• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump is crazy, but he certainly isn't uninformed. He simply takes information and molds it to his benefit.

Given what I've seen and read from Dear Leader, I certainly think he could be viewed as grossly uninformed in many areas. For example, according to reports he doesn't listen or pay attention at his regular National Security briefings, to the point that they've had to dumb down, condense, and offer short little summaries with visual aids to get him to pay even slight attention. He may take some info and "mold it to his benefit", but he also just says shit out of pure ignorance of what he's talking about. Because he's not well-informed, by choice.

I think people have also been conditioned to believe a serious pandemic must be one like portrayed in movies, dead piling up, breakdown of society, zombie apocalypse shit. I also think that people’s care free it’s not that bad attitude is one that actually comes about as a coping mechanism. There’s jack shit you can do, the problems are complex, it’s hard to understand, so you need to rationalize all will be well.

This is a good post.

Given what I've seen and read from Dear Leader, I certainly think he could be viewed as grossly uninformed in many areas. For example, according to reports he doesn't listen or pay attention at his regular National Security briefings, to the point that they've had to dumb down, condense, and offer short little summaries with visual aids to get him to pay even slight attention. He may take some info and "mold it to his benefit", but he also just says shit out of pure ignorance of what he's talking about. Because he's not well-informed, by choice.

Yea this appears to be a situation where a jackass like trump who brags about not reading and boasts about making decisions “with his gut” is maybe not great.

Isn’t a .5% mortality rate like 5x higher than the flu?

HIMSS conference canceled for the first time in 58 years due to Coronavirus. Ironically Trump was scheduled to speak there this weekend.

Yea this appears to be a situation where a jackass like trump who brags about not reading and boasts about making decisions “with his gut” is maybe not great.

Isn’t a .5% mortality rate like 5x higher than the flu?

Trump's comments regarding the lower estimated mortality rate probably came from this article, authored by Fauci and two others who konw what they are doing, and referenced earlier in this thread. I would imagine Fauci and company have discussed it with Trump and Pence.

On the basis of a case definition requiring a diagnosis of pneumonia, the currently reported case fatality rate is approximately 2%.4 In another article in the Journal, Guan et al.5 report mortality of 1.4% among 1099 patients with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19; these patients had a wide spectrum of disease severity. If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.

Important to note that in addition to the possibility that the mortality rate could eventually be lower, Fauci notes that transmission rate is high, and that's troublesome:

The efficiency of transmission for any respiratory virus has important implications for containment and mitigation strategies. The current study indicates an estimated basic reproduction number (R0) of 2.2, which means that, on average, each infected person spreads the infection to an additional two persons. As the authors note, until this number falls below 1.0, it is likely that the outbreak will continue to spread. Recent reports of high titers of virus in the oropharynx early in the course of disease arouse concern about increased infectivity during the period of minimal symptoms.6,7

and then notes that in the U.S., it will be important to know who has the virus so that we can isolate the cases to stop the spread:

However, given the efficiency of transmission as indicated in the current report, we should be prepared for Covid-19 to gain a foothold throughout the world, including in the United States. Community spread in the United States could require a shift from containment to mitigation strategies such as social distancing in order to reduce transmission. Such strategies could include isolating ill persons (including voluntary isolation at home), school closures, and telecommuting where possible.9

so, in that article there is one piece of potential good news (hey, the mortality rate may be lower than what has been reported), one piece of very troubling news (this thing transmits very easily), and one difficult to implement action plan (aggressive monitoring and containment). Trump is communicating one of those three pieces of information

Trump will do anything that will make him look good or benefit himself. That’s it, there’s nothing more to it. If people die because of it so be it.

We need to get Ruth Bader Ginsberg in some sort of hyper sanitized isolation chamber until next January.

I find it pretty surprising that we haven’t had another confirmed case in the Triangle yet. This person was just out and about eating dinner and living life normally for an unknown amount of time. There absolutely have to be other cases out there.

I find it pretty surprising that we haven’t had another confirmed case in the Triangle yet. This person was just out and about eating dinner and living life normally for an unknown amount of time. There absolutely have to be other cases out there.

Or perhaps the individual is infected with the 'S' strain and/or they are asymptomatic - both of which markedly reduce contagiousness. Or maybe they work outside in North Carolina where the humidity would suppress virality. While one can quickly become many, it's not always the case.

Possible that there aren’t tests available to confirm in the area?

Yeah lack of cases is almost entirely due to lack of testing, the complexity of testing, and the guidance for testing.

is Trump's response here the example of the genuine straight shooter that sailor was talking about?

Glad we don't have a phony like HRC or Warren in there who would certainly be looking out for their personal best interest instead of a magnanimous leader like the Donald.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back