• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Congress Members choosing to donate or not accept paychecks during shutdown

DeaconSlim2.0

-------------------------
Reaction score
Kudos to those on this list...at least all but the 8-10 that responded they were going to keep their paycheck.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...id-but-whos-keeping-their-paycheck/?hpt=hp_t1

Senate (donate):
Barbara Boxer, D-California
Dianne Feinstein, D-California
Mark Udall, D-Colorado
Michael Bennet, D-Colorado
Chris Coons, D-Maryland
Tom Carper, D-Delaware
Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii
Mike Crapo, R-Idaho
Joe Donnelly, D-Indiana
Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana
Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigan
Tom Udall, D-New Mexico
Heidi Heitkamp, D-North Dakota
John Hoeven, R-North Dakota
Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio
Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina
Bob Corker, R-Tennessee
Orrin Hatch, R-Utah
Mike Lee, R-Utah
Michael Enzi, R-Wyoming

Senate (not accepting):
Chuck Schumer, D-New York
Jack Reed, D-Rhode Island
Tim Kaine, D-Virginia
Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin

Senate (undecided):
Jeff Flake, R-Arizona
Roger Wicker, R-Mississippi

House (donate):
Ron Barber, R-Arizona
John Garamendi, D-California
David Valadao, R-California
Julia Brownley, D-California
Scott Peters, D-California
Rosa L. DeLauro, D-Connecticut
Jim Himes, D-Connecticut
Elizabeth Esty, D- Connecticut
Phil Gingrey, R-Georgia
Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii
Bill Foster, D-Illinois
John A. Yarmuth, D-Kentucky
Andy Barr, R-Kentucky
Chellie Pingree, D-Maine
John Delaney, D-Maryland
Timothy J. Walz, D-Minnesota
Ann Wagner, R-Maryland
Chris Collins, R-New York
Robert Pittenger, R-North Carolina
Kurt Schrader, D-Oregon
David Cicilline, D-Rhode Island
Diane Black, R-Tennessee
Bill Flores, R-Texas
Joaquin Castro, D-Texas
Robert J. Wittman, R-Virginia
Scott Rigell, R-Virginia
Suzan DelBene, D-Washington
Jaime Herrera Beutler, R-Washington
Derek Kilmer, D- Washington
Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin
Reid Ribble, R-Wisconsin

House (keeping):
Danny K. Davis, D-Illinois
Todd Rokita, R-Indiana
William "Lacy" Clay Jr., D-Missouri
Howard Coble, R-North Carolina

House (not accepting):
Mike Rogers, R-Alabama
Eric Swalwell, D-California
Jim Costa, D-California
Steve Southerland, R-Florida
Ron DeSantis, R-Florida
Jack Kingston, R-Georgia
Austin Scott, R-Georgia
David Scott, D- Georgia
Tom Graves, R-Georgia
Brad Schneider, D-Illinois
Cheri Bustos, D-Illinois
Gregg Harper, R-Mississippi
Steve Daines, R-Montana
Tom Reed, R-New York
Virginia Foxx, R-North Carolina
Jim Bridenstine, R-Oklahoma
Mike Kelly, R-Pennsylvania
Ralph M. Hall, R-Texas
Lamar Smith, R-Texas
Blake Farenthold, R-Texas
Bob Goodlatte, R-Virginia
Eric Cantor, R-Virginia
Doc Hastings, R-Washington

House (undecided):
John Campbell, R-California

Howard Coble has basically taken one principled stand in his long career of doing whatever House leadership tells him to do, and that is long ago he decided he wasn't going to accept his Congressional pension. Well now he's closing in on 90, frequently ill, and has no other way to support himself except hanging on to his seat. Not surprised at all that he's keeping his paycheck. Kind of feel sorry for the guy but I guess he made his own bed.

I would prefer they keep the paycheck and find a way to actually earn it this week.

Any senator or house rep that decides to keep their check is an idiot and deserves to be voted out. Just shows an incredible lack of awareness.

Any senator or house rep that decides to keep their check is an idiot and deserves to be voted out. Just shows an incredible lack of awareness.

So... ditch 75% of Congress?

How about just 100% of the Tea Party?

I don't think it really matters, but it's a gesture which should clearly be done. Anybody who doesn't give the money back or to charity is just obtuse and generally unaware of anything. Hell even Foxx isn't taking the money and she may be the biggest moron in Congress.

It's a purely PR gesture. It means nothing, unless they donate that money directly to all my friends and family that are going unpaid because of this circus.

Again, keep your money and fucking govern.

Washington isn't famous for optics. Case in point: Obama is exempt from Obamacare.

Washington isn't famous for optics. Case in point: Obama is exempt from Obamacare.

Obama not needing or using universal health care does nothing to dilute his purpose in trying to make sure the needy have affordable health care. He also doesn't shop for groceries with foodstamps.

loooooooooooool

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/house-goper-i-need-my-paycheck

Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC) told a local television station that she would not be deferring her pay during the government shutdown, as some other members have done.

"I need my paycheck. That's the bottom line," Ellmers told WTVD in Raleigh, N.C. "I understand that there may be some other members who are deferring their paychecks, and I think that's admirable. I'm not in that position."

According to Ellmers's official website, she was a registered nurse for 21 years before being elected to Congress. Her husband Brent, the website says, is a general surgeon.

Obama not needing or using universal health care does nothing to dilute his purpose in trying to make sure the needy have affordable health care. He also doesn't shop for groceries with foodstamps.

"optics"

/ˈäptiks/

noun:

1. the scientific study of sight and the behavior of light, or the properties of transmission and deflection of other forms of radiation.

2. (typically in a political context) the way in which an event or course of action is perceived by the public.

Hey jhmd - can you provide some evidence that Obama and Congress are exempt from Obamacare?

Back