• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

That is market share. UVA and UNC deliver an area with 20 million people and which is growing.

That is market share. UVA and UNC deliver an area with 20 million people and which is growing.
Which is now only relevant to over the air broadcast television. It doesn’t matter where people live when they are watching games on their phone. Regional population means fuck all now

FSU is not leaving the ACC. At least not now.

Agreed. But call their bluff and put a number out there that makes some sense for the ACC. Let it leak. Forces them to shut up or put up.

ACC can project strength here. Letting FSU have a megaphone used only at shitting on the conference profile is not the best thing for the ACC at the moment, and it is only going to get louder (and less expensive) for them to leave.

Don’t UNC and UVA have comparatively tiny student enrollment compared to Big Ten schools? Just being the flagship in a big state does not mean you have a big 10 type fan base

UVA doesn’t have that kind of broad support but UNC definitely has a B1G size/style fanbase. As Pilchard said, massive nationwide cache.

Yeah wouldn’t VT be a much bigger draw from there? And seems like the B10 likes schools with engineering and ag stuff.
VT's endowment would be the lowest in the current Big Ten (among the incoming members, only Oregon has a smaller endowment).

Virginia would have the third highest endowment behind only Michigan and Northwestern.

Also, as has previously been stated, Virginia is part of the AAU and VT is not.

Why would the present day value lump sum be anywhere near $700 million? Interest rates are high. FSU gets a deal for $50 mil/year over 13 years. That is $650 million. Plus the exit fee. Think someone said that is $120 million. So that’s $770 million payable over 13 years.

According to a free present value calculator online the present value is $365 million. You’d likely have to reduce that slightly but fine, take the present value and distribute it now, put it to good use, get rid of a malcontent (it is not good for the ACC to have FSU bitching about how shitty the ACC is) and add two schools to show you are moving forward with a plan.

a stream of 13 $50 million annual payments starting a year from now is worth $395 million (at 8%) to $442 million (at 6%). Add in $120 million up front, that's $515-$562 million

I get that Virginia is a decent sized state, but Northern California has roughly twice as many people. They just don't really care about college football; then again, I'm not convinced Virginians do either.

BTW, while NC State and VT think that they would join their in-state brothers for the ride. Don't think so. The current Big 10 (and/or SEC) members don't want to divide their shares to even smaller pieces unless the overall take is bigger. UNC would at least arguably grow the pie to justify sharing (like USC and UCLA), but if the Big 10 has UNC, NC State does nothing to grow the pie; the Pack could never justify reducing a share. Same with UVA and VT. As stated by others, so far, UNC remains committed to the ACC because they are the Big Dogs here. UNC would be just another of 20 in the Big 10, and in the SEC, basketball remains an afterthought. So, there is a glimmer that the ACC could ride this out at least for a few more years, and maybe the climate changes. Just enjoy each season as it comes.

FSU likes to tout the statistic that they bring in 15% of TV viewership but only gets 7% of the revenue. If they want to leave, seems like they should reimburse the ACC for 15% of the TV revenue annually.

So if the rumor of the ACC extending bids to Stanford and Cal are true what name does the Atlantic Coast Conference then take should they join. The Coastal But Venturing into Kentucky and Indiana Conference? CBVIKAIC?
Indiana has a coast

I don't know much about the process, but what are the hurdles? I suspect it may be related to scientific research and post-graduate programs, but is it a worthy and achievable goal?
We have only been around since 1834. Probably need a few more years

Indiana has a coast

I mean I guess Kentucky does too if you count the Ohio River.

Which is now only relevant to over the air broadcast television. It doesn’t matter where people live when they are watching games on their phone. Regional population means fuck all now

It may not matter where but “where” is how to get growth. Who else could they pick up to grow viewership?

If they had Stanford, that shouldn’t count as one of ND’s games especially if they want to play annually.

Why don’t you try applying to Wake Law? A Georgia Cracker slighting WF Law is pretty funny.
giphy.gif

a stream of 13 $50 million annual payments starting a year from now is worth $395 million (at 8%) to $442 million (at 6%). Add in $120 million up front, that's $515-$562 million

Good point on the math. I just used lump sums as opposed to annual payments and assumed all came due in 13 years because that was format for first calculator I found.

So then the real question becomes what is FSU worth as a disgruntled member vs what would it be worth to let them go and get paid tons of money now. Use the present value payment calculation as a framework but discounts would need to be applied. I think the $350 million number is probably right. No where near $700 million.

As Pilch mentioned, won’t happen, but if Bubba had come out and said “I think the ACC would be fine letting FSU go for $350 million, which would be a big discount on what they’d owe under our GOR. If they don’t want to be here, that is the price.” (I know Bubba can’t say that, but right now our commish is an awful public speaker and toxic figure. I wish Bubba was in charge as opposed to Phillips).

Back