• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

The Pac 16 successfully killing off the Big XII would be great news for the ACC. Its that much less likely the SEC gets one of ours when Missouri is homeless out there.

Hey I've got a great idea! Get Clemson, GT. and FSU to start pressuring their state legislators not to vote any ACC schools to the SEC. Maryland, State, and VT might jump so threaten pressuring their states to put them in the SEC instead if it targets ACC schools. Plus UVA and UNC could also pressure. Conference strength is cyclical. Stability is the key. Even if we lose 3 schools the conference can hold together with Big East and Big XII schools like Missouri and Kansas actually expanding the conference footprint (strategically we should get into Texas with TCU and maybe Houston for the TV and recruits in two of top 3 states). Plus I really think if we let ND play 7ish ACC games a season (and with 14+ they'd play their entire division and only division games will decide division champ) they'd join. Then we go to NBC and make bank with a new TV deal because there is suddenly a major shortage is college football programming especially if the best break away. Plus, if we get the Irish, NBC will feel pressure to pay the ACC the most per school of the new contracts.

Plus whatever the Pac offers we should try to show we can meet that deal with our new contract and offer the same schools. I'll be dissapointed if Swofford isn't getting Texas and OUs ADs on the phone ASAP, and he really should already be talking to aTm.

Last edited:
Think Pitt could be a possibility there too - fit in geographically, strong academics, etc. Don't add much for a media market though since Pittsburgh is covered already by Penn State. Though Kansas (assuming Mizzou gets added) only brings Wichita (woopie!) and Iowa State brings nothing new too...

Agreed that the Big Ten's first call is to South Bend though...

Kansas brings Kansas City, MO.

You know who could be really screwed in all of this. Us and Dook - us especially.

What if the SEC goes for UNC, VT, FSU and Clemson. The possibilities are literally endless for the "end game"

Agreed that we could get screwed big time in this...the similarities between us and Baylor are rather striking here.

Duke might add jack shit for football, but some major conference will swoop them up for the hoops value.

My conference predictions...

You've asked for it.
You've patiently waited.

OK, maybe not... but here it is.

• Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac 12 to make the Pac 16.
  • Big Ten adds Missouri, Kansas, Pittsburgh and Maryland to form the Big 16.
  • The SEC picks up Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech.
  • The Mountain West Conference picks up Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Houston, SMU, Rice and San Jose to form their own 16 team conference that looks like this...
Boise State
Nevada
Hawaii
Baylor
Rice
SMU
Houston
Air Force
Colorado State
San Diego State
Wyoming
New Mexico
UNLV
Iowa State
Kansas State
San Jose

• The ACC merges with the Big East and looks like this...
Miami
Wake Forest
NC State
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
TCU
Cincinnati
UCONN
Louisville
Rutgers
USF
Syracuse
West Virginia

There you go. No one left out in the cold.

That's why the ACC needs to be pro-active in taking a different course.....acceptable, but not top-notch football....but the best basketball anywhere. Try to get Villanova, UConn, Syracuse, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Kansas & Kansas State to go with Virginia & the Big Four. (Or some close variation of that.) That would make the best 12-team basketball conference in history....that could demand an awesome TV contract for basketball. (And football would still be competetive within the conference & enjoyable to watch.)

Kentucky does NOT want to leave the SEC. All the $$$$ is in football. And that is why Kansas will seek to go to the Big Ten or the SEC.

The ACC is screwed. And I would not be at all surprised if some of our teams were taken from us.

That's why the ACC needs to be pro-active in taking a different course.....acceptable, but not top-notch football....but the best basketball anywhere. Try to get Villanova, UConn, Syracuse, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Kansas & Kansas State to go with Virginia & the Big Four. (Or some close variation of that.) That would make the best 12-team basketball conference in history....that could demand an awesome TV contract for basketball. (And football would still be competetive within the conference & enjoyable to watch.)

That's why I'd be fine with the ACC paying some cash to Villanova to at least aide in their transition to D1A football.

Though the cash outlay that the networks seem to be spending are on the gridiron and not hoops.

In that scenario though, ACC would be acceptable football wise (not competing for any national championships, but at least able to have 4-5 teams that can compete with any team on the field anywhere) and dominant hoops-wise.

Kentucky and Vandy would be idiots to leave the cash cow that is the SEC though.

My conference predictions...

You've asked for it.
You've patiently waited.

OK, maybe not... but here it is.

• Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac 12 to make the Pac 16.
  • Big Ten adds Missouri, Kansas, Pittsburgh and Maryland to form the Big 16.
  • The SEC picks up Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech.
  • The Mountain West Conference picks up Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Houston, SMU, Rice and San Jose to form their own 16 team conference that looks like this...
Boise State
Nevada
Hawaii
Baylor
Rice
SMU
Houston
Air Force
Colorado State
San Diego State
Wyoming
New Mexico
UNLV
Iowa State
Kansas State
San Jose

• The ACC merges with the Big East and looks like this...
Miami
Wake Forest
NC State
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
TCU
Cincinnati
UCONN
Louisville
Rutgers
USF
Syracuse
West Virginia

There you go. No one left out in the cold.

Switch VaTech and GaTech and I'd agree. GaTech adds nothing to the SEC except being conveniently located in Atlanta. VaTech at least expands the SEC territory to Virginia/DC area.

Those Big XII teams going to the MWC would still be left out in the cold if they don't get their BCS invite. Could very well be that the BCS magically decides to have four auto-invites.

The ACC could use Kansas & K-State in a plan to move toward a super conference for basketball. Nobody can use Iowa State, though.

Only way Iowa State makes it through alive is if the Iowa legislature gets involved. That school is abysmal in terms of hoops, football and television sets they'd deliver to any league.

The ACC is screwed. And I would not be at all surprised if some of our teams were taken from us.

I think the ACC loses Maryland, Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech.

But look at my new ACC in the post above. It's not too bad. And basketball would be insane.

Switch VaTech and GaTech and I'd agree. GaTech adds nothing to the SEC except being conveniently located in Atlanta. VaTech at least expands the SEC territory to Virginia/DC area.

I actually posted it with Va Tech, but edited the post because I can't see Virginia Tech leaving Virginia after all that bullshit in 2004.

Those Big XII teams going to the MWC would still be left out in the cold if they don't get their BCS invite. Could very well be that the BCS magically decides to have four auto-invites.
I think they will give MWC the 5th and final BCS bid if all that happened.

Last edited:
VT - fought like hell to get in the ACC. All of a sudden they will bolt? Not like they dominate the DC market either. Campus is 4 1/2 hours away from the capital.
GT - seriously? Private school. SEC owns Atlanta.
GT, FSU, Clemson - Why would Georgia, Florida and South Carolina want them in? All in markets that the SEC already dominates.

Uh, sure. But why leave the school that is a merely 35 minutes from downtown out of the mix. Why own less than half of the KC market when you can own ALL of it.

Fair enough point. Not sure if they'd settle for having TV coverage in the market or dominance in it.

Either way, just from a rivalry standpoint, I'd like to see Missouri and Kansas stay together at least.

Though Kansas State is going to bitch and moan if they get separated from the Jayhawks.

I actually posted it with Va Tech, but edited the post because I can't see Virginia Tech leaving Virginia after all that bullshit in 2004.

That'd be the only reason why they wouldn't leave in my mind. Lots of political capital was spent getting them into the ACC.

GT isn't going back to the SEC. Schools don't get invited back to the top by people they turned their back on. Plus the rivalry is pure hate as we know, so UGA would never let it happen.

VT - fought like hell to get in the ACC. All of a sudden they will bolt? Not like they dominate the DC market either. Campus is 4 1/2 hours away from the capital.
GT - seriously? Private school. SEC owns Atlanta.
GT, FSU, Clemson - Why would Georgia, Florida and South Carolina want them in? All in markets that the SEC already dominates.

I think too many people think conferences just want a beachhead in a market. FSU has a huge following. Of course the SEC would want them. Ditto for Clemson. Ditto for VT. You think they'd prefer Mizzou to FSU??? That's nuts. FSU is a marquee program.

The ACC merges with the Big East and looks like this...

Miami
Wake Forest
NC State
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
TCU
Cincinnati
UCONN
Louisville