• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Road Game/Travel Thread

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
Making an inaugural trip to the Iron Bowl this year and figured the topic is broad enough to merit its own thread.

Anyone ever been to Auburn for one of these games? I plan on taking a thorough rogering on the price of admission, so I am looking for advice on reasonable, habitable lodging (Air-B&Singlewide.com isn't live yet). Any relevant (or irrelevant but amusing) advice sure to be appreciated.

Not going to the Iron Bowl but for the SEC I'll be making my 3rd Cocktail Party in a row as well as heading to the Swamp for the home opener vs NMSU.

Following the Deacs, I'll be there for the game vs Clemson and will be making a trip to UNC for the first time. I've always heard bad things about the tailgating atmosphere there but we are planning on bringing a fairly large party so any ideas on how to snag a decent parking spot would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not tailgate in a parking deck....

Haven't been to the Iron Bowl, but I've been to a number of games at Auburn.
It's almost a 'game-week' experience rather than 'game-day'. They have a huge field for RVs that will start arriving on Wednesday or Thursday for big games.
Also, I've come to appreciate orange dresses. The vast majority of the girls/women wear them.
Since the stadium only holds about 87,000, thousands of fans come without tickets for the pre-game activities and then watch the game on big screen tvs at their RVs.

Not going to the Iron Bowl but for the SEC I'll be making my 3rd Cocktail Party in a row as well as heading to the Swamp for the home opener vs NMSU.

Following the Deacs, I'll be there for the game vs Clemson and will be making a trip to UNC for the first time. I've always heard bad things about the tailgating atmosphere there but we are planning on bringing a fairly large party so any ideas on how to snag a decent parking spot would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not tailgate in a parking deck....

Here to help....

Yes, you can tailgate conveniently in a parking deck within meandering distance of the stadium. It is close, affordable, accessible and uninspiring. There are plenty of other options.

Most UNC STHs have a pass to one of the lots on campus. You can usually find one of those on the open market. Best lot for such activity is by the Dean Dome (easy to get to, lots of people and the admissions office has ensured that no Statefans will be there). Other than that, most of the lots on campus are all pretty good; the closer the better.

If not, then there are several pay lots within walking distance of BKS. The one I recommend is run by the "Friends" Society. If you are coming up Raleigh road from the 54 exit off of I-40 (exit 273) it is on the immediate right, right as you get into main campus. Come early (two hours before kick is "early") and you should have no problem finding a rental spot to tailgate. $20.00 is market rate.

From the South (coming up 15-501 from Pittsboro, and then don't exit to merge with 54 (instead stay straight up the Hill on Pittsboro Street), same thing $20.00, two hours before gameday and you can open air tailgate.

From the North, good luck. I'm sure you can rent a space for $20.00ish, but it will be tucked into the side of someone's apartment building. The better options are from the South and East.

If you've never been to Chapel Hill before, at least walk up and down Franklin Street an hour before kickoff.

Death Valley for Clemson/App early in the season. Probably the only road game I'll hit all season for the 'Neers/Deacs

Making an inaugural trip to the Iron Bowl this year and figured the topic is broad enough to merit its own thread.

Anyone ever been to Auburn for one of these games? I plan on taking a thorough rogering on the price of admission, so I am looking for advice on reasonable, habitable lodging (Air-B&Singlewide.com isn't live yet). Any relevant (or irrelevant but amusing) advice sure to be appreciated.

I have been to Auburn for a UF/Auburn game. It's great. One of their alumni started a tailgate company where they will set up tents and coolers for your whole crew, so you just have to show up with food and beer. My wife's cousin rented one of those and it was sweet. Right in front of Jordan-Hare. The campus is very nice. Per usual with SEC, game weekends are cray.

this year will be my first trip to the big house

hate the school up north, but looking forward to the ann arbor experience, going decked out in scarlet and gray

trying to make it to lehigh-lafayette too

Going to a LSU home game this year don't know which one though. Anyone ever been?

Never been to that one but it is on my bucket list. I am going down to see the 12th Man this year on Halloween when the Gamecocks invade College Station. Hopefully a good game, but I just want to see that place and now they have their renovations complete and I think they seat 105,000. Last year they came to Williams Brice & Kenny The Thrill put up over 500 yards on the Cocks bad defense to expose them. Then something happened to him and he snapped mentally, Ought to be a site to see down there. You ought to have a blast at the Iron Bowl!

Also going to see The Boys play the Seahawks in Jerry's World on Sunday before flying back home on Monday.

Last edited:
I'll be driving to Kentucky for the Thursday night vs Auburn. Then onto Columbus for a Friday night Bluejackets game and Buckeyes vs Penn State Saturday night. The Steelers and Browns are each playing home games on Sunday, but we haven't figured out whether to go to either one of those games. Also we're going to the Syracuse game and then on to Buffalo to see Rex take on the Colts.

Going to a LSU home game this year don't know which one though. Anyone ever been?

Went to the 'Bama game in '12. Saw many pots of gumbo being stirred by boat oars. One guy had the whole side of his trailer covered in TVs with nothing but football games on. If you go to a night game, the crowd is pretty well lubed up. Day games are tame in comparison.

Anyone heard if they're doin the boat up the Hudson again this year? Might try and partake in that if avail

I'll be driving to Kentucky for the Thursday night vs Auburn. Then onto Columbus for a Friday night Bluejackets game and Buckeyes vs Penn State Saturday night. The Steelers and Browns are each playing home games on Sunday, but we haven't figured out whether to go to either one of those games. Also we're going to the Syracuse game and then on to Buffalo to see Rex take on the Colts.
Make a plan to go to Keeneland while you're in Lexington. The fall meet will be in session then, and there will probably be a trolley from the track to the game.

Here to help....

Yes, you can tailgate conveniently in a parking deck within meandering distance of the stadium. It is close, affordable, accessible and uninspiring. There are plenty of other options.

Most UNC STHs have a pass to one of the lots on campus. You can usually find one of those on the open market. Best lot for such activity is by the Dean Dome (easy to get to, lots of people and the admissions office has ensured that no Statefans will be there). Other than that, most of the lots on campus are all pretty good; the closer the better.

If not, then there are several pay lots within walking distance of BKS. The one I recommend is run by the "Friends" Society. If you are coming up Raleigh road from the 54 exit off of I-40 (exit 273) it is on the immediate right, right as you get into main campus. Come early (two hours before kick is "early") and you should have no problem finding a rental spot to tailgate. $20.00 is market rate.

From the South (coming up 15-501 from Pittsboro, and then don't exit to merge with 54 (instead stay straight up the Hill on Pittsboro Street), same thing $20.00, two hours before gameday and you can open air tailgate.

From the North, good luck. I'm sure you can rent a space for $20.00ish, but it will be tucked into the side of someone's apartment building. The better options are from the South and East.

If you've never been to Chapel Hill before, at least walk up and down Franklin Street an hour before kickoff.

Attending a UNC football game will give you a new appreciation for the parking and tailgate atmosphere at Wake. Last UNC game I went to we parked almost in Carrborro and tailgated at our car on the sidewalk (and be sure to keep the booze in a cup). Even had to tailgate in a parking deck for a high school championship game a few years back. Worst game experience of any road game I've been to.

We ended up at the top of a parking deck @ Duke in 2011. We had a crew of 25+ (including many posters), and got nice and sauced despite the earlier game time. That ended up being our 12th straight win over Duke in the series.

...of course, we've dropped the last three :rulz:

Should be going to Death Valley for the Clemson/app game & over to Knoxville for the Tennessee/WCU if all works out.

Back