• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Hoops "Bad Jobs"

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10987296/looking-bad-head-coaching-jobs-college-basketball

Can't argue with Clemson and BC, but 3 ACC schools and no SEC?

Clemson
Clemson is a football school. Basketball is not the priority. Never will be. Littlejohn Coliseum is a 10,000-seat arena, but the school's average attendance was 7,743, 61st nationally in 2012-13. Plus, Frank Martin's move to South Carolina has made recruiting within the region more competitive. The university just signed Brad Brownell to a six-year extension after the Tigers reached the NIT semifinals in March. He's 74-58 overall in four seasons at Clemson. The team hasn't earned an invite to the Big Dance since 2011, yet the program will reportedly owe Brownell between $3 million and $5 million if it fires him before his contract expires. That doesn't sound like a school that's committed to basketball as much as a university that just doesn't want to deal with any major changes in basketball anytime soon.

Florida State
What makes Florida State a great job? The Seminoles possess a nice practice facility but their home venue, the Donald L. Tucker Center, is a public facility with a lukewarm atmosphere for home games. But that's not the program's most significant issue. Leonard Hamilton has to battle a collection of coaches around the state who have found more success on the statewide and national recruiting landscape in recent years. Billy Donovan has multiple national titles. Former Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua just moved to South Florida. And Florida Gulf Coast -- also, "Dunk City" -- still has a chance to grow, especially as more prospects take a trip to Ft. Myers and catch a glimpse of that resort-like campus. Plus, the shadow cast by a Florida State football team that just won the national championship is large.

Boston College
After an 8-24 finish, Steve Donahue was fired by BC. It wasn't unexpected. The Eagles had a strong run in the 2000s (seven NCAA tourney appearances from 2001-09). They also boast a list of former college standouts such as Reggie Jackson, Craig Smith, Troy Bell and Jared Dudley. But Boston is one of the most successful sports climates in America. The Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox and New England Patriots have all earned titles in the past six years. Championships are the norm for the city. An average Boston College basketball program that hasn't contended for the ACC title in years gets lost each season. Doesn't help that Boston College's hockey team has won three national titles in the past six years. Boston College basketball isn't even a top-two on its own campus.

Last edited:
No SEC schools is laughable. Agree that Clemson is a place to die as a basketball coach, but I think there is potential if they would just spend some money on basketball facilities. Also, I think a 7,700 average is decent for a football first school going through an NIT season in basketball.

7700 sounds real good to me...btw, what was our ave attendance last year (butts in seats NOT those bogus figures put out for public consumption)?

They have Oregon St but not Wash St? The Valley in Oregon is a way better place to be than the high basketball desert that is Eastern Washington. Bennett got Wash St to a couple of NCAAs but with little athletic talent. And FSU isn't that bad a job. It's better than Clemson, VT, BC and Miami. They just have a bad arena. They've had a lot of solid teams there over the years.

Yeah, Auburn only has eight NCAA appearances, in its entire basketball history (110 years).

Northwestern. 'nuff said. Never made the NCAA

No SEC schools is laughable. Agree that Clemson is a place to die as a basketball coach, but I think there is potential if they would just spend some money on basketball facilities. Also, I think a 7,700 average is decent for a football first school going through an NIT season in basketball.

SEC Basketball is pretty awful. However I don't really ever see the media crushing the SEC as a terrible basketball conference, the way the crush the ACC for being mediocre in football. Especially when you have SEC fan Jimmy Dykes routinely predicting that the SEC will get 6-7 bids in the NCAA Tournament each year. (only to be wrong just about every year) I mean..the SEC got three teams (out of fourteen) to the NCAA Tournament this past year. That is terrible.

Georgia, Mississippi, Auburn, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and South Carolina all have pretty poor basketball histories. South Carolina had a nice little run when McGuire was the coach and when they were a member of the ACC (but that was over 40 years ago)

Back