• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Yeah …. Uhhhh…. Let’s change the subject away from March madness success the last ten years. But revisit later this year when Forbes breaks through to final 4.

Change of pace needed. Feel free to discuss how basketball may be affected. Excerpt from SI:

Stanford, Cal and SMU have combined to win zero men’s NCAA tournament games since the start of the 2014–15 season and have made three combined appearances in the Big Dance in that stretch. SMU hasn’t advanced in March Madness in more than three decades. Cal’s history is similarly bleak; its last trip to the NCAA tournament’s second weekend more than 25 years in the rearview mirror. Stanford has some degree of tradition but at present is so handicapped by academic requirements that winning like it did under Mike Montgomery seems close to impossible.

The ACC is also a league of iconic venues and fan bases: from Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke to the “Dean Dome” in Chapel Hill to the Carrier (now JMA Wireless) Dome in Syracuse. Stanford, Cal and SMU each averaged fewer than 4,000 fans per game last season, with Cal’s attendance at a measly 2,155 per game (albeit for a 3–29 team).
Cal and Stanford have had periods of great success in basketball. I actually think being in the ACC should help them with recruiting and getting back in good shape.

BB schedules affected too -- when members become "cross-country" teams. Here's a related snippet:

When it comes to flying across the country to play a conference game, Cal and Stanford would be a double-dip single trip, of course. Per commissioner Jim Phillips on a media call Friday, when Cal and Stanford go East for ACC play, those schools would play two schools in close geographic proximity. How SMU fits in with a semi-congruent schedule and where the geography makes sense remains to be determined.

BTW, if you look around social media, SMU is planning to take over the ACC in a few years. Just watch.

Last edited:
Purdue will make way more than Wake not because Purdue is more valuable than Wake but because Purdue is in a conference with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.

If Clemson, FSU, and UNC were as valuable as Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, Wake would make as much as Purdue.

TV networks pay what the most valuable programs are worth. Those programs have agreed to get paid the same as other teams in their conference. If FSU, Clemson, and UNC forced their way out, they’d get paid the same as they do now and the teams they don’t agree to share media rights with would just make less.

Last edited:
I was nervous before about the GOR and schools banding together to essentially dissolve the ACC. With this move, that’s either now not possible or very unlikely. If FSU wants to partner with a PE group and buy their way out, they can go right ahead. Nobody is going to stroke that check to leave at this point, IMHO.

And the dream scenario would be to pull TCU from the Big XII and then grab someone else (maybe Baylor?) to join the ACC over the next few years.

I was nervous before about the GOR and schools banding together to essentially dissolve the ACC. With this move, that’s either now not possible or very unlikely. If FSU wants to partner with a PE group and buy their way out, they can go right ahead. Nobody is going to stroke that check to leave at this point, IMHO.
How big a check? If their rights are worth what they think they are, that is what B1G teams are getting, the 13 years should be about $910 million.

The number I saw is something like $500-$550 million which should go down as we get closer to the expiration date.

Yep, now that we’re in TX I’d love to find a way to expand our presence there. Wishful thinking.

conferences.png

Purdue will make way more than Wake not because Purdue is more valuable than Wake but because Purdue is in a conference with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.

If Clemson, FSU, and UNC were as valuable as Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, Wake would make as much as Purdue.

TV networks pay what the most valuable programs are worth. Those programs have agreed to get paid the same as other teams in their conference. If FSU, Clemson, and UNC forced their way out, they’d get paid the same as they do now and the teams they don’t agree to share media rights with would just make less.
Sort of. I tend to think Purdue would still be more valuable just because they are 10x the size. All other things being equal

The number I saw is something like $500-$550 million which should go down as we get closer to the expiration date.
If FSU thinks they deserve a bigger pay from the ACC, because they bring greater value then, by logical extension, they owe the ACC a greater payment if they want to leave. The GoR doesn't specify that schools owe what the ACC can get for those rights. Schools leaving owe the ACC whatever those rights bring.

If FSU thinks the ACC owes them more because the FSU rights are more valuable than what the ACC pays ($39 million), then that higher value is what they owe the ACC upon departure. FSU rights are worth what Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State et al rights are worth? OK, pay that upon departure.

Sort of. I tend to think Purdue would still be more valuable just because they are 10x the size. All other things being equal
But that's not why Purdue makes more right now. There are plenty of programs much larger than Wake that wouldn't be more valuable on the open market either. Purdue makes more than Wake because of a history of playing big-time football based on decisions made decades ago which include being in a conference with Ohio State, Michigan, and then Penn State. That's also why Wake would make more than FIU on the open market even though FIU is much larger than Wake and Purdue.

Without the pac 12, I hope we get more ACC births to ncaat. Not just more slots for b1g..

Without the pac 12, I hope we get more ACC births to ncaat. Not just more slots for b1g..
If the Pac-12 doesn't exist I guess there will be one more at-large bid. But the MWC has been getting a lot of bids lately anyway.

Back