• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Dig Deeper'" just KISS it Ron!!!!

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
I think the "Dig Deeper" line that Wellman gave yesterday showed exactly what his misguided thoughts were when he hired Jeff [Redacted]. I think it all goes back to Jim Grobe. When Ron Wellman hired Grobe you saw career .500 record at Ohio, but if you did dig deeper you'd see how he was an assistant under a great coach Fisher DeBerry and turned around a beyond horrid Ohio football program. Despite the last 5 year's of Grobe's tenure, you cannot dispute that Jim Grobe was exactly what Wake Forest football needed when he arrived. At that time, we needed a more outside the box type of hire and what Grobe was able to accomplish on the field here and the improvements to our stadium that helped bring about, helped us be able to hire a coach the quality of Dave Clawson. If it were not for the fact that Grobe showed we could when a conference title in football and that we now have a beautiful stadium, maybe Clawson isn't as interested in being our football coach.

Unfortunately, I think when Ron Wellman went about replacing Dino, he used this same "outside the box" model in a situation that was completely different in my opinion. Our basketball coaching position is a much more attractive position than our football coaching position, especially at the time Wellman was making the hire (the position certainly hasn't been made more attractive after the [Redacted] disaster). Sometimes digging deeper and thinking outside the box are great and necessary, but sometimes the best thing you can do is KISS (keep it simple stupid). We didn't need a program changer or even a program builder, which [Redacted] is neither, but Wellman must have thought he was. We needed a coach, that had a proven track record as a winner, a good recruiter, a clean history with the NCAA and I'm sure there were coaches out there that fit the bill at the time. After listening to yesterday's press conference I have no confidence that Ron Wellman learned from his mistake, but I hope he has and I hope he will KISS the hire he is about to make.

Hello sir,

Did you know that I was Fisher DeBerry's babysitter one summer? He was around 8 years old, I believe. Tell Fisher I say hello.

Nice speaking with you,

ProudDeacon1948

Grobe was loved at Ohio after he left. Their fans came here and told us we got a great one.

[Redacted] left a sports reporter from Colorado Springs so bitter that he still writes columns celebrating his failures.

Grobe was loved at Ohio after he left. Their fans came here and told us we got a great one.

[Redacted] left a sports reporter from Colorado Springs so bitter that he still writes columns celebrating his failures.

Exactly, and contrary to what Ron said yesterday, I think you can argue that Ron didn't dig deep enough when it came to [Redacted]. Sure he had success at Air Force and his Colorado team "improved" record-wise every year, but if Ron had dug deep enough to see how [Redacted] was with the media, fans, etc., he'd have had to been blind not to see how this would all end up.

Good post L & D...very seldom can your catch lightening in a bottle more than once as Wellman did with hiring Grobe...Bz has proven to Wellman that sometimes incorrect actions has a way to come back and bite you on the Ass! I agree with many on this board, the best scenario would be for Wellman to retire...I do not have the confidence that he is either able or capable of selecting the next coach...Please prove me wrong Wellman.

There might an interesting article or two coming out of Colorado...

Good post L & D...very seldom can your catch lightening in a bottle more than once as Wellman did with hiring Grobe...Bz has proven to Wellman that sometimes incorrect actions has a way to come back and bite you on the Ass! I agree with many on this board, the best scenario would be for Wellman to retire...I do not have the confidence that he is either able or capable of selecting the next coach...Please prove me wrong Wellman.

Hello sir,

I agree with you, my friend. Strong post by "liveanddiedeac". I hadn't thought of Fisher DeBerry in years and the memory of his little face has brightened my morning. I may write him a letter. Perhaps, you can get me his address. Let me depart from this topic to give you a piece of advice though: SENTENCES END WITH 1 DAGGUM PERIOD. Don't go throwing around ellipses willy nilly. They are a sign of a lost soul and a broken man. Have some self respect. You're not only making a fool out of yourself, but you're slapping us fellow posters right across the face with your terrible grammatical decisions.

Please contact me as soon as possible with Fisher's address. You are a good man for helping an old hero like myself.

Good day,

ProudDeacon1948

Hello sir,

I agree with you, my friend. Strong post by "liveanddiedeac". I hadn't thought of Fisher DeBerry in years and the memory of his little face has brightened my morning. I may write him a letter. Perhaps, you can get me his address. Let me depart from this topic to give you a piece of advice though: SENTENCES END WITH 1 DAGGUM PERIOD. Don't go throwing around ellipses willy nilly. They are a sign of a lost soul and a broken man. Have some self respect. You're not only making a fool out of yourself, but you're slapping us fellow posters right across the face with your terrible grammatical decisions.

Please contact me as soon as possible with Fisher's address. You are a good man for helping an old hero like myself.

Good day,

ProudDeacon1948

P&D You aren't the only poster here with a military background. I will opine to say "You run your damn outfit and I will run mine"...If you want Fisher's address Google it and see what appears. He owned a house off Carolina Bl. on the Isle of Palms for several years...do not know if he still owns but you can research under Charleston County Tax if you are so inclined...

P&D You aren't the only poster here with a military background. I will opine to say "You run your damn outfit and I will run mine"...If you want Fisher's address Google it and see what appears. He owned a house off Carolina Bl. on the Isle of Palms for several years...do not know if he still owns but you can research under Charleston County Tax if you are so inclined...

Hello again,

Very gentlemanly of you to get back to me so quickly. Not surprised young Fisher is living an Island life. That boy could swim like a sperm. That news warms my worn out heart. Bless you kindly.

One other thing though: "You run your damn outfit and I will run mine"? Is that some kind of twisted joke, you spineless ogre? If it weren't for me, your "outfit" would be a brown suit that you wore while you goose-stepped at gunpoint. Do not ever speak to me in that tone again, you child of a man. This is why I sit by my wife's grave and complain for hours on end about what a disgraceful trainwreck of a generation you people are a part of. Run my damn outfit. Unbelievable. Disgraceful even.

So how do I use "Google"? Now that I know where Fisher is living, I am even more eager to get him my letter. Get back to me as soon as you can.

Good day,

ProudDeacon1948

Good morning all,

Well, no thanks to "tbird", I was able to find my way to "Google.com" on my own. To be honest, I find it to be a little bit troubling. Whatever happened to knowing things yourself, "tbird", instead of letting a computer learn things for you? Seems like a slippery slope towards you people becoming brainless blobs of skin and bone, or at least those of you who aren't already there. Good grief. Go to the library.

Wonderful news. I found this splendid picture of Fisher.

images

"tbird", where can I get a hat like this? I "Googled" "buy fisher deberry's hat" but had no luck. I could really use your expertise.

Have a cheerful day,

ProudDeacon1948

Cheerful Morning,

Well, since "tbird" is asleep at the wheel here, I went ahead and called every hat store in the phone book. No luck. Although a few young whipper snappers got quite an earful for not knowing who Fisher DeBerry was. What an embarrassment. I realized something though. If "tbird" gets me the address like he's promised, then I can just ask old Fisher himself where he got his hat. Problem solved. This is why I always say that my generation is solutions oriented and your generation is skateboard oriented. Big difference.

In my exploring, I did find something earth-shatteringly important:

book.gif

It turns out Fisher DeBerry is an author. How magnificent. A youngster that I essentially raised has become a scribe. I would like one of you, preferably "tbird", to purchase this book and read it cover to cover. No rush but I expect you do be done by next Tuesday. I don't need a full book report, but I want to hear about every single time my name is mentioned because God knows Fisher hasn't forgotten about me. I must be a fixture in this book. Also, "tbird", find out if I am owed any money for this. As much as I love Fisher, I didn't survive Iwo Jima to let some youngster steal my wisdom for his own financial gain. I will pay you one cent for every thousand dollars we get. That should buy you a new Gameboy or whatever it is you do with yourself.

Best wishes,

ProudDeacon1948

Hello there,

I can tell that I've struck a chord with a lot of people by bringing up Fisher. On these internet posting boards, people like you are dying to spew babbling nonsense to each other, and yet when I bring up Fisher, people have enough decency to step back and just read in silence, to just enjoy being wow'd by one legend discussing another legend. They have reverence for an old lion and his ball coach friend. It makes me think that this generation might not end up knee deep in each other's urine by the time 2020 rolls around. Might only get up to the ankles by then.

That said, I haven't received an address, a hat, or a book report yet, and I'm starting to fume like Mount Vesuvius. I AM AMERICA. I KNEW LEE HARVEY OSWALD WHEN HE WAS A DAGGUM JANITOR. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE, ROCCO?? Get me my dog, Bertha my dear. FIND THAT DAMN DOG. This town isn't cut out for the likes of us. I DON'T NEED THOSE PILLS TODAY, BERTHA. YOU'RE THE ONE WHO BOUGHT CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER INSTEAD OF CRUNCHY, YOU IGNORANT WHORE. The battle is just beginning. ROADS WEREN'T MEANT TO BE PAVED.

God bless,

ProudDeacon1948

I hate shitty parodies

Yes, but the "ignore" button is your friend......

Hello good sirs,

I appreciate your feedback on my messages. Really big of you to step up and call me a "parody" after I reach out to a long lost friend. It's always helpful to just show up and kick a guy in the ribs for no reason. It reminds me of the story of a young Austrian painter from back in my era. This man spilled his heart and soul onto a canvas day in and day out. He desperately dreamed of being accepted as a true artist. He was just a strange, solitary man seeking out the respect of the world. All he wanted was a pat on the head and maybe, if possible, for a young woman to take a dump on his chest. But what did the critics say to him? They said "you're a goddamn joke, son, and not a particularly funny one". And that shitty, loser of a man was never heard from again in the precious art world, all thanks to those brave critics who decided to show up and tell him his paintings sucked. To this day, people thank those critics for putting a stop to a loner artist and blackening his heart, turning it as cold as death, and then sending him off into the world to find a new purpose.

Thank the lord for friendly people like yourselves and those art critics, people who couldn't just be polite and allow a slightly unhinged man to go about his business. Cheerio, chaps.

God bless,

ProudDeacon1948

Back