• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

That article is pretty funny in assuming FSU is going to get passed by both UCF and USF if they join the Big 12. It seeks to establish that the ACC and FSU are desperate but the Big 12 adding those two schools is awesome, even though they couldn't get any of the big FL schools.

He's one of the 3 WVU bloggers that try to start rumors about the ACC every day.

From a prestige standpoint, USF is a very distant 4th fiddle in FL (behind UF, FSU, and UM), and UCF would probably be 5th. Both USF and UCF are huge schools however, and I could see there being a synergy in bringing in both USF and UCF. Either school by itself would pretty much be an island and generate limited buzz for the Big 12. Bring them both in and you create a rivalry between the two of them, plus you get a lot of people in the state that are suddenly attached to the Big 12.

Maybe we can convince them to take Miami? We can pitch the prestige standpoint, and their current basketball success.

FOX would have to be really desperate to match the amount they're paying each member of Big XII for USF and UCF - they may both be huge schools, but everyone I've ever met from those schools claims UF, FSU, or Miami as they're #1 college sports team.

FOX would have to be really desperate to match the amount they're paying each member of Big XII for USF and UCF - they may both be huge schools, but everyone I've ever met from those schools claims UF, FSU, or Miami as they're #1 college sports team.

I'll break that trend for you. Also, no one likes Miami

They can afford to pay it, but who pays multi millions of dollars that they don't have to?

Since the C7 are leaving without paying, ND is probably examining that if they left with the C7 they could skip out without paying as well. I believe I remember hearing that ND had to pay no exit fee to the Big East if they left after 27 months. Another special clause for the Irish. I just hope were not having this same conversation a out the Irish leaving the ACC someday and the special clauses that were in their membership here

C7 are paying a little bit to keep the Big East name and MSG.. something around $10 million. But what they are losing is the horde of cash the Big East has amassed from buyouts and NCAA shares... its approaching $100 million. Within the next year USF, Cinci and UCONN are getting a one-time check for between $18-25 million, which thankfully eases the pain of the joke of a TV contract they are signing.

Did not know you went to USF. Always assumed the Bull was from being a huge Durham Bulls fan, but I guess that's actually just a correlation of being a Rays fan from Tampa.

Yup, it was a fun time to be at USF. As for the USF/UCF to Big12 rumors, I can't imagine anything would happen until Maryland is figured out.. If I'm the ACC I'm concerned with all the Louisville > Maryland talk, it just makes damages harder to prove and makes $50 mil look punitive as shit.

Another big question is whether at this moment ND is subject to an exit fee. I know TCU had to pay the Big East but it wasn't the full amount. If they don't have to pay or if the amount is nominal I see them going C7. I hear the football scheduling argument but I think teams like Purdue, MSU, Michigan and Stanford make damn sure they can continue to fit ND on their schedule

Notre Dame isn't going to the C7. They are already on the hook for the exit fee. That was specifically addressed at the press conference when they joined.

TCU also paid the full exit fee from the Big East which was $5 million dollars at the time. It has since been raised to $10 million, when Navy agreed to join. West Virginia, Syracuse and Pitt all paid extra to leave early. West Virginia paid the most 20 million (4 times the exit fee) to get out immediately.

Maryland will have to pay a significant sum for an exit fee from the ACC. It will be at least 20 million dollars but most likely much more. If you think that's punative, look at the tv contract that UConn, Cinnci, et al just recieved and try to argue that teams leaving can't destroy the value of a league.

C7 are paying a little bit to keep the Big East name and MSG.. something around $10 million. But what they are losing is the horde of cash the Big East has amassed from buyouts and NCAA shares... its approaching $100 million. Within the next year USF, Cinci and UCONN are getting a one-time check for between $18-25 million, which thankfully eases the pain of the joke of a TV contract they are signing.

How much does it suck for Cinci that they're out of the Big East but Xavier is in the Big East as of next year?

Old Yancy Gates would go nuts!

Notre Dame isn't going to the C7. They are already on the hook for the exit fee. That was specifically addressed at the press conference when they joined.

apparently ND does not have to pay an exit fee for leaving the Big East:
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9021861/2013-nfl-free-agency-wes-welker-new-england-patriots-intends-test-market-source-says

Unlike other league members, Notre Dame has a unique situation with the Big East that if it provides 27 months notice, the school does not have to pay an exit fee.

I was talking about Notre Dame being on the hook for the ACC exit fee not the Big East in that quote.

Why would Notre Dame ever go to the C7 anyway? The whole point of ND coming to the ACC was to round out their football schedule since it was increasingly becoming a problem for them to schedule enough FBS teams every year. Them joining the C7 would wreck that, unless the theory is they'd join the ACC for football and C7 for everything else. And that's pretty unruly.

How much does it suck for Cinci that they're out of the Big East but Xavier is in the Big East as of next year?

Old Yancy Gates would go nuts!

Yancy says fuck that

FREASEPUNCH.gif

Rumors are the Big East football conference is naming themselves the America 12, even though they won't have 12 teams. At least the Big 10/12 started out with that many teams.

@McMurphyESPN
Name not official but Big East's law firm registered "http://AmericaOne.org " domain name Tuesday

America One Conference!

That is so lame. They should go with the Waiting Room Conference.

Back