• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Computer Problem

OblongPickle

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what to do this...it's happening on my laptop:

At first it was just every now and then...and could be fixed by restarting...but now it won't go away, even after restarting.

How old is the laptop? Looks hardware related, so a new laptop may be the best bet if your current is older and/or not warrantied.

My Mac Powerbook did something like that and it needed a new screen.

Graphics card or screen issue. Can you boot into safe mode?

If you hook the laptop up to an external monitor and the external monitor does all the same shit its the graphics card. If the external monitor displays normal while the screen goes crazy, its the screen.

Well now I restarted and it's going thru the start-up repair.

The screen is working for the moment.

And after checking for driver updates 10 times before, after it boots I get a message that AMD Catalyst has an update available.

Well now I restarted and it's going thru the start-up repair.

That's just because you've been booting it down with the power button rather than via software.

The screen is working for the moment.

It's almost definitely a hardware problem, so I would expect it to come back. As other's have mentioned, there are ways to check to see if it's the screen or video card, but either way, it very much depends on the make/model and age of your laptop to determine the best step going forward.

Sometimes drivers can cause those types of issues as well, you'll just have to see if the update fixes it.

lol @ ATI/AMD drivers. Worthless!

It Was a cheap laptop I bought When I as strapped for cash...(Lenovo G555)

I have a desktop that I use now

Back