• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I'm starting to just not care anymore. As I've said before, the ACC can make any move they want as long as it means Wake has a seat at the adult table. If it's WSU and OSU, fuck it, let's do it. If it's Tulane. Go for it. If it's ECU I'll vomit, but take it.

On a related note, bowl games are determined by conference affiliation. What will bowl games look like in the future if there are 700 teams per conference? Will they just be intraconference battles that didn't happen in the regular season that are played at neutral/bowl sites?

I'm starting to just not care anymore. As I've said before, the ACC can make any move they want as long as it means Wake has a seat at the adult table. If it's WSU and OSU, fuck it, let's do it. If it's Tulane. Go for it. If it's ECU I'll vomit, but take it.

On a related note, bowl games are determined by conference affiliation. What will bowl games look like in the future if there are 700 teams per conference? Will they just be intraconference battles that didn't happen in the regular season that are played at neutral/bowl sites?

ACC #3 v. SEC #12

Always have been (except Wake vs. Navy in the Military Bowl and I'm sure some other games).

Bowls will still be SEC vs. Big Ten matchups outside the CFP contenders with maybe one ACC vs. SEC, ACC vs. Big Ten, Big XII vs. SEC, and Big XII vs. Big Ten. Then maybe 2 or 3 ACC vs. Big XII and the rest 6-6 or 7-5 P5 vs. G5 programs.

So not much different except 8 more CFP teams.

Always have been (except Wake vs. Navy in the Military Bowl and I'm sure some other games).

Bowls will still be SEC vs. Big Ten matchups outside the CFP contenders with maybe one ACC vs. SEC, ACC vs. Big Ten, Big XII vs. SEC, and Big XII vs. Big Ten. Then maybe 2 or 3 ACC vs. Big XII and the rest 6-6 or 7-5 P5 vs. G5 programs.

So not much different except 8 more CFP teams.
Always have been intraconference?

I assumed he meant interconference. No, there wouldn't be intraconference bowl games. There haven't been with 16 teams. There won't be with 20-24.

If the schools trying to depart are chiefly concerned about falling behind in revenue behind the schools they are recruiting against, then presumably they expect to just join one of those 3 conferences and immediately be given an equal share, no mind to the penalty for leaving the ACC? I don’t understand how that math works. If ESPN is paying 30 million for your games as an ACC member, why would ESPN be interested in paying you 50 million for games in the SEC?
I think the SEC has a pro rata clause in its TV contract too, so they could try to stop it by lobbying enough schools to vote no, but ultimately they don't have a say. Maybe they can hang the prospect of lowering the payouts in a future contract negotiations over their head, but idk. Might be wrong about their pro rata clause though.

The penalty for leaving the ACC is the biggest blocker in here imo. Like cool, you were making $20 million less than SEC schools? Well now you're making $50 million less.

7-year scheduling model being kicked around.

I did chuckle at the 7 year timeframe, but I suppose they need to come forward with a plan. Highly doubt the ACC will be exactly the same in 2030.

Highlights:

The current 14 teams will have a total of 3 trips to the West Coast over the next 7 years, and get a combined total of 3 home games vs those two schools. SMU would play Cal and Stanford (either home or away) every year.

An uneven number of annual rivalries will be maintained, similar to the B1G model in which some schools have 2 rivals, some have none.

Wake Forest - NC State being kicked around as possible annual rivals again (we’ll see about that; we know that cow is not a sacred as UNC-UVA among others)

Notre Dame’s annual game with Stanford not expected to count towards their 5 average games per year, at least every year.

When ND was lobbying to add Stanford, heard that not counting the ND/Stanford game as part of ND's 5 ACC game commitment was part of the pitch. Realize many hate the ND affiliation, but ND @ NC State, ND @ Duke and ND @ L'ville, have brought big ratings and attention to the ACC.

When ND was lobbying to add Stanford, heard that not counting the ND/Stanford game as part of ND's 5 ACC game commitment was part of the pitch. Realize many hate the ND affiliation, but ND @ NC State, ND @ Duke and ND @ L'ville, have brought big ratings and attention to the ACC.
Or just more attention to ND

I’ve also never met an ND fan who attended ND.
Which is why they have their own TV network. These days, unfortunately, the only thing that matters about a college football team is "How many TV viewers will watch their games?"

A school that has a lot of fans with no direct connection to the school is very beneficial. Lots of people wearing UNC and Duke gear also have no direct connection to those schools and that helps them. If the ACC ever does fall apart, the schools with the best TV ratings and most fans will get invited to join the remaining conferences.

If the ACC ever dwindles down to just a few schools, as happened with the PAC 12, who do you think those schools would be?

People don't hate the ND affiliation. They hate that it's not a full affiliation.
I was there. But once it came out that there is a provision that if ND is going to join a conference, it has to be the ACC, I've realized that ND is basically in the ACC. They just have their independent TV deal and indy label but the ND-ACC affiliation is bringing way more to the table than not.

I was there. But once it came out that there is a provision that if ND is going to join a conference, it has to be the ACC, I've realized that ND is basically in the ACC. They just have their independent TV deal and indy label but the ND-ACC affiliation is bringing way more to the table than not.

Could it not have been negotiated at the time for ND to yes keep their independent TV deal until expiration, but without the indy label and then all-in 8 game ACC football schedule vs. the 5 games? We were in a position of power when ND needed games during 2020 COVID and blew it.

ND could have kept their current NBC TV contract, and the ACC would be in a much better position now.

Back