• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Notre Dame will join the ACC. The only question is whether they come in this summer or next summer.

Hey baby, we're still engaged but I need to screw some randos for a year first.

Notre Dame was never supposed to join the ACC this summer. They're trying to work out a deal with the ACC to do so. But they may stay in the Big East (the C7 gets the name) for another year as previously agreed upon.

These are the problems with Notre Dame coming to the ACC early. If they stay for another year in the Big East (C7), they get out for free with no exit fee. It's too late to implement the 5 football games Notre Dame is required to play in the ACC for next season. So do they tack those games on later or just forget about them? The ACC wants six games a year with ND so this is a big part of the negotiation.

The Catholic league is not a new idea Notre Dame investigated the possibility last year and still preferred to join the ACC for a number of reasons mostly to do with bowls, scheduling football games in October and November, access to Southeast recruiting grounds and the strength of the ACC's basketball, baseball, soccer, and lacrosse.

The reason why ND needed to join the ACC was because they were having a very difficult time scheduling football games in October and November. With the Big Ten going to 9 or 10 conference games, it is going to get even more difficult to schedule so the arrangement becomes even more important to them.

Do you guys not read the article. It is for one year if they join if they cannot join the ACC.

The ACC will be ready for them. I really think the issue is if ND can go to the NEW Big East and then not owe the OLD Big East an exit fee. Why else would they consider this?

The ACC will be ready for them. I really think the issue is if ND can go to the NEW Big East and then not owe the OLD Big East an exit fee. Why else would they consider this?

What's the BE exit fee? $5-$10 million? I think if push came to shove ND could easily afford that. Especially to get out of a league that is completely falling apart.

Notre Dame can afford it but why throw millions of dollars away if you don't have to? This isn't Maryland we're talking about.

They can afford to pay it, but who pays multi millions of dollars that they don't have to?

Since the C7 are leaving without paying, ND is probably examining that if they left with the C7 they could skip out without paying as well. I believe I remember hearing that ND had to pay no exit fee to the Big East if they left after 27 months. Another special clause for the Irish. I just hope were not having this same conversation a out the Irish leaving the ACC someday and the special clauses that were in their membership here

If that happens it would be a very strong statement in terms of the ACC staying together.

Would love to hear Maryland fans' spin if it came to pass

If that happens it would be a very strong statement in terms of the ACC staying together.

Maryland will probably build an ACC-hating triangle with WVU and Iowa (since they're so like UMD).

Why take both? USF is obviously the better prize.

From a prestige standpoint, USF is a very distant 4th fiddle in FL (behind UF, FSU, and UM), and UCF would probably be 5th. Both USF and UCF are huge schools however, and I could see there being a synergy in bringing in both USF and UCF. Either school by itself would pretty much be an island and generate limited buzz for the Big 12. Bring them both in and you create a rivalry between the two of them, plus you get a lot of people in the state that are suddenly attached to the Big 12.

That article is pretty funny in assuming FSU is going to get passed by both UCF and USF if they join the Big 12. It seeks to establish that the ACC and FSU are desperate but the Big 12 adding those two schools is awesome, even though they couldn't get any of the big FL schools.

Nice. FIU and FAU to the Big East.

I'm guessing it would sound something like "doesn't matter, got paid".

Back