• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't be the Designated Driver!

GSOWakeFan

Cautiously Optimistic
Reaction score
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/columnists/margery_eagan/2013/10/eagan_school_slaps_teen_for_doing_the_right_thing

Another example of ridiculous bureaucracy.

School slaps teen for doing the right thing

Call this another case of zero tolerance teaching zero lessons to high school kids we adults strive mightily to keep in line.
Earlier this month, 17-year-old Erin Cox, captain of North Andover’s volleyball team, finished work at the Andover Inn and then met friends at an Andover yogurt shop. There she got a cellphone message from a friend who’d been drinking at a party. She asked Erin to come get her.
Erin did.
“Don’t let friends drive drunk,” we tell our kids. “If you’ve been drinking, call mom or dad to come get you — no questions asked,” we tell them, too. “And if you can’t call your parents, call a sober friend.”
Erin’s friend called sober Erin. Erin drove to a home on Main Street in Boxford and worked her way through a wild scene of partying teens until she finally found that friend — just as police from Boxford, Haverhill, Georgetown and North Andover showed up. They arrested a dozen underage drinkers and warned another 15 underage youths that they’d be summoned to court for drinking.
Erin Cox was one of those told she’d be summoned for drinking — even though she wasn’t, even though Boxford police Officer Brian Neeley vouched for her sobriety in writing in a statement Erin’s mother, Eleanor, took to court Friday. She filed a lawsuit hoping to reverse the high school’s punishment: Erin was stripped of her captain’s position and suspended, mid-season, for five games.
“Don’t drink,” we tell our high school kids. “And don’t go to a party where kids are drinking,” we tell high school athletes, or you, too, could get suspended from the team.
Erin Cox understood all this, as well.
“But I wasn’t drinking,” she told me. “And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I’d give her a ride home.”
Had police not shown up that night, we adults would likely praise Erin Cox, not punish her, for responsible judgment.
Maybe we’d have said she should’ve called her own parents or her friend’s parents or some other adult first. But that’s because we forget the cardinal teenage rule: Only tattletale to adults — and get friends in trouble — as a last, desperate resort.
Geoffrey Bok, who represented the high school in court Friday (when Eleanor Cox’s lawsuit went nowhere), said once police became involved, there was little choice.
“The school is really trying to take a very serious and principled stand regarding alcohol,” he said. And we all get that. Teen drinking is a serious problem.”
But since we adults haven’t figured out how to stop it, we send mixed messages to teenagers. We impose penalties unevenly and arbitrarily.
Kids we catch pay a price. Kids who outrun police pay none. Schools don’t really investigate who did what. And teens learn no lesson because they see no fairness. The message here, said Eleanor Cox’s lawyer, Wendy Murphy: Kids shouldn’t help each other.
Asked what she had learned, Erin Cox said, “I just feel very defeated. When you’re in high school you’re supposed to stay perfect and be perfect, but everyone makes mistakes.” Asked if, knowing what she knows now, she was mistaken to get her friend, she said she would do it all over again.
“It was the right thing,” she said.
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...or_doing_the_right_thing#sthash.f2glrFor.dpuf

Better lessons: don't hang out with criminals. Also, you'll never win against the bureaucracy.

My best friend in high school got in trouble for being out past curfew while she was DD'ing for her drunk (loser) boyfriend. Ridiculous.

If the school has decided to take a hard line on this kind of behavior - which is OK, I get it - they can't be lazy and arbitrary in how they hand out punishments.

The fallacy of the "no exceptions" kind of policies.

Complete bullshit, and I predict a player protest to volleyball games.

Lesson learned - get a better lawyer and you can do whatever you want and get away with it.

Doesn't really sound like it has anything to do with her actually being guilty though, just that she was charged for being there. Attorneys can't prevent charges being filed in cases like this as far as I'm aware.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see a school issue here. What is their jurisdiction?

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see a school issue here. What is their jurisdiction?

Most HS athletes have a character clause in their contract. Oh wait, nevermind. Good question. Schools that do this sort of stuff though remind us all why adults (especially those in power) are idiots.

Most HS athletes have a character clause in their contract. Oh wait, nevermind. Good question. Schools that do this sort of stuff though remind us all why adults (especially those in power) are idiots.
I had to sign a standards and conduct contract for each sport I played in high school but the athletic director and coaches actually investigated any potential violations and didn't just follow a blanket policy.

But on this specific incident, really dumb that the school is too lazy to actually adjudicate on an individual case basis so they just throw a blanket "no tolerance" policy over everything. "No Sam, I cannot come pick you up even though you've been drinking since I could be suspended for just showing up. Get home on your own"

I had to sign a standards and conduct contract for each sport I played in high school but the athletic director and coaches actually investigated any potential violations and didn't just follow a blanket policy.

But on this specific incident, really dumb that the school is too lazy to actually adjudicate on an individual case basis so they just throw a blanket "no tolerance" policy over everything. "No Sam, I cannot come pick you up even though you've been drinking since I could be suspended for just showing up. Get home on your own"

Interesting, never had to sign anything like that when I played in HS.

But yea, can you imagine the press this girl would be getting if the story was "drunk HSer calls friend to come pick her up, friend says no because of 'school policy,' HSer drives drunk and kills him/herself and others in accident"? Crazy that the school seems to prefer that outcome for the sake of their "policy."

Didn't these guys have to sign something??

Dazed.jpg

But yeah, wtf? Punish kids for making the right decisions? Great.

if "she" would have been a "he" and a captain on the football, soccer, basketball, or baseball team, all of this would have disappeared quickly. at least that's how it was at my high school...

Looks like she just lost her chances of a Ron Wellman scholarship for WF volleyball

Having spent a lot of my childhood growing up in North Andover, I can't say I'm shocked by this incompetency.

Didn't these guys have to sign something??

Dazed.jpg

But yeah, wtf? Punish kids for making the right decisions? Great.
Well dome! The first thing I thought of was this film and Randall "Pink" Floyd.

One of my hunting buddies in HS got suspended for a policy like this. He had gone out fishing with a few of us before school one day. He went to school at the regular time, but skipped an early class. Per rules, they went to his car in the parking lot and found it unlocked. There was a scaling knife next to his tackle box in his truck. Police were called. They chose not to charge him, but the school suspended him for 5 days.

Logic never wins in an atmosphere where we try to teach logic.

Back