• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

The day manning is gone, is the day sarr brown mucious and hoard all leave this program. just sayin

Maybe the worst back to back basketball coaching hires in the history of the ACC. And the beat goes on.

Maybe the worst back to back basketball coaching hires in the history of the ACC. And the beat goes on.

No doubt about it, at least for a team in a major conference with a history of success.

Personally, I think firing Wellman is way to little. He should be banned from campus and the utterance of his name should be forbidden. His name should be unwritten.

If you have the stomach to listen to DM postgame with Stan loss...after...loss...after...loss
pretty much all he ever mumbles is that "we're not getting enough paint touches."

WELL THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT DAMMIT! :mad:

Seems like deja vu all over again.

Making it all the more necessary that if the school is to make a change, it happen this offseason and not after. If Manning isn’t the guy, move decisively and align the next coach’s honeymoon period with a 2018-19 roster that ostensibly *should* be better than this year’s, allowing him to take the credit on the recruiting trail.

The worst outcome is Wake sticks with a guy we all know isn’t the answer for a year too long, letting him enjoy a dead cat bounce of an NIT-ish 2018-19 season that likely buys him at least another year thereafter.

Making it all the more necessary that if the school is to make a change, it happen this offseason and not after. If Manning isn’t the guy, move decisively and align the next coach’s honeymoon period with a 2018-19 roster that ostensibly *should* be better than this year’s, allowing him to take the credit on the recruiting trail.

The worst outcome is Wake sticks with a guy we all know isn’t the answer for a year too long, letting him enjoy a dead cat bounce of an NIT-ish 2018-19 season that likely buys him at least another year thereafter.

Yep

Been down that road with year 4 of BZ. That year was more damaging than the other 3. It showed that Wake was not committed to winning.

The Wake bandwagon is about barren except for a few and I am hanging on by my fingers... I am trying to remind myself that this is what all losing teams do. They make too many mental & physical mistakes, they bitch w/each other, and they can't put 40 minutes together to be successful. Look at Minnesota and Baylor. 2 Top 20 teams in the preseason, but are also failing to meet much higher expectations.

Also, this is/was a very tough stretch of the season (although it really is for every ACC team), and the injuries to Key and Wilby are not helping. Add to that Craw's fragile mental state and we are where we are. I am extremely disappointed in the way we have been coached for the last few years, but do feel that the staff has done a very good job of recruiting and am holding off on jumping ship til next year. It's not a myth that Danny hasn't done a good job at recruiting and we have just missed on some extremely talented players that were close to being Deacs.

My faith can be restored if I see some progress these last few weeks not just in wins, but in the way we play. Last night, was abysmal in all aspects save Moore and a few glimpses of everyone else. But, damn the hustle and desire was not there and that is on Danny and the staff. Obviously, the players are also responsible for fighting to the very end and that's what I want to see. They need to have the Patriots (who I hate as an Eagle's fan) attitude of, "Do your Job!" and have the whole team watch the NFL Film's story on the 2014 Patriots. I want to see them circle the wagons, get back to their strengths, and just compete for the rest of the year!

The Wake bandwagon is about barren except for a few and I am hanging on by my fingers... I am trying to remind myself that this is what all losing teams do. They make too many mental & physical mistakes, they bitch w/each other, and they can't put 40 minutes together to be successful. Look at Minnesota and Baylor. 2 Top 20 teams in the preseason, but are also failing to meet much higher expectations.

Also, this is/was a very tough stretch of the season (although it really is for every ACC team), and the injuries to Key and Wilby are not helping. Add to that Craw's fragile mental state and we are where we are. I am extremely disappointed in the way we have been coached for the last few years, but do feel that the staff has done a very good job of recruiting and am holding off on jumping ship til next year. It's not a myth that Danny hasn't done a good job at recruiting and we have just missed on some extremely talented players that were close to being Deacs.

My faith can be restored if I see some progress these last few weeks not just in wins, but in the way we play. Last night, was abysmal in all aspects save Moore and a few glimpses of everyone else. But, damn the hustle and desire was not there and that is on Danny and the staff. Obviously, the players are also responsible for fighting to the very end and that's what I want to see. They need to have the Patriots (who I hate as an Eagle's fan) attitude of, "Do your Job!" and have the whole team watch the NFL Film's story on the 2014 Patriots. I want to see them circle the wagons, get back to their strengths, and just compete for the rest of the year!

This is short-term thinking. The body of work is much more alarming, regardless if we circle the wagon for the remainder of the season. Totally agree with Kid in that we have to move quickly on this. If we give Manning another year, we are going to once again send the message that we are not committed to winning, and the hole gets even deeper the year after. Fuck Wellman so hard.

Danny Manning great recruiter - Myth (if you're a great recruiter you don't shit the bed 3 out of 4 years)

Tony Bennett great recruiter - Solid truth

Well said

If we moved quickly and could get a great hire - I'm fine with that fantasy. However, what coach is going to want this job?? The recruits will bolt w/Danny and this will be another longer re-build. Give me Bennett, give me Marshall, give me ??, but first convince me they would come to Wake. I'm definitely not sold on Miller, Kelsey, or any other mid-major (that would seriously consider us) right now. Brad Stevens was supposedly "in the bag", but wasn't the case.

Should be a pretty easy sell. One 500 season netted us 2 top 35 players

Manning Recruiting Myth? National Rankings: 2015 - 30th ranked class, 2016 - 62nd, 2017 - 38th, 2018 - 16th ranked class. Brown & Saar will be very special (and if everyone else stays...) add in next year's class and things will be much better around here. Hopefully, 2019's class will continue to grow.

Manning Recruiting Myth? National Rankings: 2015 - 30th ranked class, 2016 - 62nd, 2017 - 38th, 2018 - 16th ranked class. Brown & Saar will be very special (and if everyone else stays...) add in next year's class and things will be much better around here. Hopefully, 2019's class will continue to grow.

Those rankings look pretty average compared to Prosser and Odom.

Back