• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Confounding..... Perplexing.... Any Other Synonym You Want to Use

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
How do we look decent to good for 2 months against a lot of solid teams, and some on road which I thought was very wise on DM's part, and then the bottom falls out???? The only thing I can think of as a common denominator is CMM's return. And CMM is the last person I would ever bash, but the catch up from the injury, and the fact anyone would admit he is not a true PG, I suspect has gotten us out of rhythm, to say the least. If DM has made a mistake, it is not clearly defining the roles, including naming Crawford the PG and handing him the keys. BC is helluva PG and we were 9-3 with him running the show. Even with his freshman mistakes. Hell, CP made plenty of them as a frosh and played mediocrely enough that Skip (or anyone else) didn't see the need to make sure he got a PG in case CP left earlier than anticipated.

You have to have a true PG to run the show, and CMM isn't that. CMM should have been named and defined as the starting 2G (not SG, bc he isn't), but there are plenty of great 2 guards who can score other ways than standstill shooting. And this year with the new rules, and slashing 2G is at a premium. Added to that is history is littered guys who came back from injury mid-season in CBB and it didn't work. Viduaretta's comeback started the derailment of that 14-0 start as Shoe was killing it. Ish's comeback started the derailment of that season as Teague and co were 14-0 or something like that at the time. Justin Anderson at Va last year derailed that season. Va looked like they could take it all until he came back, and they floundered. But how do you keep those guys out if they are available??? Ish is possibly my favorite Deac of all time (if he isn't, he is probably tied with 15 other guys like Teach, DRudd, Chill, TD, and the list goes on.

I just think we have to play CMM, but history says you lose your rhythm, mojo or whatever when that happens midseason. And BC is our PG, and we ought to let him have the keys. People bitch about the behind the back pass to JC that hit him in the face and went OB. Really??! I bet JC would be the first to tell you if it hits me in the face, that's ALL on me. I should have been ready.

That's my rant for the day.

There are many things wrong with this team and I'm a Manning fan, but I 100% agree on the lack of defined rolls since CMM's return has killed chemistry. Manning was certainly playing some goofy lineups before CMM's return, but VanHorn and McClinton knew not to shoot the ball or hold it too long. Not the case with CMM. Ultimately, we lack talent. Our starting 2 guard has is averaging 5 pts a game in ACC play and has only been a factor in 1 game. Our 6th man is shooting around 20% from the floor.

All 4 of our guards shoot in the mid 30% range.

That just doesn't get it done.

The hard pill to swallow is that we were pretty good with CMM on the bench and BC running the show. But DM had the same problem Bennett had at Va last year when JA went down. And surprisingly Uva got better when it happened, because others picked it up. And then they sucked when JA came back. Nothing against JA, who is in the league now, and an insane talent, but reintegrating a player at a high level of bball is a monumental task. If you leave those types of guys on the bench and you lose, how do you explain that? Codi is a helluva a player, but this just isn't working.

Hand it all over to BC. And live with the frosh mistakes. He's REALLY good and gets everyone in the flow. Im also fine with CMM as the 2G starter. He can do that. He doesn't have the vision of a major college PG. I love Justin Gray, but we all learned a good 2G can't necessarily run the point. We need a PG.

It's not just CMM. Hudson is beyond awful and Wilbekin is liek the ship slowly sinking beneath the waves. They are good for turnovers, poor decusions and missed shots. Hudson is abysmal. He has had one really good game this entire year and that was his first one back from suspension. I mean, we were throwing the ball away on easy passses aroudn teh perimeter today, nto to mention the trhee or four easy layups we managed to botch eith on teh pass, the catch or the shot missed. We are truly horrid at this poitn in teh eason. It's either tank or suck it up. I particularly remeber the one Hudson manage to thrwo out of bounds when tryign to ge tthe ball to a wide open Crawford goign AWAY from our basket at half court. Only WF could manage such an inept pass.

Back