• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Digital SLR lenses

forensicdeac

Reaction score
Hello Pit:

My wife has a Nikon D80 that is several years old. It came with a lens that my daughter knocked off a table and broke. The wife wants a newer and fancier replacement camera and to use the D80 as a back up.

I have been looking for a CHEAP basic zoom lens to get the camera back up and running. What brands/models do you recommend? Right now I am leaning towards a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR from Nikon for $150-200. Are there other brands that are decent and cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

Forensic

You may want to try some of the New York camera stores, such as B&H or Adorama. These places have huge selections of cameras and I wouldn't be surprised if they have used lenses for sale that people bring in when they trade their cameras in.

Do not go cheap on a zoom lens. Your pictures will turn out looking like crud. Better to spend the extra few bucks (really not much over the lifetime of a lens) and get something that will ensure the pics you think you got will actually be decent quality. Agree with Faithful, stick with Nikon.

B&H is my rec for web purchase. I know a photo editor who buys used there and swears you can't tell the difference - comes nicely packaged just like new. I have bought from the before (new) and been very pleased with both price and selection.

bhphotovideo.com

Thanks for the recommendations. I am such a novice at this. She studied some photography in school and I want to surprise her for her birthday.

Since you're looking to replace the kit lens with a potential upgrade, consider the Nikkor 18-105mmm or the Nikkor 18-200mm by Nikon. While these lenses only have a maximum aperture of f/3.5, they are great "Do Everything" lenses because of the wide range of focal length they provide.

If your just getting a new lens or already have some other lenses, get a new Nikon. Your older lenses will likely work with the newer camera (although your post makes it sound like you only have one lens). If your getting a new camera, shop around and don't just pick Nikon. Look for deals on kits that come with a couple of lenses an maybe a bag or SD car (if you are also in need of those things). Amazon, Costco have kits for sale frequently. I purchased a Canon Rebel T2i last month at Costco that came with two lenses, bag, and SD card. It has been fantastic so far.

In terms of picture quality, the brand isn't going to make your pictures better. That is going to come down to the hardware inside the camera (megapixels, sensor size, etc) and how good you are at setting up and taking pictures. Also consider a camera that doubles as an HD video camera.

If your just getting a new lens or already have some other lenses, get a new Nikon. Your older lenses will likely work with the newer camera (although your post makes it sound like you only have one lens). If your getting a new camera, shop around and don't just pick Nikon. Look for deals on kits that come with a couple of lenses an maybe a bag or SD car (if you are also in need of those things). Amazon, Costco have kits for sale frequently. I purchased a Canon Rebel T2i last month at Costco that came with two lenses, bag, and SD card. It has been fantastic so far.

In terms of picture quality, the brand isn't going to make your pictures better. That is going to come down to the hardware inside the camera (megapixels, sensor size, etc) and how good you are at setting up and taking pictures. Also consider a camera that doubles as an HD video camera.

Just remember, lens mounts are proprietary so you can't just slap a Canon lens on a Nikon body, and vice versa. If you're going to keep the D80 as a backup, the smart money is in staying with Nikon gear.

If you get serious about buying a new body/kit, there is a a TON of information in the photography thread that's a few pages deep.

Just remember, lens mounts are proprietary so you can't just slap a Canon lens on a Nikon body, and vice versa. If you're going to keep the D80 as a backup, the smart money is in staying with Nikon gear.

If you get serious about buying a new body/kit, there is a a TON of information in the photography thread that's a few pages deep.

Right, if you have Nikon stuff stick with it. If you are going to get something completley new and invest money, shop around (unless you have a lot of money already invested). I missed the part about keeping the D80 as a back up. My bad.

Last edited:
Like several others have mentioned, I would recommend B&H photo. I've purchased numerous lenses and accessories from them.

We bought a Sigma zoom lens for our canon and have been pleased. There's minimal loss of quality around the edges (almost non-existent compared to other off-brand models). It's unnoticeable for pictures we've taken and printed up to 12"x18" - it may show more on larger prints, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do with it.

Buy used from one of these sources. I've got a D80 that I love. Bought the body at B&H and some lens at adorama. Last year I bought a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 for about $1200 at borrowed lenses.
adorama
b and h photo
borrowed lenses

Buy used from one of these sources. I've got a D80 that I love. Bought the body at B&H and some lens at adorama. Last year I bought a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 for about $1200 at borrowed lenses.
adorama
b and h photo
borrowed lenses

Damn dude, that's a sweet lens. I'm seriously jealous right now.

My problem here is that now that I have a digital SLR camera i'm just as good as the pros at photography. Where's the challenge?

Damn dude, that's a sweet lens. I'm seriously jealous right now.

Well, I've wanted one for a LONG time and know I'll NEVER buy a 300mm f2.8 so next up is a 1.4x converter to get a little closer to my kids LAX and soccer games. Next I have my eyes on a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, but can't justify it yet.....

Well, I've wanted one for a LONG time and know I'll NEVER buy a 300mm f2.8 so next up is a 1.4x converter to get a little closer to my kids LAX and soccer games. Next I have my eyes on a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, but can't justify it yet.....

Buy a 300mm; that is probably my favorite lense. I use it all the time.

iphone-slr-mount.jpg

And after that, all you'll need is the 14-24 to complete Nikon's Holy Trinity!

Back