• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Sad thing is that this is going to be an ACC death by paper cuts.

I read that the Stanford, Cal and SMU joining isn't truly finalized and they have until July 1 to get out without a penalty. Anyone know if that is true? I wouldn't think so, but that is what FSU fans are claiming.

I read that the Stanford, Cal and SMU joining isn't truly finalized and they have until July 1 to get out without a penalty. Anyone know if that is true? I wouldn't think so, but that is what FSU fans are claiming.
If I recall correctly, July 1 is the actual date all of the about-to-be-former Pac 12 teams officially join their new conferences and the Pac 12 becomes the Pac 2.

SMU officially becomes a member July 1; Stanford and Cal officially become members August 2. I’d be shocked if they could still back out without some kind of significant penalty.

More importantly - Why would SMU, Stanford, or Cal want to back out? Did their invitation to the B10 get lost in the mail?

Some of the "theories" floated out there regarding expansion are laughable

They're not backing out at this late of a date - they'd have to cancel their upcoming football season as there's no way you can fill out a full schedule on such short notice.

They're not backing out at this late of a date - they'd have to cancel their upcoming football season as there's no way you can fill out a full schedule on such short notice.
Why would they have to cancel their season? They could honor the schedule and renegotiate who gets paid what. They'd lose $$$ but canceling the season seems drastic.

Why would they have to cancel their season? They could honor the schedule and renegotiate who gets paid what. They'd lose $$$ but canceling the season seems drastic.
You honestly think the ACC would let them keep all of those games against other conference teams if they decided to back out of their realignment plans right now?

I doubt the ACC would honor those games if SMU, Stanford, and Cal decide not to join the conference, even if the money was renegotiated - it would create chaos for the conference standings as you'd have some schools playing 8 conference games and some schools playing as few as 5. Could you imagine the uproar if a school that went 5-0 in the conference made the championship game and bumped out a team that went 7-1?

Because the ACC has the leverage and they'd be lucky to find 6 other teams in the country with open dates they could pay to play against them.

Because the ACC has the leverage and they'd be lucky to find 6 other teams in the country with open dates they could pay to play against them.
But the ACC would also be lucky to fill those open dates. I think they'd come to some agreement.

But the ACC would also be lucky to fill those open dates. I think they'd come to some agreement.
Are you serious with this ? There are 15 teams in the ACC playing football. I'm sure the league could work out 2 replacement games per team.

The ACC would have no problem filling those games with the other ACC teams that also would supposed to play Stanford or Cal. Giving this "theory" legs is stupid.

Back