• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could a reasonable coach get Wake Forest to the NCAA tourney next year?

Could a reasonable coach get Wake Forest to the NCAA tourney in 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It depends how good McClinton and Mitchell end up being next year.

Yes. Shelton coming in with Devin, Codi, Moto, Cav coming back and then McClinton and Green (if he's healthy) coming in. I think we're close to an NCAA bid at that point if Greg and Shelton contribute.

It may take an extra season to get everybody used to playing real team basketball again, but with a reasonable coach I think we're relatively close. Might struggle because the lack of an outside threat though.

ETA: It's amazing how much people shit on the actual players on the team given how much they want to blame [Redacted] for everything

I think Overton has shown some shooting touch. Maybe he will continue to progress..if Devin, Tyler, bill, and CMM stay we could put things together with the incoming freshman and be on the bubble with a new coach..

Last edited:
I think we're two years away. We lose two of our leading scorers, have no returning shooters, and our improvement will rely on two first-year players who have had serious knee problems.

If a good coach comes in and recruits an impact player for his second season, we will have a chance. Thanks Bz.

We have no true 5, no depth inside and no one that can shoot from outside with any consistency. It would take an amazing job for us to dance next year.

We just got our asses kicked by a bubble team 10 seed and we are losing our only shooter and 4 year starter.

I just don't reasonably see it happening.

I think so, yes... Assuming our top 5 or 6 players don't transfer. Shelton/Codi/Moto/Cav/Devin is a fine lineup, and GMac will be a nice addition to that mix. I'm optimistic in our talent, given a new coach. Moto and Cav should benefit immensely.

If Clemson can get reasonably close this year, no reason we can't. Especially with Shelton and GMc added to what we have. Obviously need a shooter more than anything.

The defense should be improved with a new coach, but he will lack the talent to improve dramatically on offense. NIT should be a realistic expectation for this team. NCAAT? Not a chance.

I want Bzz gone immediately but who the hell is going to be our inside presence? Who is going to help us become a good rebounding team? I do not expect whomever takes this over to be able to get us in the tourney next year.

What is a "reasonable" coach? With Gregg Marshall, we might have a shot, but I would not describe him as "reasonable."

Only if he added a 2G and big that could contribute next year.

The defense should be improved with a new coach, but he will lack the talent to improve dramatically on offense. NIT should be a realistic expectation for this team. NCAAT? Not a chance.

Hard to reconcile those last two statements. NIT teams from big conferences are pretty much on or close to the bubble by rule.

Of course with a good coach we'd have a shot at the tourney next year. I wouldn't call it an expectation though, unless maybe we can land another 5th year transfer who can shoot.

i think moto, cav, cmm and thomas (provided he can pull his head out of his ass) are a decent enough core to be close to the bubble provided we don't have a coach who is a dumbass

Back