• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemsoning

I am an optimist by nature. That said, i fully expect to get thrashed. However, surprisingly, Grobe has has this team in position to win against CU teams that were supposed to be much better than us at least 3 times in the last 10+ years. The first time was when Jimmy Mac, who threw less than 10 ints in the season before had 4 or 5 in one game and Barclay fumbled for a safety. Second was the BS ref job we got in OT the next time we went down there. The third being the last time we went there 2 years ago when a combination of bad calls (TE out of bounds on a TD), blown INTS (We dropped 4-5 Tajd Boyd picks), blown FGs (thanks Jimmy N), and conservative 4th q prevent D prevented us from going to the ACC Championship (thats ok, was the coldest Orange Bowl in history).

zqglass - can you be a little more clear??? What the fuck do you mean? Are you bullish on the Deacs winning? Atta boy! Go Deacs. Its in the bag.

The spread is now 28.5, I'm going with the Deacs!

Not even clemsoning gets us a win this year. I think our one shot is if Clemson's bus driver pulls a "Marshall" and the entire team dies in a fiery crash on the way to the stadium. I'm pretty sure we would pull it out, but our defense will have to carry us.

I expect a similar outcome to last year. I just don't see any way we can stay in this game considering how we've looked this season. Even if Clemson comes out lethargic and Boyd sleepwalks and Harris has a big day and Price hits all his throws and our defense plays inspired and everything aligns perfectly...I think we still lose by 2+ scores.

I was there for the 82-24 beatdown in 1981 (or whatever the hell year it was--I spent most of my 4 years under a barstool at the Safari Room so it all runs together at this point). I fear that score may be a best-case scenario, as I can see them scoring 82 but I can't see us scoring 24.

I was there for the 82-24 beatdown in 1981 (or whatever the hell year it was--I spent most of my 4 years under a barstool at the Safari Room so it all runs together at this point). I fear that score may be a best-case scenario, as I can see them scoring 82 but I can't see us scoring 24.

CFN gives us no shot.

Wake Forest (2-2) at Clemson (3-0) Sept. 28, 3:30, ESPNU

Why You Should Give A Hoot: No. 3 Clemson survived its first road trip of the year, a Thursday night affair in Raleigh that might have been a bear trap for recent teams. Instead, the Tigers took care of business against NC State, another sign that they might be in the national title hunt for the long haul. T-minus three weeks before Florida State descends upon Death Valley, though head coach Dabo Swinney is taking every step possible to make sure his kids remain focused on one game at a time. Wake Forest evened its record with last week’s much-needed victory over Army at West Point. Still, the Demon Deacons are a flawed team that will need an upset or two along the way to play games beyond Nov. 30.

Why Wake Forest Might Win: The Deacons are quietly playing stingy defense through the first month of the season. No, they haven’t faced an attack like Clemson’s, but they’ve yet to allow an opponent score 24 points in a game. Wake Forest has been especially tough on third downs and in the red zone, taking its lead from three seniors, NG Nikita Whitlock, DE Zach Thompson and LB Mike Olson.

Why Clemson Might Win: Hey, even if the Tigers punt a few more times than normal, how many points will it take to outscore Wake Forest? 20? The Deacons are one of the lowest-scoring teams in America, dribbling out just 18 points a game. Clemson will hit that number in at least one quarter on Saturday afternoon. While the Tigers would benefit from the addition of another weapon or two, they’ll be okay as long as QB Tajh Boyd is dissecting the other team’s defense.

Who To Watch Out For: Sammy Watkins is Boyd’s undisputed favorite target. However, Martavis Bryant’s two touchdown receptions in the win over the Pack were huge for the overall development of the attack going forward. Clemson needs more than just Watkins in the passing game.

- Wake Forest’s inability to run the ball is a perennial problem that isn’t going away. Tanner Price to Michael Campanaro is a nice starting point, but beating Clemson requires balance and an ability to play keep-away from Boyd.

- The Deacons will lose the battle at the line of scrimmage with the Clemson D-line. DE Vic Beasley is quickly becoming the front man, but DT Grady Jarrett and DE Corey Crawford will also flush Price from the pocket.

What Will Happen: Wake Forest won’t present much of a threat on Saturday, especially playing on the road. Once Clemson takes a lead in the first quarter, this one will essentially be over. The Deacons are in no position to go stride-for-stride with one of the premier offenses in the ACC. The Tigers won’t break sweat this week, even getting the backups snaps late in the game.

Prediction: Clemson 41 … Wake Forest 13

Must See Rating: (5 Rush – 1 Dads) … 2.5
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1328454.html

I will be in Death Valley this weekend. Anyone else enjoy sadomasochism?

I'll be there. A buddy of mine scored me a field pass. I get to see the massacre up close.

Anyone familiar with the area know of any good bars to go to friday night? Is "downtown" Clemson worth checking out?

All valid points but you forget the most important requirement at Death Valley. Zebras have to give us some breaks unlike the usual officiating(4 pass interference call in a row, 8 Holding calls in the first half alone, catching the game tying TD with one foot out of bounds) all things we have seen down there in the past.

Watching that 1981 game, it's kind of cool hearing the announcers talk about William Perry. Also, Kenny Duckett was LEGIT! I miss that guy.

Halloween 1981. When you watch the video, Groh would not let Schofield audible. That's why on the opening series, when they brought the ILBs, the play was over because we would not switch out of that formation and bring the wing inside to block. After that game the Tigers were voted #1.

Oh wow, in looking up Kenny Duckett I see he passed away in 1998 at the age of 38.
Kenny Duckett was diagnosed with diabetes in the 10th grade and was told by doctors to quit the R.J. Reynolds High School football team. He didn't.
Kenny Duckett was a part of that special 1979 Deacon football team, pairing up with fellow Deacon wide receiver Wayne Baumgardner to snag many of quarterback Jay Venuto's long range passes. In 1980 Duckett caught 12 touchdown passes to set an ACC record. By graduation, Duckett was third on Wake Forest's all-time receiving list with 109 catches for 1,507 yards and 19 touchdowns. He earned Wake's Arnold Palmer Award (Male Athlete of the Year) as well as the ACC's Brian Piccolo Award. In 1981 Duckett was named the Nils V. "Swede" Nelson Sportsmanship National Award winner.

His condition constantly dragged him down, but somehow, Duckett continued to spring back up.

Because of his ability to persevere, Duckett was a natural role model. He worked extensively with the Forsyth Chapter of the American Diabetes Association, particularly finding heart in working with young children. He gave speeches all over the country, inspiring those who had completely lost hope.

The featured article below was written following the 1979 season. Also included are additional pieces that traced Duckett's career at Wake Forest and through his time with the New Orleans Saints, and a final story written shortly after his kidneys failed in 1993. Duckett passed away in 1998 at the age of 38.
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072209aad.html

So this is what we're back to -- hoping a good opponent will pull an epic boner so that we have a chance of winning.

We have one win over a top 5 team in the history of the school.

Yeah, but we've occasionally thought we had a puncher's chance against superior competition.

Back