• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Hoop Camp

CHDeac

Reaction score
Anyone's kids go to Coaches summer camp? My 11 YO went to Roy Willams camp (we live in CH), and in addition to getting some AP credit for when he enrolls, he had a blast. He wants to go again but also go to Wake's camp next year and I was curious how it is? The UNC one is overnight, they play 2-3 games each night around campus, have clinics all day with some free time thrown in. Wakes camp looks much less low key so am just curious anyone's experience with it.

I went to the UNC camp a couple of times as a kid when Guthridge was the coach. I had a great time and my picture with Dean and Guthridge is a prized possession. Unfortunately, I still turned out to be bad at basketball.

Anyone's kids go to Coaches summer camp? My 11 YO went to Roy Willams camp (we live in CH), and in addition to getting some AP credit for when he enrolls, he had a blast. He wants to go again but also go to Wake's camp next year and I was curious how it is? The UNC one is overnight, they play 2-3 games each night around campus, have clinics all day with some free time thrown in. Wakes camp looks much less low key so am just curious anyone's experience with it.

we're at the point that I have no idea if this is a joke or not

I was over there all day on Friday & Saturday evaluating our younger officials. Our local TBOA high school officials association provided the referees, which is a real plus for a team camp. Will Murphy, a very nice young man spoke from the coaches office thanking the officials for being there and saying how much it brings to a camp and helps bring in more & better teams. Teams hate it when coaches have to call games so having actual high school refs there is a real benefit. We were there with 2 veteran officials at the courts observing, plus our assignor and head of evaluations roving looking at all the 35 or so officials. The Wake Forest players were around helping out also at the courts as the games were held in Varsity, Reynolds 401, 403, 201 & Budd gyms. I think there were almost 30 teams that came so that was awesome!

Bump in the hope that someone sent their kid….

June must be the best time for the coaches to do these camps, as all of them seem to be in June. I wanted to send my son, but we had a conflict.

We were signed up for the Father-Son camp a few weeks ago and it got cancelled due to lack of interest. Thanks Bzdelick.

My 8 year old attended the individual camp a couple weeks back and loved it, but then again he's happy playing hoops anytime anywhere with anyone. It is relatively low-key, only 3 1/2 hours per day for four days. I'm not sure it would be worth the drive from Chapel Hill.

We were signed up for the Father-Son camp a few weeks ago and it got cancelled due to lack of interest. Thanks Bzdelick.

This better not be going away just as my kid gets to be old enough to go (and now that we have a cool coach to go see).

This better not be going away just as my kid gets to be old enough to go (and now that we have a cool coach to go see).

Skip started this camp, and it was for fathers and sons in the 6-16 age range. It was overnight and a great experience. [Redacted] continued with the same format and had good attendance. Last year the camps were cancelled as Manning and his staff were just arriving and didn't have time to organize everything. This year the father/child camp was for kids age 4-7, which just didn't make much sense as those kids are too young. Hopefully next year they'll go back to the format Skip started.

Hopefully this can get some traction and get better. It just sucks that my son likes UNC now…I was trying to pimp the Wake one and het got excited to go but now I'm not so sure its worth it. As much asI hate to say it, UNCs was pretty awesome.

Hopefully this can get some traction and get better. It just sucks that my son likes UNC now…I was trying to pimp the Wake one and het got excited to go but now I'm not so sure its worth it. As much asI hate to say it, UNCs was pretty awesome.

Bad parent

As a kid I went to the Hubert Davis basketball camp at the Dean Dome a couple of times bc my Aunt was the local Y director and helped to run it. I made a point to wear a Wake Forest article of clothing every day I attended. Kris Lang was such a tool.

Good times were had when I attended the Univ of Maryland Hoop Camp at Cole Field House as a kid in the early '80's. Lefty was a blast! :)

Expect that DM would run a good camp.

Spent my summers attending the nations oldest and largest basketball camp- Campbell! Co-founded by Campbell coach Fred McCall with the legendary Wake Forest coach Bones McKinney. I assume it's still going, but really don't have any idea.

Always some big names showed up because of the proximity to the ACC teams. I met Rodney in the snack shop once. He was a physical specimen the likes of which I had never seen as a kid.

Last edited:
Bad parent

As a kid I went to the Hubert Davis basketball camp at the Dean Dome a couple of times bc my Aunt was the local Y director and helped to run it. I made a point to wear a Wake Forest article of clothing every day I attended. Kris Lang was such a tool.

Oh, the boy likes the Deacons. And he wore his Wake jersey all week. He was actually wearing it in his Roy pic. Which was funny.

My son is 13, and went to DMs camp. He loved it! He hung out with A Rountree, DT, and dirty (Leonard),all week. It was morning, or afternoon session, Mon-Thu. We did afternoon (1 - 4:30). They made teams, and played 2 games each day with a tourney on the last day. They did work some drill stations, but I think it was laid back in that regard. I know he had a blast, but being the one paying, I was hoping for more instruction. I'll send him again next year, though.

Went to Campbell the summer of '89... JR Reid put on quite a show, and I just remember how effing hot it was.

Back