• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DC to GSO via 29?

awakeandready

Squirrelmonger
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this? I have friends leaving from DC around 4pm today to drive to GSO and they asked about 29. I think I've done 29 before and remember a lot of horsefarms but that's about it.

Listen, ITC, I DID look at it on a map! It says it's about 15 fewer miles but 10 minutes more in zero traffic. I'd like to know if people recommend taking it - is it worth it? If it's what I remember then it can be bad to get stuck behind a truck or a slow mover.

Any thoughts on this? I have friends leaving from DC around 4pm today to drive to GSO and they asked about 29. I think I've done 29 before and remember a lot of horsefarms but that's about it.

Biggest problem is getting out of NOVA, you still hit a ton of traffic until you get to warrenton

If they have 3 people and can take the HOV on 95, I would recommend going that way over 29, otherwise it's a crapshoot.

Alright - I'll tell them it's probably best to just stick with 95 and deal with Richmond. Thanks!

I've literally never hit traffic in Richmond. Ever.

Neither have I. Once you get past Fredericksburg on 95, it's typically smooth sailing, although that section is a bitch.

I don't have experience but pretty sure 66 will be a parking lot as well

yeah 66 will probably be bad, I'm usually not driving with the majority of traffic.

I've done 29 a few times. It's scenic if you want a scenic drive. Leaving DC at 4 is not good but once you get past either Fredericksburg on 95 south or Gainesville on 66 west, it's not bad. Traffic is going to suck for 30 minutes to an hour for them any way they go. Considering that, take 95 to 85 because it's faster and less speed traps.

Yeah I think they'll go 95 to 85. They can't leave earlier than 4 and traffic would be bad in those areas for a few hours after that anyway so it will suck but the best they can do.

Yeah I think they'll go 95 to 85. They can't leave earlier than 4 and traffic would be bad in those areas for a few hours after that anyway so it will suck but the best they can do.

If they could leave at 3, they could probably miss the traffic. HOV lanes on 95 start getting backed up about 3:30.

Back