• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Currie-Bloomberg Interview and Comment on Guarantees

Partree

Anthony Teachey
Reaction score
apologies if this was posted or buried inside another thread. Upon getting back from the bowl game, which other than the outcome of the game was a pretty darn good WF experience, I was catching up on items and came across the transcript from this podcast on Sports where Currie was interviewed. Nothing world breaking in terms of news in the write-up, but his acknowledgment on coaches' guaranties and the cost of credibility with the public was interesting. It is down the transcript a bit.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lr7THTpQ_7iS4DDKYNXFC5CiqYVUhXYoN8vdG3Krak0/ed

here's the comment:

"Scott Soshnick: Have things gotten, I would say, I’d say out of control that we can just say how about gone awry in that I mean, even Mark Emmert said last week that we don’t need these gold laden locker rooms. If you look at coaches’ salaries, strength coaches making million dollars a year, I mean, the money has to go somewhere. Has the enterprise itself lost some of its ability to control itself?

John Currie: There’s certainly some examples that one can point to that leave you scratching your head.

Scott Soshnick: Oh, point please, point please. You’ve been around a while point to those examples.

John Currie: Well, the, the degree of guaranteed contracts for coaches got, got out of control a number of years ago and became a market norm. And so, when you have, you know, $25 million, $30 million, $50 million, $75 million institutional liabilities extended, that’s, that’s a pretty significant liability. And I think that is an element of, of where the enterprise have lost credibility with the public.

Scott Soshnick: Yeah.

John Currie: That’s, that’s, it’s hard, hard to defend those things.

Michael Barr: I was, I was wondering I had… first when I came in, I said, “Well, this would be an easy question. As the AD, football is king pretty much at many universities and schools,” and I started thinking, it’s like, wait a minute, you know, Wake Forest, they got a pretty good men’s basketball team too. So I guess, I ask the question, where is it king? Is it king in college basketball or college football?
John Currie: Well, I’d have to say women’s golf or men’s tennis or…"

Michael Barr: I was, I was wondering I had… first when I came in, I said, “Well, this would be an easy question. As the AD, football is king pretty much at many universities and schools,” and I started thinking, it’s like, wait a minute, you know, Wake Forest, they got a pretty good men’s basketball team too. So I guess, I ask the question, where is it king? Is it king in college basketball or college football?
John Currie: Well, I’d have to say women’s golf or men’s tennis or…"

What?

I randomly caught this on the radio. Currie definitely got roasted by the hosts after the interview for sticking so closely to the party line about how players don’t need to get paid because of the value of their scholarships.

Wait, I thought it was soccer and field hockey. Did Currie really go to Wake?

Wait, I thought it was soccer and field hockey. Did Currie really go to Wake?

Men’s tennis recently won two nattys right? We also had the best women’s am in the country last year and came in second (I think?) nationally. He’s not wrong. Field hockey has dropped a bit.

Gotta give credit to Wellman for not offering Daniel a $75M guarantee

Back