• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Pay me a couple mil and I’ll actually sit down and figure something out. I already mentioned pushing for an ACCN2. He has basically nothing else to do but sit and think about this question 365 days a year. The other one is simply pushing ESPN for more money since they cannot afford to lose this content even with their terrible financial situation.

Hell, here are two more out of the box ideas. Take over ads from ESPN for ACCN and sell to non-infomercials and take a cut. Have every game be sponsored. The Ron Desantis for President Miami @ FSU game. The Tobacco Lobby NCSU @ WFU game. It doesn’t just have to be bowl games and opening week neutral site games with sponsors. You can piece together a lot of small things. It doesn’t have to be one giant thing.
Who is clamoring for an ACCN2?

If you need this much ACC content aren't you paying for ESPN+?

only if there is demand for it. no one is paying for an ad on ACCN2 if no one is watching it
Someone is paying for ads on every channel. It doesn’t have to be 24 hour programming, but you can put games on regular TV instead of ACCNX.

Someone is paying for ads on every channel. It doesn’t have to be 24 hour programming, but you can put games on regular TV instead of ACCNX.
Isn't that what ACCNX is?

Not sure I understand the difference between what ACCN2 would be and what ACCNX currently is. Currently, when there are basketball, baseball or other sports involving ACC teams that aren't televised on ESPN or ACCN, those games are available on ACCNX. It's not 24 hour programming, but an available outlet to see ACC games that would not otherwise be available, which is would be the same as ACCN2, except that ACCNX can show every ACC baseball game when there are multiple games played on a Friday night.

Isn't that what ACCNX is?

Not sure I understand the difference between what ACCN2 would be and what ACCNX currently is. Currently, when there are basketball, baseball or other sports involving ACC teams that aren't televised on ESPN or ACCN, those games are available on ACCNX. It's not 24 hour programming, but an available outlet to see ACC games that would not otherwise be available, which is would be the same as ACCN2, except that ACCNX can show every ACC baseball game when there are multiple games played on a Friday night.
ACCNX is not bringing in ad revenue. Even when it shows ads, they aren’t as expensive because it is streaming instead of on actual TV.

This ad revenue discussion is ridiculous. The ACC is not about to open an office to sell advertising on ESPN platforms. First, it has no legal ability to do so. Second, such a venture is a money-losing proposition. The inventory you're selling is basically worth next to nothing and as Pilchard and Windy just pointed out, already being sold, likely as part of a larger ESPN package.

Y’all. I don’t work for the ACC. I was simply pointing out that in 2 minutes while taking a shit this morning I could come up with ways to at least try to bridge the gap and that if you’re getting paid well to work on solely this then you should have some damn ideas by this point.

Yes, in two minutes you were able to come up with a bunch of crap to fling at a wall to see it it would stick.

Yes, in two minutes you were able to come up with a bunch of crap to fling at a wall to see it it would stick.
Having companies sponsor games isn’t a dumb idea. Belk and Chick-fil-a have paid to sponsor mediocre games in Charlotte and Atlanta for years. No reason why companies wouldn’t sponsor other games.

So you want them to sponsor the telecast or the actual physical game ? And how much would you charge for that ? Because I'm going to tell you that running a commercial on ACCN shouldn't cost more that $50.

So you want them to sponsor the telecast or the actual physical game ? And how much would you charge for that ? Because I'm going to tell you that running a commercial on ACCN shouldn't cost more that $50.
The physical game. Just like bowls, kickoff games, etc.

The physical game. Just like bowls, kickoff games, etc.

So you don't think the sports marketing departments of every single ACC school aren't doing everything they can to bring sponsorship to each of their home games ?

What's the value add here for the advertiser ? They've already spent tons of money sponsoring the school's entire athletic program, paying for signage, making commercials where they state that they're a partner. But you're proposing that the ACC should come in and ask Wells Fargo if they want to pay an additional $100K so that the broadcasters on some second rate telecast of the UNC v. Virginia game will say that they're watching the Wells Fargo UNC v UVA game ? And I guess Wells can do as much additional advertising around that privilege as they like. Is that right ?

I would rather the ACC be a second rate conference financially than have every fucking item at the game sponsored even more than it already is.

And BTW, wouldn't it be cool if Regions Bank rolled into Chapel Hill and sponsored a football game after Wells Fargo spent millions of dollars with UNC-CH and the ACC.

Back