• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Why would other conferences even agree to this? Just refuse the bid. People will eventually tire of the SEC/B1G football show year in year out when its the same 8 teams every year. Like it or not, fans want parity in sports, no?

No. They want their team to be a dynasty and for their opponents to wallow in shit and piss.

Yeah, tv ratings show that while fans love upsets, they don’t love the result of upsets, which is a non-blueblood playing deep into a tournament

i think the thing that really got Va Tech in is that the Virginia state legislature passed a resolution prohibiting UVA from voting to allow any other school to join the ACC without also voting to add Va Tech.

i think the thing that really got Va Tech in is that the Virginia state legislature passed a resolution prohibiting UVA from voting to allow any other school to join the ACC without also voting to add Va Tech.
Yeah ACC was originally supposed to add Cuse instead

Some of the same type govt. intervention is being tossed around the NC legislature. Proposed language states that a UNC system scnool can't change conferences w/o the legistlature's approval, but they should just rewrite it to say "and this has nothing to do with keeping ECU or APP State from leaving the American and Sun Belt conferences respectively, and everyting to do with making sure UNC doesn't leave NCSU behind and in the dust".

Yes, the situation with VT was:

• The vote was tight as to whether or not admit VT (WF supported adding VT; UVA did not)
  • UVA opposed because Big East football had fallen apart, and if VT had no landing spot, UVA would gain a big recruiting edge (and attention edge) between two schools in the same pond
  • VT lobbied VA legislature to force UVA to change its vote, and they did
  • Because lots of other ACC schools already agreed to add VT; the politcal pressure was enough to get the Hokies in

Even if somehow bigwigs in Kentucky, Georgia and Pennsylvania pressurred UK, UGA and Penn State into supporting L'ville, GT to the SEC and Pitt to the Big 10, that will not move the needle with the rest of the conference membership that is not about to further water-down the conference.

If the Big Ten was really interested, they would have offered.

So preferred walk-ons?

I think my favorite part of this is all these Twitter talking heads just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it'll stick. Swaim Show now claims that Notre Dame will join the Big 10 alongside Texas A&M??

That’s correct: for example the legislature can’t force the SEC or Big 10 to take both UNC and NCSU, but they can deny UNC’s leaving for a conference which does not include NCSU, which has already been tossed around in Raleigh. That’s why I listed North Carolina as the most likely and GA and KY as the least likely for that scenario.
You mean like the state legislatures of Washington & Oregon making the Big Ten take Wash St & Ore St?

Back