• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Commencement

Who is Dean Shore? I see he is apparently a barber but when did he become/why is he a big deal??

(Graduated pre-Facebook)

He's the campus barber, but he's also really into photography. So he friends every Wake student he can find on Facebook (that's what Colbert's reference was to), goes to basically every campus event, takes hundreds of photos, uploads them to Facebook and tags the students in them.

Sometimes it's awesome to have these (relatively) high quality photos of you (Dean Shore took by far the best picture of me at graduation that anybody did). Sometimes they catch you doing things you would rather not have online like being drunk at a tailgate or at Last Resort (this is the student bar by campus that everyone goes to on Thursdays, and yes, Dean sometimes goes to take photos).

At the end of the day, he is a really genuinely nice guy, but the obsession of taking photos of students can make him come off like a creepy old guy sometimes.

He's the campus barber, but he's also really into photography. So he friends every Wake student he can find on Facebook (that's what Colbert's reference was to), goes to basically every campus event, takes hundreds of photos, uploads them to Facebook and tags the students in them.

Sometimes it's awesome to have these (relatively) high quality photos of you (Dean Shore took by far the best picture of me at graduation that anybody did). Sometimes they catch you doing things you would rather not have online like being drunk at a tailgate or at Last Resort (this is the student bar by campus that everyone goes to on Thursdays, and yes, Dean sometimes goes to take photos).

At the end of the day, he is a really genuinely nice guy, but the obsession of taking photos of students can make him come off like a creepy old guy sometimes.

To be fair, I think WFU actually pays him to take photos at some of the events.

To be fair, I think WFU actually pays him to take photos at some of the events.
Are you sure about this? Wake has a contracted/salaried professional photographer they've used for years.

I know Dean Shore has gotten press passes to individual events, though.

Also, if some of you can remember way back, he used to be a consistent contributor to the boards under a pretty conspicuous handle.

Are you sure about this? Wake has a contracted/salaried professional photographer they've used for years.

Also, if some of you can remember way back, he used to be a consistent contributor to the boards under a pretty conspicuous handle.

Yeah, he was BobHWS before BobHWS on the old boards (along with GenePhoto)

Last time I checked THIS MORNING, he had nearly 1000 likes on his Facebook comment about Colbert's shoutout. Deserved.

~1,500 likes now. That provides perspective to the amount of Facebook friends/presence Dean has.

So randomly I met/knew Dean way back before his WFUBarber days. My church youth group used to go to Great Escape in Bristol, VA/TN every year (a Presbyterian church camp thing at King College), and he used to be a youth leader at Reynolda Pres (I think?). And somehow our two youth groups were friendly and met up with each other every summer.

Then I ran into him/met him again once I was at Wake (although I think he was not the barber then? From 1999-2003).

Random.

I think he has been hired on a very, very few occasions, but most of the time he is just doing it for fun. His photos, especially of sports, aren't quite professional quality

I remember my roommate would get haircuts there and thought he was kinda creepy in his role just as barber. guess it's much bigger than that.

I didn't mind getting my hair cut on campus. Dean is so well-connected with the AD and Administration (IIRC he is/was the barber for Hatch and Wellman), that he almost always had an interesting tidbit or #scoop related to our sports program or campus in general.

I think he has been hired on a very, very few occasions, but most of the time he is just doing it for fun. His photos, especially of sports, aren't quite professional quality

Right, they're not going to pay their expensive photographer to take pictures at casual events.. I know for a fact WFU contracted with him to take photos at a lot of the alumni gatherings/events last homecoming.

Sorry - not saying that bobHWS is the Wake photographer, just that Dean filled the board niche of posting pictures of sporting events, along with GenePhoto, that bobHWS fills now.

Ah, gotcha; I misunderstood your comment. Agreed, Cookout, Wake isn't sending their staff guy to Last Resort to take pictures of drunken college students.

One downside of the expansion of class sizes is that graduation now really takes forever. By the time everyone finished walking, it was almost 1 pm - that's a five-hour long ceremony.

If Wake keeps expanding they will get to the point where people won't be able to walk individually, which would be a real shame

If Wake keeps expanding they will get to the point where people won't be able to walk individually, which would be a real shame

Or the College of Liberal Arts and College of Arts and Sciences (or whatever we call them) will convene in separate locations immediately after all of the general ceremony bits have concluded. Lots of schools do that.

Back