• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Does Lack Of Bar / Night Life Scene Near Campus Effect Recruiting

what's the reefer hut

Well according to deacref, he had to wear a miner's helmet with the light on to be able to see down the hall in New Dorm that year. We didn't have to wait for no stinkin 420 to light up. There was almost always a party going on.

Get the parties raging on the quad again and the nightlife will be a positive for recruiting. Was for me as a hs senior "wait, there are 8 parties going on at the same time right next to each other on the quad?"

However that was also the last year they had hs seniors staying Friday-Sunday

Thanks for the Toomer's Corner correction...

Forgot about Sir Pizza. I think you received a free pitcher of beer with a large pizza. Pizza Garden you could pour the grease off of the pizza. Really large pizza and so good

I was at Wake in the 70's at the time of TOG's, Pizza Garden, So-Sorry Room (Safari), Rose & Thistle, and many others down along University. We use to walk there from campus or make a short drive to the others. Downtown was pretty much just downtown. There was only the Pit - a cafeteria set up unlike anything today - and the Magnolia Room as I recall on campus. There were no beer sales on campus (Southern Baptist influence still, but we did name Larry Flynt (Hustler) our Man Of The Year ).

I've been back periodically over the ensuing years and just was stunned during my most recent visit for the Wake MBA golf tournament in April to see what has become of the surrounding area - especially it's stark contrast to 6th St and Guadalupe St restaurant/bars in Austin near UT (granted, many more students to support them).

I have pretty much assumed that college students will find a way to drink whether it is fake id or other creative means. I like that beer is available on campus now. I have held the belief for years that one of the benefits to working hard in high school and being admitted to a university (especially Wake) is that college students are allow to drink on campus beginning at 18. This prevents them traveling off campus, drinking, and driving.

For whoever asked - Toomey's Corner is at Auburn.

I was making a joke, it's Toomer's Corner, not "Toomey's"

Well according to deacref, he had to wear a miner's helmet with the light on to be able to see down the hall in New Dorm that year. We didn't have to wait for no stinkin 420 to light up. There was almost always a party going on.

ah so just smoking weed in the dorms cool cool

Pretty hilarious to me to see "party" and "Lambda Chi" in the same sentence. Not sure if they still are, but when I was an undergrad they were a dry fraternity and pretty weird.

Pretty hilarious to me to see "party" and "Lambda Chi" in the same sentence. Not sure if they still are, but when I was an undergrad they were a dry fraternity and pretty weird.

Funny how things change. I visited Wake my senior year in HS with a friend whose brother was a Lambda Chi. When we opened the door to the fourth floor hallway, we were assaulted with a haze of smoke. My first exposure to Mother So Dear.

This post is magical - early 90s represent, especially that stupid bar with the dance floor. Only thing you are missing is pizza spinners and Akron drive diner.

Yep, solid post. I'd add Rose's Deli and Chesters to the list as other early 90s places we'd hit.

On my recent trips back to Winston Salem, I was very surprised by the lack of a bar and restaurant scene near campus. In my day, many years ago, there was TOG and Pizza Garden, to name two spots, near the basketball and football facilities which were popular student destinations. When I was last in the area, the owner of one of the restaurants across from the Joel indicated they closed by 9 pm to avoid the gangs. Times have changed.

A Wake buddy of mine and I are in Austin for the Texas Baylor game (I respect and liked Jim Grobe) and had lunch along Guadalupe just off campus which featured multiple bars and restaurants. I started thinking about Franklin St in Chapel Hill, Toomey Corner in Auburn, and the strip just off of Alabama's campus...

My question and point is as follows:unlike these other schools, of which I've only mentioned a few, Wake doesn't offer a robust night live (I would say it has declined substantially over the years) for students / recruits. In other words, it is not a fun place to be.

Does this impact recruiting as much as I am thinking it does?

I agree the nightlife did decline from the 1980s until the mid/late 2000s. There were a lot of good, casual bars and dining spots near campus in the 1980s. Downtown was dead. Now, there are far fewer good places close to campus, but downtown is light years ahead of what it was prior to say 2005 and has a lot to offer students.

Last edited:
Back