• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Concerning defined as Greg Poppovich removing Tim Duncan when all his team needed was a defensive rebound to beat LeBron again and win the title level concerning.

Clawson's Griffis decision rivals that.

71708224007-wake-forest.jpg

The season of complaining
When you get paid millions of dollars to coach a sport, logic says there aren't many things you need to complain about. Coaches know what comes with the job: the recruiting, dealing with the media and boosters, and the criticism, especially if you are getting your tail kicked every week.

College football coaches take it to an entirely different level. Here are a few beauties from some lucky, highly-paid headset wearers this week.

Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson on being upset by Notre Dame showing a video tribute to former Demon Deacons quarterback Sam Hartman:

"We saw it last week (at Notre Dame)," Clawson said during his midweek press conference. "Here's a guy (Hartman) we recruited and we developed, and they are putting on a video of him, saying, 'We will always love you.' I'm like, you only dated him for a couple of months. It can't be love. We are the ones who love him. We had five years with him. You rented him for a season. They bought him and rented him for a year, and now they love him. When that video played, it's just like, holy cow, this is where college football is."

Hmmm, not sure if this is a joke or if Clawson was serious, but either way, it was idiotic.

College football Week 13 grades: Complaining Dave Clawson, Kirk Ferentz are out of touch

After carefully looking at Clawson’s stats, I think he has achieved his peak at Wake. He has produced results, but cannot get over the hump. Grobe came close, but missed it. Clawson had the opportunity with the COVID season, but missed it. I don’t see Clawson righting the ship. :(

7 consecutive seasons at Wake with at least 3 conference wins is an accomplishment.

After carefully looking at Clawson’s stats, I think he has achieved his peak at Wake. He has produced results, but cannot get over the hump. Grobe came close, but missed it. Clawson had the opportunity with the COVID season, but missed it. I don’t see Clawson righting the ship. :(

I think the majority of our fanbase understand how hard it can be to win at Wake and appreciate what Dave has done. I certainly do. However, this season did not need to end 4-8. With just a little bit of imagination and some creativity, 6-7 wins was very realistic this year. And that is what concerns me the most. We were hell bent on putting a square peg into a round hole. I don't think that can be the attitude at a place like Wake. Especially given the NIL tsunami that is going to hit.

Hard to say whether the people who are questioning if clawson is the long term choice here are legit or trolling. Assume they are legit as we do have some truly dumb fans here. Not saying is clawson is above reproach on certain decisions, but i also am gonna defer to clawson knowing more than i do about football by a factor of prob 100x, maybe higher, than 99.9% of the folks who post here.

We literally have a head coach who has inherited four programs in the gutter, turned all four around, won championships at 3 of the 4 and almost won at the 4th.

Today, he’s the head coach at a program that is in vastly better shape than anything he’s ever inherited before, and we have people who doubt he can turn things around again?

Hell he could have gone 0-12 this year and 0-12 next year, and literally the best possible hire we could make to turn wake forest around in 2025 would be… dave clawson.

More i could say to prove the point but not worth the effort. Either they are trolls or morons, and that means the jokes on me for taking the time to reply in the first place.

If you want to bring a guy back after back to back 0 win seasons, then you’re saying he is above reproach.
I’m saying the track record of a guy who has gone four for four in rebuilding programs would make him the best coach available for wake’s third rebuild of this century. Not that we currently need a rebuild. But even if we did - Clawson would still be the answer.

I’m saying the track record of a guy who has gone four for four in rebuilding programs would make him the best coach available for wake’s third rebuild of this century. Especially since he has rebuilt Wake once.
You said a guy with back to back 0 win seasons at a place would be the best person to turn it around and yet called other people trolls

I’m saying the track record of a guy who has gone four for four in rebuilding programs would make him the best coach available for wake’s third rebuild of this century. Not that we currently need a rebuild. But even if we did - Clawson would still be the answer.

You said a guy with back to back 0 win seasons at a place would be the best person to turn it around and yet called other people trolls.
Yes. Its not trolling when it’s true.

The bowl game thing is weird. I mean it’s unprecedented at wake but there’s tons of teams that have done it and a number with longer active streaks than ours. I mean it’s cool but not the best indicator of coaching success. It says more about modern scheduling and the overwhelming number of bowl games. I mean there is currently a thread about this garbage heap of a team maybe making a bowl this year.

One winning conference record in 10 is all that matters to me. Hard to say our next three years will be any better than Dave’s first three years. We still suck at recruiting acc level talent and let’s face it that’s a low P5 bar. Our development model was the best option but doesn’t work anymore.
Sports illustrated States that Wake Forest would have gotten a bowl bid at 5-7 due to academic standing. Instead the bowl bid went to Minnesota, 5-7, which had a lower academic standard than Wake. We should have kicked the extra point and played for overtime.

The fact that we could have backed into a bowl game with a win in that game yesterday and failed to do it is face-palm worthy.

On the other hand, it's complete BS that we had to play AT Syracuse four years out of five. Maybe there are legit reasons for that, I'm not researching it, but seems like more of the same "please bend over" to WF from the ACC.

Sports illustrated States that Wake Forest would have gotten a bowl bid at 5-7 due to academic standing. Instead the bowl bid went to Minnesota, 5-7, which had a lower academic standard than Wake. We should have kicked the extra point and played for overtime.
And beating Syracuse opens up one more slot. Both Wake and Minnesota would bowl.

Back