• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

OK, I didn't realize that Bernie had taken to the Twitters.

In a vacuum, you are correct.

All lives do, in fact, matter. However, when used as a response to "black lives matter," you honestly don't see how that is dismissive? You can't comprehend how that comes across as "hush up blacks, there is nothing of note in how you've been treated by the systems of power and authority in place"?

To answer your questions in one word: no.

You could have just said no then.

Then you're obtuse.

Yeah a response of "all lives matter" when someone says "black lives matter" is pretty clearly dismissive. Even if you don't agree that we need the black lives matter slogan, it shouldn't preclude a finding that "all lives matter" is dismissive.

The best way I've heard it explained it that "all lives matter" is like screaming "all cancers matter" at a breast cancer fundraiser.

If you truly believe all lives matter than black lives matter would be considered part of the solution instead of a problem.

It's no coincidence how the "all lives matter" slogan overlaps with "history not hate" and "take back our country"

From all I've read and seen from #blacklivesmatter protests and events, other ethnic minorities facing discrimination have been folded into the message. #alllivesmatter is no rallying message for equality, it's more just a snide rebuttal to dismiss the cause. Everyone using that slogan is a white person using it defensively in opposition to #blacklivesmatter

You really have to think like a liberal to find fault in "all lives matter". I am trying, but, so far it's not working.

I will keep trying. It took President Obama years and years to evolve on marriage equality so maybe there is hope for me after all. You just have to bend it and squeeze it and twist it and presto "all lives matter" is dismissive and borderline racist.

You really have to think from a place of privilege to not see the problem there. I'm sure that to white, landowning males, the phrase "All men are created equal" sounded pretty fucking revolutionary and great, too. Unfortunately, it's dismissive, hollow, and blatantly false, much like #alllivesmatter.

You really have to think from a place of privilege to not see the problem there. I'm sure that to white, landowning males, the phrase "All men are created equal" sounded pretty fucking revolutionary and great, too. Unfortunately, it's dismissive, hollow, and blatantly false, much like #alllivesmatter.

I am sure we would have had a much better declaration of independence if someone of your highminded nuance had been around 250 years ago. Those guys were just a bunch of neanderthals looking out for their own.

I am sure we would have had a much better declaration of independence if someone of your highminded nuance had been around 250 years ago. Those guys were just a bunch of neanderthals looking out for their own.
This is an example of disengeniousness. We've clearly explained the problem with #alllivesmatter multiple times now, but instead of just admitting that you don't like it, you just keep pretending that you don't understand it.

fa8izKd.jpg

bernie is bae

Here are some good articles about the Netroots Nation controversies.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...er_protest_hillary_clinton_needs_to_take.html

He erred, however, when protesters shouted their slogan, “Black lives matter!” O’Malley responded, “Black lives matter. White lives matter. All lives matter.” The demonstrators booed. The reason is easy to understand. “Black lives matter” is a statement of specific concern; police violence is most acute against black Americans, and so activists stress the importance of their lives. To reply with “all lives matter” is to suggest there’s no specific problem of police abuse targeted at black Americans. It’s as if someone responded to an annual breast cancer drive with “Breast cancer matters. Prostate cancer matters. All cancer matters.” It sounds like a dismissal, and that’s how it was received.

If this was a miscue, then the confrontation with Sanders was a fiasco. Whereas O’Malley adjusted to protesters, Sanders tried to barrel through them. “Whoa, whoa, let me talk about what I came to talk about for a minute,” he said. Speaking over shouts of “say her name” and “black lives matter,” Sanders tried to establish his civil rights bona fides. “Black lives, of course, matter. I spent 50 years of my life fighting for civil rights and for dignity,” he said. “But if you don’t want me to be here, that’s OK. I don’t want to outscream people.” Even if that response was understandable, Sanders only made things worse. When he tried to cite Obamacare as something he’s done for people of color, protesters responded with jeers. One woman said, “We can’t afford that!” When he talked up free college and opportunity for black Americans, a heckler yelled “Public college won’t stop police from killing us!”

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/20/9003233/all-lives-matter-black

Do activists really believe that only black lives matter? No, of course they don't. But as the phrase "black lives matter" has moved into the mainstream of progressive politics over the last year, the response that "all lives matter" has been used to try to shut it down — or to obscure the real racial disparities in police/community relations.So while O'Malley almost certainly wasn't trying to diminish the movement, he touched a nerve — and set off another round of argument about what the slogan really means.
Activists feel police often act like black lives don't matter

The hashtag #BlackLivesMatter, and the campaign that's organized around it for the past year, isn't about the general improvement of the well-being of African Americans. It's a protest against police killings of young black men and women and the deaths of young black men and women in police custody. To the activists in the #BlackLivesMatter movement, the frequency with which black Americans die at the hands of police — and the circumstances of those deaths — are powerful evidence that law enforcement doesn't care as much about black lives as white lives. And they point to the media reaction to those deaths, which often focuses on the criminal records of the victims, as evidence that American society doesn't care as much about black lives either.

All lives matter, but not all lives are equally under threat

#BlackLivesMatter is a specific cause. And it's pretty well accepted that if someone supports one cause, it doesn't mean they don't care about other ones.

Probably depends on the state.

Still seems like that's a complaint at the states who are intentionally trying to undermine the ACA rather than Bernie, but I guess he was the one there to talk to about so that's understandable maybe.

Back