• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Delaware State Thread

Is this loss due more to the lack of talent from our players, or coaching?

Even though May from DSU had a career game, shouldn't a good coach be able to overcome the latter, and beat a team like DSU? Remember we have had to watch 4 years of [name redacted], and as a result just about any coach looks better when compared to him. Yes, Manning has showed signs of being a competent coach on both offense and defense, but losing at home to both Iona and DSU is not acceptable. However, if our talent level is just that bad, then I can understand and accept these losses, and wait for Manning's own players to come in (Wilbekin does appear to be a decent player).

Is this loss due more to the lack of talent from our players, or coaching?

This is par for the course for players recruited by [Redacted], so talent, or compete and total lack thereof, is the biggest problem. Anyone who committed to that loser has to be considered extremely questionable from a talent and intelligence standpoint.

Complete embarrassment, nothing positive to say about anyone involved in this debacle.

Will Devin ever learn that he can't take nights off, or is he just too rhapsodic by nature?

Team was tired, Manning over scheduled.

How the fuck do you lose to Delaware State? No rational explanation will do. This should simply never happen.

Who is the next nobody who will come into our home and embarrass us?
Devin still hasn't developed any kind of right hand. Going left every time isn't going to work consistently against a good, athletic shot blocker like #1 was. And the "I'm gonna put a shot up through a triple team because I haven't scored yet" mentality won't work either.

You are simply wrong. You start with a premise and try to find facts to make it work.

Tonight is perfect example. Earlier you said Tree was doing a bad job on May. the reality is he did by far the best job of any of our players on him. I'm not the only who has posted this.

Even the last basket he did what he was supposed to but the help didn't show up.

Not any facts, just my opinion. I've watched every game Tree has played and I think he is bad keeping small players in front of him as well as chasing wings through screens. I've posted this many times before this game. It's not Tree's fault, he is a pretty good team defender, just doesn't have foot quickness. I wrote a post earlier this season complimenting Manning for moving him into the big man rotation and was excited about that development.

Tonight he did fine enough I guess, his defense didn't really hurt us, but he did allow May to get right to the front of the rim at last 4 times including the play that won the game for Del St. (the 3 pt play with 1:00 left to push lead from 1 to 4). As I said in game thread, I would have been fine with cross matching up Tree on May a few possessions and putting Hudson or McClinton on one of their zero offense bigs to provide a different look.

But I think it was a big mistake to play weird lineups with 3 bigs we haven't played 1 minute all season just so Tree can cover the #hothand. It completely shut down our offense at the 10 minute or so mark.

This was an absolutely unacceptably stupid loss. Looked to me like they were not ready for competition and thought they would roll. Devin was just terrible and clearly did not come ready to play or be challenged. His head is firmly planted up his ass and that is why we lost. Your supposed leading scorer cannot put up a goose egg especially when the young guys are struggling with their shots. He should have taken over in the second half and carried this team to victory but instead forced shots and stood around on defense. Unbelievable! He needs to get his shit together and fast. No excuse for this loss.

Devin still hasn't developed

IMO, nobody has developed since their freshman year. It's almost like the players from the junior class are still at a "freshman" skill level because [name redacted] never developed/coached his players.

IMO, nobody has developed since their freshman year. It's almost like the players from the junior class are still at a "freshman" skill level because [name redacted] never developed/coached his players.

When I think about player development and the overall poise and maturity of players under Dave Odom and compare it to where we are now, I get a real bad case of the sads.

Not any facts, just my opinion. I've watched every game Tree has played and I think he is bad keeping small players in front of him as well as chasing wings through screens. I've posted this many times before this game. It's not Tree's fault, he is a pretty good team defender, just doesn't have foot quickness. I wrote a post earlier this season complimenting Manning for moving him into the big man rotation and was excited about that development.

Tonight he did fine enough I guess, his defense didn't really hurt us, but he did allow May to get right to the front of the rim at last 4 times including the play that won the game for Del St. (the 3 pt play with 1:00 left to push lead from 1 to 4). As I said in game thread, I would have been fine with cross matching up Tree on May a few possessions and putting Hudson or McClinton on one of their zero offense bigs to provide a different look.

But I think it was a big mistake to play weird lineups with 3 bigs we haven't played 1 minute all season just so Tree can cover the #hothand. It completely shut down our offense at the 10 minute or so mark.

The play that won the game Dstate was exactly what he was supported to do. He (on whomever was in that position) was supposed to take away the outside and passing lanes. He was supposed to funny May into the lane where the help should have been waiting just inside the FT line. The help didn't do their job.

If the others had done what they were told to do, we would have gotten a steal.

This is par for the course for players recruited by [name redacted], so talent, or compete and total lack thereof, is the biggest problem. Anyone who committed to that loser has to be considered extremely questionable from a talent and intelligence standpoint.

The day can't get here fast enough when all the guys from the old regime are gone.

When I think about player development and the overall poise and maturity of players under Dave Odom and compare it to where we are now, I get a real bad case of the sads.

You can't change multiple years of terrible coaching in six weeks. That being said, Danny coached badly tonight.

The level this program has sank to over the last 5 years is unreal.
It'll get better. Just need the junior class to graduate and let Manning recruit some studs. I'm pretty confident he will.

Back