• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Delaware State Thread

We are going to have 3 freshmen starting next year
Not so sure about that. I doubt Moore will offer much next year. Crawford could take over at PG, but there may not be enough shooting in the backcourt if it's him and CMM (I admittedly don't know how good of a shooter Crawford is, have only seen a highlight tape). And Collins plays Devin's position, but maybe he'll start alongside him.

Where did I say I gave up on him? The recruiting is better. The offense has looked better (aside from last night). Rebounding has been better. But we were going to struggle to have a winning record this year given the tough schedule... Losing to teams like Delaware State means my expectations are probably now something like 13-18 instead of 16-15. That's not going to fire people up. It's not going to convince me we are on the right track. The bloom is off the Rose... That's all I'm saying.
He's had two hall of fame Bz games.

I had to wake up to this news we lost a couple hours ago. I have no idea what happened or how we lost but all I'm saying is if this group can't beat Delaware st, then we're gonna need 3 new starters next year. At least 2. Doral can play C and Crawford at PG. And after seeing DT's stats the last couple games...one would think a bouncy big man like Collins could definitely do better than that. I like the sound of 3 new freshmen coming in here determined to change things around. DT needs to get his act straight or he's going to be coming off the bench next season

So Manning has one inexcusable loss and one loss because he called a timeout when we didn't have anymore. Good start to his WFU career!

Manning did just about everything he could in that game. He put 4 different guys on May. He stopped us from taking quick shots and we got plenty of open looks. When it was clear we weren't hitting outside shots we were using the pick and roll to get into the paint.

Sometimes games just boil down to whether kids perform or not. Dinos had 4 wide open, toes-on-the-line 3 pointers and hit none of them. Add together all the minutes from Devin, Dinos, McClinton, and Leonard - you get 2 buckets and 10% from the field.

I love Wilbekin's shooting as much as anyone, but he was a liability on defense last night and was just getting killed on drives to the basket. He just doesn't have any length once guys go by him to challenge shots. When he's covering true point guards it's not a big issue, but he couldn't guard May and he couldn't stop their scorers. Blame Codi all you want, but he's still the only guy on the team who can lock down his man and score. He just didn't have any help and had to do too much. All the Rountree praise is great, but he was far from perfect and 2 of his 3 buckets came on blown defensive assignments for uncontested layups.

We shot some absurdly poor percentage in the 2nd half - maybe around 20%? Manning went offense for defense at every opportunity, and we somehow still had multiple chances to tie the game with free throws. We missed half of them instead. Went from down 7, put on a surprise press, got it to free throws twice to tie and couldn't make them. You go through that just to have Devin and Rountree give back-to-back, pathetically weak 3 point plays.

This was the opposite of the blown timeout. Despite the worst performance of the year offensively and some incredibly poor individual defensive performances, we had multiple opportunities to tie the game at the end. Instead we go 2/6 from the stripe at the end and lose.

Just hit the stupid free throws and we probably pull out a win despite our horrid play. The discussion today would be much different - it'd be about how a good coach can orchestrate a win despite his team playing horribly.

Honestly, while it's easy to crush Devin and his zero points, at least he was facing a legit big man and triple teams all night. My goat of the game goes to Dinos. Where is that game 1 Dinos? 1/5, open all night because of the attention to Devin, too content to settle for 3's, couldn't finish through contact, missed big free throws down the stretch, 3 points in the 2nd half. Dinos has to step up if teams are going to play Devin like that.

I had to wake up to this news we lost a couple hours ago. I have no idea what happened or how we lost but all I'm saying is if this group can't beat Delaware st, then we're gonna need 3 new starters next year. At least 2. Doral can play C and Crawford at PG. And after seeing DT's stats the last couple games...one would think a bouncy big man like Collins could definitely do better than that. I like the sound of 3 new freshmen coming in here determined to change things around. DT needs to get his act straight or he's going to be coming off the bench next season
A senior DT won't be coming off the bench. He has his ups and downs but we aren't bringing in enough talent to supplant him, if for no other reason than the experience factor.

Calm down. I don't think anyone thought we would have a competitive team this year especially after the transfers. We expected have a mediocre team and that's what we have in a 4-3 team. I just want to see steady improvement by years end.

The point is that it never was nor should have been Wilbekin's responsibility to guard May. If Manning gave him a chance for a stretch and he failed, how was that any worse than Hudson or CMM's D. MW on their PG in man or an extended 3-2 zone that we really didn't employ that I could tell. Seemed like more of a match-up zone. Regardless, not enough offense from anyone really but Wilbekin seemed to get buried on the bench in favor of MJ, inexplicably so IMO.

Have you read the reports on moore? Should be good, but def not a day 1 phenomenon.

Manning did just about everything he could in that game. He put 4 different guys on May. He stopped us from taking quick shots and we got plenty of open looks. When it was clear we weren't hitting outside shots we were using the pick and roll to get into the paint.

Sometimes games just boil down to whether kids perform or not. Dinos had 4 wide open, toes-on-the-line 3 pointers and hit none of them. Add together all the minutes from Devin, Dinos, McClinton, and Leonard - you get 2 buckets and 10% from the field.

I love Wilbekin's shooting as much as anyone, but he was a liability on defense last night and was just getting killed on drives to the basket. He just doesn't have any length once guys go by him to challenge shots. When he's covering true point guards it's not a big issue, but he couldn't guard May and he couldn't stop their scorers. Blame Codi all you want, but he's still the only guy on the team who can lock down his man and score. He just didn't have any help and had to do too much. All the Rountree praise is great, but he was far from perfect and 2 of his 3 buckets came on blown defensive assignments for uncontested layups.

We shot some absurdly poor percentage in the 2nd half - maybe around 20%? Manning went offense for defense at every opportunity, and we somehow still had multiple chances to tie the game with free throws. We missed half of them instead. Went from down 7, put on a surprise press, got it to free throws twice to tie and couldn't make them. You go through that just to have Devin and Rountree give back-to-back, pathetically weak 3 point plays.

This was the opposite of the blown timeout. Despite the worst performance of the year offensively and some incredibly poor individual defensive performances, we had multiple opportunities to tie the game at the end. Instead we go 2/6 from the stripe at the end and lose.

Just hit the stupid free throws and we probably pull out a win despite our horrid play. The discussion today would be much different - it'd be about how a good coach can orchestrate a win despite his team playing horribly.

Honestly, while it's easy to crush Devin and his zero points, at least he was facing a legit big man and triple teams all night. My goat of the game goes to Dinos. Where is that game 1 Dinos? 1/5, open all night because of the attention to Devin, too content to settle for 3's, couldn't finish through contact, missed big free throws down the stretch, 3 points in the 2nd half. Dinos has to step up if teams are going to play Devin like that.

aka he panicked.

Also, I am somewhat concerned about Dinos' game. The reports I've read here made it seem like he was much more polished but his stroke looked awkward and hitchy to me in person. He seems to move fairly well for a big guy and he seems to possess pretty good BB IQ. However, he looked unsure of his shot and he was a bit more demure at the rim than I expected. Hopefully I simply caught him on a very off night. We're gonna need him to play well more often than not.

So Manning has one inexcusable loss and one loss because he called a timeout when we didn't have anymore. Good start to his WFU career!

Seeing if I read this correctly.

We need better players. They are coming soon. This team should improve as the year progresses. Is anyone really that shocked that a mostly Bzssembled team lost to a crap conference team after replacing 3 impact players with freshman? We will beat some good teams this year and lost to some bad ones.

Real success will not happen overnight. And what this all comes down to is Wellman hiring [Redacted], thus adding 4 years to any rebuilding plan. Such an idiot.

We didn't lose that game because of the timeout. We lost it because we put ourselves in a horrible position, having to dig out of a hole late. The TO was just icing on the cake.

I'm disappointed but also eager to see if this team improves or folds. Would love to see some evidence of player development this season. Best big man coach in NCAA apparently and Chill was a must retain, or at least that was what I was told. So we shall see if anyone learns to shoot better or DT cleans up his game.

Back