• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Does Anyone Regret Studying Abroad?

Steels

Reaction score
I know not doing it was my biggest regret at Wake so I'm curious. Also if nobody regrets it then students need to stop second guessing about doing it period.

The way everyone gushes about it makes me believe it can't possibly be that amazing

pretty much my one and only regret from my time at Wake was not studying aboard. but there is no way my family could have afforded to do it anyways. i do have a few friend who didn't enjoy their time aboard but i can only think of one who completely wishes they hadn't had gone. everyone else seemed to have absolutely loved it

Not in the least. It also saved money because I went through a non wake program. There was a girl there from wake that went home the first week though.

Definitely my favorite semester. Was wary about not going to one of the three houses, but the Salamanca program is fan-fuckin-tastic.

I didn't study abroad because I loved Wake Forest too much to leave for a semester, and I don't regret that. However, while none of my friends regret studying abroad, I think several of them really feel like they missed out because they were abroad the semester that the football team won the ACC Championship. There were a lot of awesome games and incredible times that season, and there might have been some regret in that regard.

I didn't study abroad because I loved Wake Forest too much to leave for a semester, and I don't regret that. However, while none of my friends regret studying abroad, I think several of them really feel like they missed out because they were abroad the semester that the football team won the ACC Championship. There were a lot of awesome games and incredible times that season, and there might have been some regret in that regard.

I couldn't bear the idea of missing one moment of Robert O Kelley

pretty much my one and only regret from my time at Wake was not studying aboard. but there is no way my family could have afforded to do it anyways. i do have a few friend who didn't enjoy their time aboard but i can only think of one who completely wishes they hadn't had gone. everyone else seemed to have absolutely loved it

Curious about the financials here. Scholarship related? My semester abroad was significantly cheaper than the other semesters on campus since I didn't go through Wake.

I don't regret not going during the school year, but I do regret not studying abroad over the summer. (I did study abroad through law school this May for three weeks, and it was amazing. Made me regret not going for a longer program.)

Can you blame them? Who wants to spend a semester on a boat taking classes?

The way everyone gushes about it makes me believe it can't possibly be that amazing

Talking with some of my friends during their study abroad on Skype, and then a few months after, people definitely only remember the awesome moments of their study abroad and forget about the sucky parts, hence study abroad always sounding like the single most perfect experience of all time

I couldn't bear the idea of missing one moment of Robert O Kelley

I was in Venice and it was the best semester by far for me.

It was also the year that ROK had those 28 turnovers against State in the ACC tourney to cost us a trip to the NCAAs, so I was glad our audio stream for that died and I could pretend like it didn't really happen.

Curious about the financials here. Scholarship related? My semester abroad was significantly cheaper than the other semesters on campus since I didn't go through Wake.

not so much the tution. more so the flights and living expenses and what not. most of my degree was paid for with scholarships or loans (both my own and my parents took out one) so any money i would have saved in tution would have just been saved on loans. and we didn't have the money to actually send me anywhere

the experience itself is amazing; the ability to travel throughout europe (or wherever you go) in that capacity w/ so little responsibility will almost never happen again.

i definitely remember my experience with a chip on my shoulder because i was not a huge fan of those i studied abroad with (just different social circles back at school and we never got close, plus i was super self-conscious and probably tried too hard and constantly felt left out) and because i missed the 2006 football season (but we rented a hotel room and watched the ACCCG on espn.360 and that night was AMAZING- we almost got kicked out of the hotel 4 different times). however, even the negative personal aspects of the trip still can't make me even begin to regret going. not even a little bit.

I'm not sure any study abroad experience could have been greater than the OB season. That was pure magic.

Back