• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Ferrell played 36. Gibbs played 37. Geben played 32.

By comparison, Crawford played 21. Moore played 25. Woods played 30.

I was kind of half paying attention to the game while doing other stuff. At one point, Wilbekin hit a 3 and the camera flash to Crawford, Moore, and Woods cheering on the bench. My thought was “Well who is in the game?”
Which is amazing considering how poor of a defensive effort we give.

Manning would make a good assistant coach, concentrating on recruiting and developing big men. He is in way over his head, as a head coach. Not his fault. He just not have what it takes to be a consistently successful head coach at this level. He may have a good recruiting class once in a while, but that does not trump being a lousy head coach. His in-game strategy is horrible, and his sloth-like demeanor on the sidelines is typical of the malaise that surrounds our program.

I have no problem with being patient with someone who shows potential, but a proven track record of failure transcends patience.

Wake Forest basketball was the flagship of our athletic department for decades and decades. I cannot imagine any company retaining a CEO (Wellman) who has destroyed his "company" over a number of years, by sinking his ship with extremely poor hiring decisions and hard-headedly defending such. These last 8 years have been an epic failure. The refusal of out Board of Trustees and a few wealthy donors to change the course have caused incredible damage to our reputation and out fan base has been decimated. There are many undergraduates who never attend a basketball game in their four years at Wake. This does not bode well for future Deacon Club participation

I had season tickets for about 40 years and was a strong supporter of the Deacon Club. I stopped going to games 6 years ago and can honestly say there has not been a single game since then, that I have had any regrets not attending. T.he dumpster fire continues to burn and those that have the power, have proven not to care.

Blame Ron wellman. He murdered the program for reasons I’ll never understand. And I’m not buying into his bullshit narrative in which he blamed Dino for “bad culture” which started this death spiral. I’m not a Dino fan by any means. I thought he was a mediocre coach. The issues, if they even existed during his time appear laughable compared to most other programs.

Manning would make a good assistant coach, concentrating on recruiting and developing big men. He is in way over his head, as a head coach. Not his fault. He just not have what it takes to be a consistently successful head coach at this level. He may have a good recruiting class once in a while, but that does not trump being a lousy head coach. His in-game strategy is horrible, and his sloth-like demeanor on the sidelines is typical of the malaise that surrounds our program.

I have no problem with being patient with someone who shows potential, but a proven track record of failure transcends patience.

Wake Forest basketball was the flagship of our athletic department for decades and decades. I cannot imagine any company retaining a CEO (Wellman) who has destroyed his "company" over a number of years, by sinking his ship with extremely poor hiring decisions and hard-headedly defending such. These last 8 years have been an epic failure. The refusal of out Board of Trustees and a few wealthy donors to change the course have caused incredible damage to our reputation and out fan base has been decimated. There are many undergraduates who never attend a basketball game in their four years at Wake. This does not bode well for future Deacon Club participation

I had season tickets for about 40 years and was a strong supporter of the Deacon Club. I stopped going to games 6 years ago and can honestly say there has not been a single game since then, that I have had any regrets not attending. T.he dumpster fire continues to burn and those that have the power, have proven not to care.

Yes.

Dino was on our bench watching great offensive teams play shitty defense year after year. He gets the job & goes to learn how to teach the pack line defense. His 3 teams overall D ranked 58, 22, & 29. Mediocre yes, but that I always found to be impressive. At the same time, it makes it even harder to watch are current worthless defensive game plan that never seems to change although obviously flawed.

Dino was on our bench watching great offensive teams play shitty defense year after year. He gets the job & goes to learn how to teach the pack line defense. His 3 teams overall D ranked 58, 22, & 29. Mediocre yes, but that I always found to be impressive. At the same time, it makes it even harder to watch are current worthless defensive game plan that never seems to change although obviously flawed.
Have patience. Manning is still learning...I'm not sure what he's learning, but I'm assured that he is.

If crean couldn't win at IU, why would he win at Wake?

If you haven't been reading Dan Collin's blog , My Take on Whatever, you should. Dan is being unmerciful on Manning after the last few games, and as usual is right on target. I think Dan was fair when he wrote for the Journal-- not sure if there was an old grudge there or not.

If crean couldn't win at IU, why would he win at Wake?

Eh, he did win at Indiana. Three Sweet 16s and three 27+ win seasons. It was up and down though.

He also did well at Marquette, even without Wade. Especially considering they were transitioning to the Big East in his last three years.

ETA: His ex-assistant being implicated problem takes him off the table for Wake though.

We have no chance of getting a coach of Crean's caliber when programs like Arizona are going to be hiring new coaches this spring.

Yeah, doesn't seem like Disco Dan liked Manning. At. All.

I'm kinda down with taking a shot on Wes Miller

Can he recruit?

If you haven't been reading Dan Collin's blog , My Take on Whatever, you should. Dan is being unmerciful on Manning after the last few games, and as usual is right on target. I think Dan was fair when he wrote for the Journal-- not sure if there was an old grudge there or not.

At least someone somewhat associated with the media is accurately reflecting this shitshow.

https://mytakeonwhatever.com/category/sports/

Last edited:
I remember Manning's end of season one interview with Dan where Dan asked Manning more than once about how effective Wake might be by playing zone defense instead of man and Manning kind of popped off "well we will never find out now will we?" I wonder if Manning's stubbornness combined with his incompetence rubbed Dan the wrong way.

“Here was a guy, Brey, who lost the preseason ACC Player of the Year, Bonzie Colson, to a broken foot before conference play began. And he lost his best backcourt player, Farrell, for five games during the heart of conference play, to an injury.”

But but but Collins. I mean Collins. Come on. Can’t expect manning to win now

Back