• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I don't believe in grade inflation. I think thus far he has done low to mid B work. For me C would put him on the hot seat, D or less would be worth firing, a B is good for a couple more seasons to see where this goes and A work would merit a 6 year extension. Comparisons to Bennett are great in retrospect and things worked out really well for UVA, but at this point in his tenure it was not a certainty that Bennett was going to make UVA a perennial top 20 team, and like wise it is not certain Manning will do it either. I am fine with the accomplishments manning has achieved thus far, but I also don't think it is yet obvious that we are headed back to the top of the ACC.

Is that you Dr. Lewis? This board was all over Bennett during the depths of the [Redacted] era, and rightfully so. That was before he turned UVA into a top 10 team.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an example of what you would consider an "A" level coaching job 3 years into a rebuild of our magnitude.

Is that you Dr. Lewis? This board was all over Bennett during the depths of the [Redacted] era, and rightfully so. That was before he turned UVA into a top 10 team.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an example of what you would consider an "A" level coaching job 3 years into a rebuild of our magnitude.

agreed

We're going to make the tournament, Collins is going to stay for another year, and we're gonna get this Starr kid. The next couple of months of Wake basketball are looking great!

I know there are people here who think you can turn a switch or a spigot and immediately turn a program around. That's not reality. We were virtually rebuilding Dresden after WWII.

The previous coach left Danny in the worst position Wake has been in during almost half a century. Add to that, the previous didn't just burn bridges with coaches, AAU, etc., he carpet bombed them. Further, the ACC was becoming stronger than it ever had been. Yet some here expected an immediate turnaround.

As to not being a good coach, how does an "inferior" coach take a team filled with 125+ ranked players and turn them into a Top 40 offense while playing one of the toughest schedules in the nation?

Before the season a few of us said the team had major holes at 2/3 on D and this would haunt us throughout the season. If you look at the games we lost, where did we lose them? Opponents' 2/3s went off on us. Coaches can do a lot of things, but they can't turn 6'1-6'3 guys into 6'5-6'8 guys.

We have come a very, very long way over the past three years. It looks like we'll be even better next year.

I understand many here expect miracles. Many here think they deserve instant gratification, but that's not how it works.

Last edited:
We're going to make the tournament, Collins is going to stay for another year, and we're gonna get this Starr kid. The next couple of months of Wake basketball are looking great!

If all this happens Manning gets an A.

He can be insured for loss of position in the draft as well. Wake is allowed to pick up the tab if we do things the right way.

Interesting. I always figured that the school helped the player make the arrangements (find the insurer, negotiate the details, etc.) but I didn't know the school could pay for the policy.

I am fine with that.

Look, stop arguing against me. I am with you on Manning s success, thus far. I was really down on Manning, until you showed me the numbers, reminded me of the "coaching vs talent" thread and the "analysis" we collaborated on, and with the updates and where we stand now I think he is on the right track. You actually changed my mind on this issue already. I think he is doing a fine job at this point and I think he deserves another year or two before we draw any "final" conclusions.

Interesting. I always figured that the school helped the player make the arrangements (find the insurer, negotiate the details, etc.) but I didn't know the school could pay for the policy.

I believe this is relatively new. Someone found a loophole a few years ago and everyone can use it now.

I am fine with that.

Look, stop arguing against me. I am with you on Manning s success, thus far. I was really down on Manning, until you showed me the numbers, reminded me of the "coaching vs talent" thread and the "analysis" we collaborated on, and with the updates and where we stand now I think he is on the right track. You actually changed my mind on this issue already. I think he is doing a fine job at this point and I think he deserves another year or two before we draw any "final" conclusions.

Fair enough

Recently new rule under the NCAA player assistance fund bylaws.

I know there are people here who think you can turn a switch or a spigot and immediately turn a program around. That's not reality. We were virtually rebuilding Dresden after WWII.

The previous coach left Danny in the worst position Wake has been in during almost half a century. Add to that, the previous didn't just burn bridges with coaches, AAU, etc., he carpet bombed them. Further, the ACC was becoming stronger than it ever had been. Yet some here expected an immediate turnaround.

As to not being a good coach, how does an "inferior" coach take a team filled with 125+ ranked players and turn them into a Top 40 offense while playing one of the toughest in the nation?

Before the season a few of us said the team had major holes at 2/3 on D and this would haunt us throughout the season. If you look at the games we lost, where did we lose them? Opponents' 2/3s went off on us. Coaches can do a lot of things, but they can't turn 6'1-6'3 guys into 6'5-6'8 guys.

We have come a very, very long way over the past three years. It looks like we'll be even better next year.

I understand many here expect miracles. Many here think they deserve instant gratification, but that's not how it works.

Totally agree.

I have stayed away from the boards for a while and just decided to enjoy wake basketball as a casual fan. To be honest, it has been a great decision, even with the Clemson result. I think we are making progress and Collins is a stud. I hope that we can keep him because the offense just runs when he is on the floor. DM is still learning on the job but I think this year we will get to 20 wins and go to the NIT.

I know this stuff is pretty overrated, but the complete lack of emotion from DM is definitely starting to wear on some Wake fans. Hell, last night, Woods took it on himself to try to get the team fired up, and it kind of worked.

In a game where the team obviously comes out flat and the officials are frankly awful, how do you not get fired up as a coach? Impossible to quantify the effect it would have, but maybe we get 2-3 more calls and close out on 2-3 Clemson 3s. That's the game right there.

I know this stuff is pretty overrated, but the complete lack of emotion from DM is definitely starting to wear on some Wake fans. Hell, last night, Woods took it on himself to try to get the team fired up, and it kind of worked.

In a game where the team obviously comes out flat and the officials are frankly awful, how do you not get fired up as a coach? Impossible to quantify the effect it would have, but maybe we get 2-3 more calls and close out on 2-3 Clemson 3s. That's the game right there.

Manning started yelling at Valentine and he immediately called a phantom foul on us. I don't think his interaction with the refs was the problem.

Ha ha we lost last night because Manning showed no emotion. This board is laughable sometimes.

Clearly you missed the words "impossible to quantify" and "maybe" in my statement. Reading comprehension is challenging, I know.

Would you not prefer more emotion? Do you think it impossible that a coach's emotion can have a positive effect on his team and the referees? I've seen it happen dozens, if not hundreds of times, in different sports. Hell, it's even been obvious with DC and our football team a time or two.

Back