• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

So, did she say that the coach said we was our next hire? If not, I don't think this has to do with any direct information or leaks. Likely, what happened was coaches sitting around shooting the shit. There is a reasonable expectation that Manning will be fired and Forbes is the hot mid major. Therefore, an assumption of those assistant coaches with time on their hands to sit around and gossip is that Forbes is our guy (currently, we may be the best obvious opening in the SE). She wasn't getting an inside scoop. She was just hearing the chatter of guys talking up their colleague as he is poised for a move up somewhere.

Just my hunch. No disrespect intended if she was clear that she heard more direct/specific info.

Yeah just to be clear my story can't be disrespected enough, because I'm certain it was just the result of confusion around a random series of conversations. I'd be shocked if we've even reached out to Forbes yet let alone made any kind of offer, so I had two theories. First, she meant Curry and confused coach with Athletic Director, even though I named Curry and she was like no not that guy. Second is what you said, that in assistant coaching circles it's obvious Forbes will leave ETSU for a better job this year and Wake is a likely spot, so someone was just overstating that potential outcome. And no she didn't say the actual coach said anything directly about Wake.

The only actual takeaway I had from the exchange with any shred of legitimacy was that at least some coaching folks think Manning's exit is a given. So that was comforting.

I'm so confused as to why any single Coach is the answers to all of our problems. Coaches come and go. They also die. We have generally sucked for decades regardless of whom the Coach was with the exception of some normal outlier type luck mainly caused by Tim Duncan falling in our lap.

Don't get me wrong. I want to buy out Manning AND invest in facilities--namely a basketball home. But if faced with choosing one or the other, I would definitely choose the option of infrastructure that will last decades not a quick Coach for our team that is still going to suck through 2025 minimum.

I don't call being named the 23rd all time basketball program shortly after Skips death sucking. Sure we haven't won any titles but we far from sucked and when we wasn't going the the tourney we were usually going to the NIT 13-20 NCAA appearance before skips death along with a handful of NITs. And yes there was an article naming us 23rd all time just behind Duke and UNC in the ACC and even with Maryland.

In the 20 years from 1990- 2010 Wake made 14 NCAA tournaments and over that span had the 4th highest winning percentage in the conference, trailing Maryland for 3rd by only one game. While we aren’t elite we are certainly a top 50 program at a minimum. Why would anyone act like we are a perennial doormat?

There is an article out there that ranked us 23rd all time

Took ETSU in the 2nd half.

Blow this thing open, Steve!

They did.

Love Forbes... Think he'd be a great hire. I think I've said it before, though... He might be a little rough around the edges for some of your more traditional (OLD) Wake Forest basketball fans.

Blame me, my friend. I think I may have been the first to bring up Manning's name here. Suggesting he was worth a look and writing his sweetheart deal are two different things.

Not even close. You posted this on 3/19/14:

Danny Manning was mentioned as a possibility for the VT job. I don't recall seeing his name mentioned here but he would make some sense for Wake. Local guy, played for a HOF coach, an assistant at Kansas for years, relatively young, would do well in press conferences (from what I've read). Only in his second year as a head coach is the biggest red flag. He certainly should be able to get in the door with big-time recruits.

Which was strange, because this was 11/20/12 and appears to be the first mention:

I haven't seen Danny Manning mentioned. He spent 9 years at Kansas, including 6 as an assistant, is largely credited for how successful Kansas has been at developing big men, and is now in his first year as the head man at Tulsa.

Then you have these, which all came before your post:

I looked at the top 100 or so KP teams to see if there were any coaches that have slipped through the cracks here. One name that I like a LOT is Danny Manning, who hasn't really been discussed here outside of one or two posts. He's in his 2nd year with Tulsa, and he's doing okay there, but he spent 6-7 years on Bill Self's staff in Kansas, and developed a reputation for being one of the country's best big man coaches and recruiters. Someone posted a while ago that they didn't think Manning fits Wellman's criteria, but I'm not really sure why. Tulsa is a very small private school, and it's not like Manning is 30 or something (he's 47). Plus, he has ties to the area (went to HS in Greensboro). I think he'd do a hell of a job at a high-major school, though Tulsa might be an extra step away.

I also think Steve Lavin should get a little more love here. I know he's a little flashier than Wellman might prefer, but his resume is awesome, and he's having pretty good success at St. John's. Hell, he landed a 5* PG there last year. He's still somehow only 49, so he could work as a long term hire, too.

Derek Kellogg doesn't get enough credit here. Someone dismissed him a little while ago, but the dude is finally getting returns on his long rebuild with UMass. He was a first time HC when he went there, and the program was a mess, so the rebuild probably took a little longer than it should have. His teams are always solid defensively, and Kellogg plays uptempo, so in terms of style his teams are pretty fun to watch. He was a top recruiter for Cal during his Memphis years, which maybe is a knock against him for Wellman.

Anyway, I used the coaches I gathered to make a top 20 list. Tried to leave off guys that were obvious non-fits (like Josh Pastner :( or Randy Bennett). These are only active HCs, so I left Howland off too.

1.) Gregg Marshall, Wichita St
2.) Shaka Smart, VCU
3.) Buzz Williams, Marquette
4.) Mick Cronin, Cincinnati
5.) Archie Miller, Dayton
6.) Steve Masiello, Manhattan
7.) Michael White, LA Tech
8.) Danny Manning, Tulsa
9.) Fran McCaffery, Iowa
10.) Tommy Amaker, Harvard
11.) Dave Rice, UNLV
12.) Steve Lavin, St John's
13.) Derek Kellogg, UMass
14.) Leon Rice, Boise St
15.) Marvin Menzies, New Mexico St
16.) Anthony Grant, Alabama
17.) Tim Miles, Nebraska
18.) Larry Krystkowiak, Utah
19.) Brian Wardle, Green Bay
20.) Mike Anderson, Arkansas

Only other guys we really haven't discussed on there are Menzies, Wardle, and Anderson.

Danny Manning coaching his first ever team (as a non assistant) and he already has as many conference tournament wins as Jeff [Redacted] does in 8 years as a division 1 head coach (I did not include his years at UMBC bc they were an independent).

Should the job open up, Marshall would be at the top of the list. Howland and White might be on it too. Manning would make sense, but wouldn't that be kinda like us hiring Archie?

Barnes or Crean should be at the top of our list if either becomes available. Turgeon was once a hot name in coaching circles but I am iffy at best. Turgeon's best quality would be if Wellman would fire [Redacted] just so he could have Turgeon.

I don't see Smart coming to Wake Forest. I also don't see Marshall coming and I don't see Marshall fitting at Wake very well (and no it is not because he actually wins games as opposed to the winner of our last coaching search). There was a lot of smoke about the character of Marshall while he was at Winthrop. Just don't seeing him hitting it off with Wellman, Hatch or the Board.

White, Amaker, Lonergan, Turner are all fine choices as well. I also think Danny Manning would be an interesting choice. He has done well at Tulsa which is somewhat similar to Wake in size and academics. Manning has ties to this area from middle school and early to mid high school. He won a state championship at Page High in Greensboro and is a member of the HOF of Guilford County right next door to W-S.

I think Danny Manning is an intriguing candidate.

Local ties.
Great basketball lineage.
Done really well in his profession so far.

Awesome name. Awesome NCAAT memory.

It just dawned on me watching the ESPN ticker the Deacs should take Danny Manning homegrown talent that who just took his second-year Tulsa team to the NCAA tournament he will be a recruiting dynamo

Thanks for the list of posters to ignore this time around...

ETA: Glad I wasn't on it.

Yeah. I was about to give my list of favorites but think I will keep it to myself so OGB doesn’t embarrass me in 6 years after we finally fire Russell Turner.

Really liked Forbes interview after the game. "We're just a great team not individuals, we share the ball and we're really gritty grimy tough on defense in the guts of the game we really defended them."

No mention of paint touches or getting to the line. Just lock them the f down.

It was around for the redacted hire. If my memory serves me well, OGB started a month or so before that.

Before [Redacted]? No. It was started as a BuzzOut response to the Scout board.

All I know is if our new AD has to beg someone until 3:00 AM to be our next HC, let that be the first red flag...

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_ae394c1e-bc0c-11e3-a0d1-0017a43b2370.html
"The best news I got, from my own personal standpoint, came from a new friend named Bill Haisten who covers the Tulsa beat for the Tulsa World. He said Manning is one of the best coaches to work with he's ever known, a guy who will faithfully call you back and deal with you straight."

I imagine Conor finds this statement to be quite laughable.

I think Conor understands the position Danny and the entire athletic department are in. It's really no win for everyone.

“Only now can I acknowledge how glad I am that Wake didn't end up with one or two coaches on the list of candidates who, from all accounts, are pretty much a pain to be around. But in the end, that would have been my problem, and not yours.”

Wonder who those were.

Which was strange, because this was 11/20/12 and appears to be the first mention:

Jesus Christ. Those are horrible takes in hindsight.

“Only now can I acknowledge how glad I am that Wake didn't end up with one or two coaches on the list of candidates who, from all accounts, are pretty much a pain to be around. But in the end, that would have been my problem, and not yours.”

Wonder who those were.

Gregg Marshall has to be one, right?

I was excited for Manning. It didn't take long after he got here to figure out how deficient he was in bench coaching.

The thing about Manning is that there was his resume. Seemingly impressive. Yet anyone that has spent more than five minutes with the guy knows that he is a low personality ass. Completely lacking the ability to sell a program. I have been around him as have others that I know and respect. Everyone is WTF?

Back