• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Debit Card Security Issues

CHDeac

Reaction score
Over the past 6 months, Ive gotten 3 calls from Bank of America telling me that my debit card has been possibly compromised.

In one case, there were unauthorized charges (small) but in the other 2 there weren't.

BOA has been surprisingly great to deal with. Fast, proactive, easy.

But, WTF is going on? Its a royal pain not to have an ATM card for a week (they always cancel it and reissue) and we dont use it in places that are easy to hack (like gas stations, etc). I'm just shocked that its been compromised so frequently. We are going all CC now for the most part (which we hate)....

Anybody else have issues? Any ideas how this happens? Is it mainly data hacking or have card readers been compromised? Or is it dishonest waiters?

I always do credit card unless I am at Harris Teeter and need cash back and I will use my debit card.
FWIW, I got my 1st ever fraud alert on a credit card a couple of months ago (some yahoo trying to test my card number at a Findlay, OH mall) and had to be reissued a new card. Changing 5-7 autodrafts was a pain in the ass, but thankfully no bogus charges went through.

Probably getting pick-pocketed by the mentally-ill/homeless people you keep driving around town, Limo Man.

I went through 6 cards in a year a couple of years ago and was able to narrow the culprit down to a single restaurant. More likely than not I'd say that it's something like that rather than compromised card readers. I think that skimming devices are also relatively common, but I think the most likely answer is that it's something low-tech.

I went through 6 cards in a year a couple of years ago and was able to narrow the culprit down to a single restaurant. More likely than not I'd say that it's something like that rather than compromised card readers. I think that skimming devices are also relatively common, but I think the most likely answer is that it's something low-tech.

which one

which one

Los Cuates in Georgetown. They delivered to my old place when I lived over that way and we ordered from there quite a bit. Once we figured out it was them and stopped using our credit card there I never had any more problems.

I probably went through 4 Barclays/USAirways cards in 2013. Had it narrowed down to Target, Walmart, ABC store and a restaurant that shall go unnamed...all in The Dash. Updating the autodrafts is a pain, but otherwise the bank was easy to deal with.

I probably went through 4 Barclays/USAirways cards in 2013. Had it narrowed down to Target, Walmart, ABC store and a restaurant that shall go unnamed...all in The Dash. Updating the autodrafts is a pain, but otherwise the bank was easy to deal with.

Hmm sure you can't share the name of that restaurant? Definitely seems the most likely offender if it's happened multiple times to you..

Probably getting pick-pocketed by the mentally-ill/homeless people you keep driving around town, Limo Man.

Exactly. That 'effing little SOB!

BTW, Mrs. CHDeac just asked me if there is a Mrs. Bubble Boy yet?

Murica is behind the times. Europe has identified this problem and has installed security chips in its cards. Outside higher end Amex cards in the US tho most cards don't have the chips stateside. The chips would have wholly prevented the Target fiasco from the past winter. I have chip Amex and citi cards now. It is the future until the crooks catch up again.

Murica is behind the times. Europe has identified this problem and has installed security chips in its cards. Outside higher end Amex cards in the US tho most cards don't have the chips stateside. The chips would have wholly prevented the Target fiasco from the past winter. I have chip Amex and citi cards now. It is the future until the crooks catch up again.

Additionally, in the UK, for instance, waitstaff must run your card at your table -- vendors are not allowed to physically take your card out of your sight.

Yeah, I got a chip in my Amex and haven't had a problem since.

Hmm sure you can't share the name of that restaurant? Definitely seems the most likely offender if it's happened multiple times to you..

Don't worry....it wasn't Cookout.

We ultimately confirmed that it was ABC.

I have my autodrafts set-up on a credit card I don't use for anything else. I think it's the way to go.

Use the "credit" portion of it, never insert your PIN in public. Plus if you choose Debit, you don't get typical credit card protection.

Also...CASH.

Back