• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Does Rutgers deliver the NY Market?

DeacKillsaDevil

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2380/does-rutgers-really-bring-in-nyc-market

"The true money for the Big Ten Network is for the Rutgers fan base to drive carriers to put the Big Ten Network on its basic tier so it can automatically generate subscriber fees for every customer even if they have no interest in the channel. But New York is not an easy market. Cablevision battled in a price war for two years with the Yankees and didn’t show the entire 2002 season. Time Warner didn’t air a month and a half of Knicks, Rangers and Islanders games to its 2 million customers in the New York area last season after negotiating with the MSG Network."

Last edited:
College football is of little consequence in NYC. Through October baseball ids king. Then there is the NFL and the pro bball and hockey.

Rutgers has even less sway in NYC.

No f'ing way will the cable companies take that price hike for Rutgers football. If they were stubborn enough to give up Yankees/Knicks/Rangers games, they will not give in for Rutgers.

I can count the number of Rutgers fans that I've run into since moving to NYC on one hand. I don't even see apparel around. The city market is Syracuse's and (barely) Saint John's, but definitely not Rutgers.

No f'ing way will the cable companies take that price hike for Rutgers football. If they were stubborn enough to give up Yankees/Knicks/Rangers games, they will not give in for Rutgers.
Yeah if the increase isn't automatic, no way in hell Time Warner NYC makes Big Ten standard

Yeah if the increase isn't automatic, no way in hell Time Warner NYC makes Big Ten standard

Even if the contract says it's "automatic," the cable companies will still say no and tell the Big Ten to pound sand. Their customers wouldn't care. They have no incentive to agree to pay more money for it.

If the Big Ten says, "Our way or the highway."

TWC will say, "Fine we'll put on another conference.."

College football is not a driver in the Northeast megaopolis: reference a bankrupt Maryland. Rutgers can pull in the New Brunswick/Highland Park/Piscataway market when the Raritan freezes over.

Lived here in NYC for about a year and a half. Rutgers has zero presence whatsoever. People here don't care about college sports, much less Rutgers football.

Lived here in NYC for about a year and a half. Rutgers has zero presence whatsoever. People here don't care about college sports, much less Rutgers football.
Someone visiting asked me where the Wake bar was the other day; I laughed in her face.

No. Penn State has a much greater likelihood of delivering the interest and fans.

Rutgers is simply a body/placeholder for this proposed BTN price increase.

Who owns 49% of the Big Ten Network? Fox
Who owns 49% of YES Network? News Corp/Rupert Murdoch aka Fox

There's some strings that could be pulled. It will be interesting to watch

Who owns 49% of the Big Ten Network? Fox
Who owns 49% of YES Network? News Corp/Rupert Murdoch aka Fox

There's some strings that could be pulled. It will be interesting to watch
I don't get your point.

I wish Kahojiangre could weigh in on the question. I bet he would have some real strong opinions about it, with solid data to back them up.

Someone visiting asked me where the Wake bar was the other day; I laughed in her face.

you should fix that. There are plenty of bars that show ACC games and I know the Maryland bar for football games at least is Van Diemens

I think it's a short term yes, but long term no.

Right now the pricing for cable is based on # of users who subscribe, but the future of television is a convergence of the internet and tv. For instance, you can do netflix, hulu, amazon prime and perhaps 100 others I don't know about directly on your TV. I know several younger friends who have dropped cable/satellite entirely and get their movies, tv shows all online.

The more people get into smart phones, wired TVs, etc the more the populace will shift towards the internet for their viewing expectations. Heck most of the deacon games I watch are through my XBOX 360 and ESPN 3. Technically through cable since I have internet only from my local cable provider, but I'm not a tiered subscriber so B1G would get nothing for my account.

I may get flamed for saying this, but this is why I was glad to see the ACC is putting more stock into the ACC digital network than the older cable network model.

you should fix that. There are plenty of bars that show ACC games and I know the Maryland bar for football games at least is Van Diemens
Yes, I know these as well. Still found the proposition funny

I may get flamed for saying this, but this is why I was glad to see the ACC is putting more stock into the ACC digital network than the older cable network model.

I tend to agree. Keeping 3rd Tier rights might matter a lot more than people realize. The conference is either the cause of this expansion, or had the foresight to see it coming. I am in the latter camp.

Back