• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs vs Gardner Webb Game Thread - 9/6/14 @ 6:30 ESPN3

I remain seriously impressed with this guy. He is almost as articulate as Skip.

With Clawson and Elrod involved the discourse of the post game radio interview is definitely raised. N00ba will get lost in the shuffle.

Still waiting for someone to tell us what the hell is the deal with Tyree Harris. He catches everything thrown at him last year and I got to watch him last night from section 4 acting like Martin and Ragland last year.

He was the hardest working skill guy we had. His attitude at WF has been great. I hope the 2 sides can work it out. It isn't just on the player. Tyree is a guy who works and works till the point of puking. He is a football junkie and a very solid person. Honestly confused and though I support the staff it would be great to see some sort of kiss and make up here...

Jesus, you don't even watch the entire game when we're winning? Horrible fucking fanbase.

He's the fucking worst and exemplifies "ignorant fan base" -- he is better left out in the parking lot scorching his flank steak.

He was the hardest working skill guy we had. His attitude at WF has been great. I hope the 2 sides can work it out. It isn't just on the player. Tyree is a guy who works and works till the point of puking. He is a football junkie and a very solid person. Honestly confused and though I support the staff it would be great to see some sort of kiss and make up here...

So what's the deal? Clearly we need help at WR. Also, what's the deal with 83? He had 100 yards in one game IIRC last year and has been nearly nonexistent since

Sooo how on Earth is 55 at Center our best line-up? It was so frustrating watching him whiff on blocks and then our tackles get beat on the outside by that vaunted Gardner-Web speed rush.

Clawson said in his post game presser that our guys aren't turning in big plays. Coach, if you want big plays you need to recruit some star players. Save at QB, we have no skill players capable of breaking the game open.

Do you think we need skill players more than we need better blocking? Disappointing number of drops from our WRs, but I still don't know how good our RBs might be because there doesn't seem to be anywhere to run.

Clawson said in his post game presser that our guys aren't turning in big plays. Coach, if you want big plays you need to recruit some star players. Save at QB, we have no skill players capable of breaking the game open.

This seems a little unfair, no?

Guys, I'm not really sure what's objectionable about my remarks on Clawson's "big play" comments. You don't get big plays from guys who aren't "big play" players. You get them from guys like Givens or Camp. And we don't have those types on the roster. Those guys showed their prowess as rookies. We have none of that now. Is it unfair? Only if you believe truth is unfair and our team should be free from reality.

@DC, well, Clawson was talking about skill players not making big plays, so that's what I addressed. Of course not having OL hurts everything at a fundamental level. I wouldn't say skill players not making big plays is our no. 1 issue right now. But I'd agree with CDC that it's "an" issue.

What's your point, though. Clawson just got here. He knows he has to recruit better and he has already recruited better. He knows it's on him to put up or shut up. Give the guy a chance or just quit watching this year. It won't get any less shitty.

Claw will find the way. I love how he we lighting up Dawson at the end of the game for that penalty. The shut out was important to the starters. Claw now knows that the 2nd teamers were not prepared to go in during "Garbage' Time". He can go after them this week in practice to be prepared to go in next time. DCDeacon, some guys get too caught up in skill positions (fantasy football thinking). Dominique Gibson could be a game breaker if the OL flattens the front 7.

What's your point, though. Clawson just got here. He knows he has to recruit better and he has already recruited better. He knows it's on him to put up or shut up. Give the guy a chance or just quit watching this year. It won't get any less shitty.

The point was that I don't believe Clawson can realistically be expecting guys like Reynolds and Matt James to turn in big plays. I'm not ripping on Clawson, I support him and recognize that the cupboard was and is bare. I watched Carolina pull out their game last night against SDSU and it wasn't because of any clockwork offense or anything. It was because of stud players making big time plays. They have talent out the ass compared to us. That's where big plays come from. If you think the comment worthless, I guess you just don't care for forum discussion of coaches' comments and things like that. My comment wasn't a complaint. It was an observation of what we are right now. We don't have any big play guys at WR and RB. That's all.

Not to disagree totally with you, Matt James dropping the long pass in the ULM game was a big play, it would have been a big positive play if he catches it but..... I think Clawson and we fans can expect or hope for guys within their talent to make a big tackle, bust up pass, make the interception... but it is painfully clear we need a much better talent level to be able to compete and make those plays against better teams.

The problem Clawson has with the fan base and Tyree is we have seen him play against not Gardner Webb and be damn effective. Then we see what is playing ahead of him. Coach is going to keep getting questioned on this because so far the fan base ain't buying the reason Tyree is not playing.

I thought his post-game comments were pretty great. He gets it, and there is basically no spin whatsoever -- I get the sense that if the challenge can be met, he's going to take care of business.

Back