• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

as much as I’ve cared about wake sports in my life, I’m just having a hard time getting too upset about the collapse of the ACC and Wake getting relegated to a seconds-tier conference

it’s just such a ludicrous system the way college football and basketball operates — if wake is collateral damage as it collapses under its own weight then so be it

I’ll keep cheering for wake along the way, but it’d be a lot easier to be upset if I believed the big time college sports model made any sense

The more money football programs make, the closer we are to College Presidents igniting to take back their brands from football coaches and using it to build Biology Buildings. This scene has been quite remarkable to watch. Who owns the brand? The University or the Athletic Dept. A reckoning is coming because colleges are dying.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
My own view as someone that worked for a state university system. This may be true for privates. But state schools have fans. Fans thst would vote for a new football practice field than pay for new computers in rhe lab. I think the power football presidents will gladly trade off some football if it helps either keep state politics out or helps fund some other programs at rhe school

I'd kind of love for football to be sectioned off as its own thing and let all other sports continue in the traditional conference setup. Then you actually could have relegation, as the only teams affected (by the change in conferences) would be the football teams, instead of uprooting all the Olympic sports as well.

Those schools that were proactive in leaving a collapsing conference got much better deals: see Az & Az state (or Mizzou) as opposed to Cal and Stanford.

Everyone has to look out for themsleves. If we somehow get invited to the Big 12 by jumping early we should damn sure take it. Others certainly willl.

Can anyone give me an update on that whole 2026 or 2025 deadline in the contract?

Doubt Wente is on top of this as she and the other high-level members of the Wake admin are much too preoccupied with figuring out which feature of the Reynolda campus will be the next to be named after Ron Wellman. All hail the Dear Leader, citizens!

Clemson was never going to sue the ACC until this was a done deal. Unlike FSU, they are us. The only reason for the lawsuit is now to save money. They are leaving no matter what. They never would have filed suit if they were not. It's also clear they have other co-conspirators. All this is now is the lesser knowns trying to get paid -- as we should. We are not Oregon State trying to cash in on still being the Pac 12 with all the various contracts.

Like the Big East before and the Southern Conference in 1953, the leftovers will of course keep the name. But as of today, the ACC is no more. Each school will now scramble to find a home. The UNC, Duke, and UVAs bring things to the table. Unlike in 1953, we don't have Dick Hemric. We chose not to prioritize basketball and now we have nothing to offer. It hurts to say it but we no longer even offer much academically. Our US News ranking is what it is. Our alumni giving is what it is. We are now on par with High Point and James Madison -- and we are about to be in their conference as well -- probably something called the ACC.
I'm not sure what your point is here? There is a very good chance that 2 years from now the ACC won't look like it does now. I am not sure what that will mean for Wake Forest but I don't believe we are as worthless as you apparently believe.

I don't know why Clemson people would be happy today because they filed a BS lawsuit? They may leave and the litigation may give them some leverage to save some money but if it does it will be because of some combination of weak leadership at the ACC and BS court decisions - possibly driven by politics. In any event, Clemson will have a much greater chance of fading into irrelevancy as a result of leaving. Maybe they will have a little extra money to keep them warm.

The Wake leaders should become really tight with Stanford. That’s the school that has the academic clout, athletic clout, and money to prop up a conference. And they understand that it sucks to be left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what your point is here? There is a very good chance that 2 years from now the ACC won't look like it does now. I am not sure what that will mean for Wake Forest but I don't believe we are as worthless as you apparently believe.

I don't know why Clemson people would be happy today because they filed a BS lawsuit? They may leave and the litigation may give them some leverage to save some money but if it does it will be because of some combination of weak leadership at the ACC and BS court decisions - possibly driven by politics. In any event, Clemson will have a much greater chance of fading into irrelevancy as a result of leaving. Maybe they will have a little extra money to keep them warm.

His point is to trash Wake, its leaders, and its alums, at every possible opportunity. We deserve to get left out of the ACC, he posits, because we never built an on-campus arena. And possibly also because we didn’t hire John Pelphrey or Wes Miller, who have both proven to be HOF coaches.

His point is to trash Wake, its leaders, and its alums, at every possible opportunity. We deserve to get left out of the ACC, he posits, because we never built an on-campus arena. And possibly also because we didn’t hire John Pelphrey or Wes Miller, who have both proven to be HOF coaches.

The LJVM is just too big dammit!

Now that Clemson has joined FSU in effectively announcing its desire to leave the ACC (who's next?), I wonder whether John Currie will finally address the elephant in the room. All that he has said publicly so far (in December) is that everything is fine and there is no cause for concern.

He made similar comments in a December article in the Winston-Salem Journal. With this announcement by Clemson, now is a good time for him to say more about the future of the ACC and Wake Forest sports.

Currie: "Clemson Files Lawsuit; Wake Forest Remains Committed to Core Values

As a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, Wake Forest has a 71-year history of committed stewardship of our league, unmatched academic integrity, and athletic achievements including 10 NCAA team championships, 56 ACC team championships and a recent streak of seven-straight bowl appearances from 2016-22.

While today’s news of Clemson’s lawsuit against the league is disappointing, we remain proudly focused on enhancing Wake Forest’s position amongst the highest level of intercollegiate athletics competition in the country.

We are grateful for Wake Forest President Susan R. Wente and her leadership as ACC Board of Directors Vice-Chair alongside University of Virginia President and Chair James E. Ryan and Commissioner Jim Phillips and proud of our longstanding partnership with ESPN and the ACC Network.

With our 2.7 million fans representing the fastest growing fanbase in the Power 4, elite athletics facilities, the largest corporate partnerships in our history and our dynamic home market of 1.3 million residents in the heart of North Carolina, Wake Forest is uncompromised on our commitment to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics."

Currie: "Clemson Files Lawsuit; Wake Forest Remains Committed to Core Values

As a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, Wake Forest has a 71-year history of committed stewardship of our league, unmatched academic integrity, and athletic achievements including 10 NCAA team championships, 56 ACC team championships and a recent streak of seven-straight bowl appearances from 2016-22.

While today’s news of Clemson’s lawsuit against the league is disappointing, we remain proudly focused on enhancing Wake Forest’s position amongst the highest level of intercollegiate athletics competition in the country.

We are grateful for Wake Forest President Susan R. Wente and her leadership as ACC Board of Directors Vice-Chair alongside University of Virginia President and Chair James E. Ryan and Commissioner Jim Phillips and proud of our longstanding partnership with ESPN and the ACC Network.

With our 2.7 million fans representing the fastest growing fanbase in the Power 4, elite athletics facilities, the largest corporate partnerships in our history and our dynamic home market of 1.3 million residents in the heart of North Carolina, Wake Forest is uncompromised on our commitment to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics."
Saw this email too and was hoping for something a bit more substantial.

I'd kind of love for football to be sectioned off as its own thing and let all other sports continue in the traditional conference setup. Then you actually could have relegation, as the only teams affected (by the change in conferences) would be the football teams, instead of uprooting all the Olympic sports as well.
This is the correct response but doubt the powers that be will see it as the solution.

Back