• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Dan: Manning’s first job building "strong foundation"

Danny Manning has not even arrived at Wake Forest and held his first press conference, and he has already said more intelligent things than his predecessor did in four years.

Danny Manning has not even arrived at Wake Forest and held his first press conference, and he has already said more intelligent things than his predecessor did in four years.

That's not saying much. But I liked what I read.

Wait! I thought [name redacted] used his four years to build a worthy foundation?

Wellman came across clueless in the article bit I am impressed with what I read from coach Manning. Also impressed with the quotes from the tulsa AD explaining why their prior coach was fired. Refreshing candor and honesty.

Last edited:
What SailorDeac said...agree!

And

"A more charismatic, engaging coach might have weathered the storm. Instead, it became increasingly clear that the rank and file of Wake Forest fans never connected with [name redacted], who often came off as socially awkward, if not distant or aloof."

Last edited:
Billboard got a mention. Good article by dan. Didn't pull any punches but also didn't go out of his way to slam [Redacted].

Let me paraprhase was Dan said about [Redacted].

If [Redacted] didn't suck so much in every meaningful aspect of his job, he might still be Wake's basketball coach.

Great article.

And people can now ignore Wellman. He's hired his last coach of note at WFU, he's irrelevant.

Even though many had their own idea of who the new coach should be, now that Manning is the Man, best for all to support and hope he will be the one to lead Wake out of the valley of darkness!

Dan is doing a great job. That article perfectly described the last four years. The unwritten comparison to Tulsa was interesting also.

Wellman came across clueless in the article bit I am impressed with what I read from coach Manning. Also impressed with the quotes from the tulsa AD explaining why their prior coach was fired. Refreshing candor and honesty.

Thought the same thing. If only the Premier had been that honest.

Great article.

And people can now ignore Wellman. He's hired his last coach of note at WFU, he's irrelevant.

Good point. We will see how that plays out.

So Dan's theme and variation is he's continuing a low level guerrilla campaign against Ron while giving Danny a fair opportunity to prove himself. I approve.

So Dan's theme and variation is he's continuing a low level guerrilla campaign against Ron while giving Danny a fair opportunity to prove himself. I approve.

Haha. Basically. I'm loving the new Destro Dan Collins.

After reading the comments here I was expecting something great but it's pretty much the same comments that are made with every new coaching hire after a coach has been unsuccessful. "We'll build a foundation the 'right' way" kind of stuff which is the norm. He's not refuting anything. I don't see what you guys are so excited about.

The only things I noticed was Manning specifically made comments about relating to the players, and there was some lingo from Wellman about Manning relating to the fans. Those two things were issues under Bz so OK...one would expect them to be mentioned. And the word "culture" was not mentioned which is a normal word in these situations, so Manning must have been told by Wellman to avoid that word because of it being a lightening rod.

I don't get the "Wellman sounded clueless" take either. The right things were said and avoided. If you like Manning, Wellman gets the credit for the hire and valuing the same things.

Wellman's legacy is also trashed. He's lied repeatedly over the last four years, even in the presser firing [name redacted] he maintained that attendance had improved. That's a flat lie, and he knows it. His culture narrative was a fraud. Hiring Phil Jackson wouldn't have changed that. Bye bye, Ron. You're done.

Back