• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

It would be interesting if the P5 schools that aren't joining the SEC or the B1G banded together into a national conference with several regional divisions. Work collectively for media packages and refuse to schedule games with the SEC or the B1G.

It would be interesting if the P5 schools that aren't joining the SEC or the B1G banded together into a national conference with several regional divisions. Work collectively for media packages and refuse to schedule games with the SEC or the B1G.

So they’d proactively form a minor league.

So they’d proactively form a minor league.
I’m not so sure it would play out like this. There would be more fans of those “minor league schools” than those in the “pro league” most likely.

Yeah but if this was a 12 team playoff FSU's seed would have dropped to 7 or 8 and they'd be playing at Missouri or Ole Miss in round one
If the ACC had not help suck the oxygen out of the room a few years ago by joining that dumb alliance thing with the PAC and B12 we would probably have had the 12 team playoff this season. But the CFP committees put a hold on it to let that cool off after the Ok/Tx start of expansion riled some folks up Phillips/ACC got caught with pants down.

The ACC is already the minor league.

True. But forming a “super league” with the Big XII would create a one bid minor league out what used to be the ACC, most of the Big XII, and most of the PAC-12. It would set up the SEC and Big XII getting 9 at-large CFP bids.

If all of those schools reached out then it means a few of those schools are also in the votes to dissolve which doesn’t make much sense. The ACC is more sustainable than the Big 12.

True. But forming a “super league” with the Big XII would create a one bid minor league out what used to be the ACC, most of the Big XII, and most of the PAC-12. It would set up the SEC and Big XII getting 9 at-large CFP bids.
When it’s all said and done, Big Ten/SEC will get 8/12 bids, one for ACC Champ, one for Big 12, one for highest rated G5, and one at-large from minors. Ironically - only way for Wake to get into CFP is to have an automatic tie in as a “minor league” conference.

Agreed. Although does making the playoff / winning the natty move the needle as much as TV revenue? FSU fans won't ever forget this, but the real driver thus far has been money. Making the playoff / natty title game / winning - that's just a one time infusion of money.

the revenue impact to FSU is actually quite unimpressive to be honest.

"A potential $6 million payout to the ACC with an FSU bid to the CFP will now become $4 million as it instead plays No. 6 Georgia in the Orange Bowl on Dec. 30. Norvell, meanwhile, will see a minimum $500,000 bonus that could have risen to $950,000 with a CFP title reduced to $200,000. Not making the CFP could also have long-term impacts on recruiting and business operations surrounding the Seminoles’ football program. "

the revenue impact to FSU is actually quite unimpressive to be honest.

"A potential $6 million payout to the ACC with an FSU bid to the CFP will now become $4 million as it instead plays No. 6 Georgia in the Orange Bowl on Dec. 30. Norvell, meanwhile, will see a minimum $500,000 bonus that could have risen to $950,000 with a CFP title reduced to $200,000. Not making the CFP could also have long-term impacts on recruiting and business operations surrounding the Seminoles’ football program. "
The $2 million payout (and FSU’s share of that) is probably only a fraction of the actual revenue impact from not being in the playoff - merch, travel packages, increased applications, increased donations, and a bunch of other things I’m sure I’m not thinking of.

The $2 million payout (and FSU’s share of that) is probably only a fraction of the actual revenue impact from not being in the playoff - merch, travel packages, increased applications, increased donations, and a bunch of other things I’m sure I’m not thinking of.
Plus, is that even the point? This is emotional. If I was an FSU fan or player, revenue would be the least of my concerns.

Last edited:
Plus, is that even the point? This is emotional. If I was an FSU fan or player, revenue would be the least of ny concerns.
Oh, totally. As far as I’m concerned, it’s all about a group of 18-23ish year old kids who did everything asked of them, overcoming the loss of not just a physical leader, but also the heart and soul of the team, and got royally screwed.

If you ever see someone associated with West Virginia or UConn talking about the imminent demise of the ACC, take it with a huge grain of salt.

I wish I didn't feel this way, but I think the FSU omission is another nail in the ACC's coffin. I mean, I hate FSU, but if I were a fan, I'd argue that being independent is not materially worse- and may be better- than being in the ACC (someone is going to mention the 12 team bracket starting next year, but this is right now).

We're spending a lot of mental effort convincing ourselves that it's OK. It's not Defcon 1, but it's definitely not OK.

I hope (and believe) that Currie and WFU are working all angles to make sure if the ACC implodes, we have an acceptable landing place.

Back