• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Relishing New Life, Challenge of Resurrecting Wake Forest

My only lament is that it took four years of lliteral HELL for Wellman to realize this fact.

If Manning retires from Wake a successful coach, Manning's hiring at Wake will literally be the greatest accomplishment of [Redacted]'s career.

The point is when he succeeds at Wake his resume will be golden as will Clawson's. Should be a fun ride.

NC State, South Carolina.

Look, if Manning succeeds here, there will be plenty of opportunities for him to get a higher profile gig someplace else that will probably pay better. KU is not the only place in the world that can happen.

There are some great quotes in that article, his attitude and prioritization of winning really show through.

"Who says it has to be slow?"
"(If you don't show effort) we'll weed you out."
"A lot of coaches out there have great graduation rates and a lot of moral victories—but at the end of the day, they don't have jobs."

God, we are already wringing our hands about losing Manning...This Board needs to collectively see a shrink.

The shrink would probably do so much good for us that they would move on to bigger and better boards to further their career. :(

Many of you younger fellows may not realize this but as one grows older, there is a tendency to return to one's roots. Could be the same for Manning as he is a product of Guilford County. With the many millions he made earlier he is financially set for life, at this point in his career, I would doubt $$$ plays a part in his decisions.

No worries,I heard he increased the heights of the door frames in his house so he obviously plans on a long tenure.

NC State, South Carolina.

Look, if Manning succeeds here, there will be plenty of opportunities for him to get a higher profile gig someplace else that will probably pay better. KU is not the only place in the world that can happen.

This isn't serious, right? We were paying Grobe twice what Spurrier was making at one point.

And obviously neither one of those are higher profile.

Many of you younger fellows may not realize this but as one grows older, there is a tendency to return to one's roots. Could be the same for Manning as he is a product of Guilford County. With the many millions he made earlier he is financially set for life, at this point in his career, I would doubt $$$ plays a part in his decisions.

So you're saying the Skip should have left for Pitt when he had the chance and was growing older?

This isn't serious, right? We were paying Grobe twice what Spurrier was making at one point.

And obviously neither one of those are higher profile.

I'm talking about Odom's flirtation with State and eventual (forced) departure to USC where they have the name of the state in the school.

So you're saying the Skip should have left for Pitt when he had the chance and was growing older?

We all wondered at the time if he would depart. Probably was a very difficult decision for him.

There are dozens of schools that are potential threats to lure Manning. Not going to list them, but it's not just KU, UK, and the other platinum club members of CBB. He has a unique profile for a college coach and the standard motivations may not apply to him, I don't know. Maybe he loved living in LA and would take a job at USC. Maybe he loved the Big 12 and would go to say, Oklahoma.

The only thing I do know is I'm not going to wring my hands worrying about if and where he might go. He is well connected and well regarded so we will have to fend off potential suitors to keep him, that you can count on.

Another good article:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/lopresti-road-trip/2015-02-04/out-shadows

Out of the shadows

Danny Manning builds a new era at Wake Forest

Mike Lopresti | NCAA.com

Last Updated - Feb 4, 2015 13:45 EST

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- It’s not easy, being Wake Forest, with so many ACC predators about.

Look at the map. The school is surrounded by Tobacco Road bluebloods the way Hawaii is surrounded by blue water. Duke, North Carolina and NC State are all there to fight the Demon Deacons for every headline, every second of airtime, and if need be, every recruit. Together those three own 12 national championship trophies. Wake Forest owns one trip to the Final Four -- 53 years ago. There has been one NCAA tournament win in nine seasons.

But something seems astir here. Start with the new coach. The 6-10 guy. Name should ring a bell.

You remember Danny Manning. He carried Kansas like it was a backpack to the 1988 national title with a magical March, then played 15 seasons in the NBA. But this new gig sounds like the challenge of a lifetime.

"I don’t look at it as a challenge," he said on Tuesday, hours before Wake Forest would lead NC State by 24 but win by four, 88-84. "For me, a challenge is when I was playing professionally, when I blew out my knee three times. Those were challenges; especially the first time I did it when it was considered career-threatening. Where I’m at right now is we’re on a new era of Wake Forest basketball, and we’re building that era each and every day."

Manning was head coach at Tulsa for two seasons before moving to Wake Forest. With Tuesday’s win, he is at 49 career victories. Or 952 fewer than Mike Krzyzewski. Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino and Roy Williams are out there, too. How’s a new man supposed to compete against so many Hall of Fame busts?

"I want to kick everybody’s butt I play against. I don’t care who it is," he said. "That’s just my mindset and that’s how we want to go about doing things. It doesn’t matter who we’re playing, it doesn’t matter where we’re playing, it doesn’t matter the injury situation. When we step out on the court, we want to win. Period. End of discussion."

Now look at season box scores. They tell us 11-12 Wake Forest led Louisville, Duke, Syracuse, Clemson and Florida State in the second half. Lost to them all.

"The one thing that shows is we’re moving in the right direction," Manning said earlier Tuesday. "We just have to finish and close out games. That’s something we’ve talked about on a regular basis."

That evening, his team led 74-51 with 9:47 left, then was outscored 33-14.The mass exhales of relief after the Demon Deacons found a way to hold on were nearly as loud as the motorcycle the mascot had ridden onto the court before the game. It was the second victory in a row they have preserved at the end, after all those near-misses. Even if it was wobbly.

"We won. Never apologize for winning," Manning said. "Yes, there are some things we need to tighten up and get better at.

"But we’ve created a little bit of momentum for ourselves at this point in the season."

(Fun Fact No. 4. The lineup includes junior Devin Thomas, the only player in the ACC averaging a double-double. Also freshman Mitchell Wilbekin, whose brother Scottie was SEC player of the year last season for Florida. And Codi Miller-McIntyre, who put in 23 points Tuesday and is averaging nearly 15 points, five rebounds and four assists. Admit it, you don’t know much about them. Few do.)

"When you look at their numbers, that’s something hopefully people will start to notice," Manning said. "Before that happens we have to be more successful, we have to win more games."

“I want to kick everybody’s butt I play against. I don’t care who it is. That’s just my mindset and that’s how we want to go about doing things.”
— Danny Manning

They’re getting better at that. A team with three freshmen in the starting lineup can only learn how to close out games by doing it.

"We’re a work in progress," Thomas said.

Manning is one of two Final Four most outstanding players coaching Division I teams, along with Duke’s Bobby Hurley at Buffalo. Maybe that feat, and his NBA career, get him listened to by players and recruits.

"He has immediate credibility," Wellman said. "But that credibility is only good for so long, and then he has to perform. The players quickly realized he’s a good coach, too."

(Fun fact No. 5. Manning and assistants Randolph Childress and Steve Woodberry have more than 40 years of professional basketball among them, both in the NBA and overseas.)

Not that they take part in practice, heaven forbid.

"We don’t get up and down anymore. Our days have passed us," Manning said. "If we go out there on the court now and do anything, our main objective is walking away healthy."

He laughed. It was another day to move forward at Wake Forest. The steps are often small, even for a coach with size 16 shoes.

There are some great quotes in that article, his attitude and prioritization of winning really show through.

"Who says it has to be slow?"
"(If you don't show effort) we'll weed you out."
"A lot of coaches out there have great graduation rates and a lot of moral victories—but at the end of the day, they don't have jobs."

He might have potential for Skipisms

Few if any have the combo of historical knowledge and wittiness Skip had, but I love Manning's bluntness and unwillingness to kiss the butts of Coach K/Roy/Boeheim/Pitino. I don't think he's ever acknowledged their successes in interviews, which is awesome.

Those are low grade compared to Skipisms. I have yet to see anything that is close to "If you can't be on time, be early."

That's not a knock against Manning as much as it is an admiration of Skip's greatness.

Is this for real? If it was up to Ron [name redacted] would still be our coach.

"He has immediate credibility," Wellman said. "But that credibility is only good for so long, and then he has to perform."

There is more to that context wise. I just pasted some of the article, not the whole thing. It was too long.

Back