• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Could of gained a degree, and had a hell of a good time winning meaningful ball games with his buddies. No he is kind of fucked.

“Could of gained a degree”. The 1%er showing how important an education is. Or is this an ongoing schtick?

It ain't hindsight. Dortch just had to keep doing what he was doing. He could have locked the draft. But he made a crap decision.

12/24/18:

There is some lame shit on here. How many college AAs go undrafted? Dortch would be drafted as a return man alone, not to mention how he navigated routes against some of the best defenders in college football.

“Could of gained a degree”. The 1%er showing how important an education is. Or is this an ongoing schtick?

Weird for a WCU grad to be on here talking about how important it is for Dortch to get a degree specifically from WFU instead of anywhere else he could go to finish his degree.

I’m sure plenty of grads of “lower tier” universities recognize the benefit of a degree from an elite university. I recognize the advantage of an Ivy degree even though I never went to one.

Yeah but now many of them are 1%ers like catamount?

He could do have done at a position where a team keeps multiple players and are likely to draft for.

He had 89 catches last year. It's not likely that he'd get that many again with the strength of our receiving corps.

Who made the worse decision to leave early, Doral Moore? Bryant Crawford? Greg Dortch? I am going with Crawford

Dortch, easily made the worst decision. Ain't no Euro league for him to play 10 years and earn 6 figures a year in for football.

Abbate made the worst decision. Great college player, potential AA interest, big human interest story with national attention while lacking in all the measurables for the NFL save heart and determination. He would have been a Deacon legend had he come back.

Abbate made the worst decision. Great college player, potential AA interest, big human interest story with national attention while lacking in all the measurables for the NFL save heart and determination. He would have been a Deacon legend had he come back.

He's a Deacon legend in my book.

What is he doing now?

Dortch, easily made the worst decision. Ain't no Euro league for him to play 10 years and earn 6 figures a year in for football.

His size would have kept him on the fringes of being drafted. He wasn't going to grow to 5'10 or more. He was injured at Wake. Another injury that cost him games would have ensured him not being drafted.

He was 1st Team AA and 2nd Team AA. It would have taken monster years to reach that again. With the improvement of Sage and others, it's not completely likely he's reach the same numbers this year and next.

Being on the practice squad makes it more likely that he spends time on the regular roster. Which would give him a better shot at making a team next year.

At 5'8, 180s and not a blazer in speed, it wasn't likely he'd ever get drafted.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-abbate-412b565/

These are pretty easy to look up.

I think Abbate at least got paid by the Texans for a year ... Dortch still has a lot of time and I think he will land on a practice squad at some point in september, but I don't believe he made the best choice for his future.

I also don't think the system works as well in football as it does in basketball, and as someone said above, you have fewer money hoarding options in football. You essentially HAVE to make an NFL or CFL roster to make bankable coin. Practice squad is a better than treading water, but not setting you up to have the bank account to then do the stuff - like get a loan to start a business - that someone who spends a few years on an NFL 53-man roster likely can.

In football's defense, there are also fewer players to evaluate in basketball so likely more manageable. I believe Dortch was getting 3rd round predictions as he entered his name in the draft though. Those slipped to 4th rd/5th rd in the month or so following his announcement. Not sure whether he could have pulled his name back. Also, I don't think once you start training at one of the combine prep facilities you maintain your amateur status should you WANT to come back.

Dortch spent 3 years at Wake and played 1 1/2 seasons. He also looks 18 which doesn't help. At this point, it seems like another year at college with the possibility of a degree and the possibility of being a 3rd or 4th rd pick trumps what he chose, but again - the Chiefs could lose Hill to suspension or injury and he could be a few weeks away from returning punts and playing slot for some NFL franchise so who knows.

Last edited:
His size would have kept him on the fringes of being drafted. He wasn't going to grow to 5'10 or more. He was injured at Wake. Another injury that cost him games would have ensured him not being drafted.

He was 1st Team AA and 2nd Team AA. It would have taken monster years to reach that again. With the improvement of Sage and others, it's not completely likely he's reach the same numbers this year and next.

Being on the practice squad makes it more likely that he spends time on the regular roster. Which would give him a better shot at making a team next year.

At 5'8, 180s and not a blazer in speed, it wasn't likely he'd ever get drafted.

Just to be clear, he is NOT on a practice squad as of this morning and either he or the Jets have decided NOT to go practice squad for the Jets. One, they already place a WR there, and two, he might have felt somewhat burned and wanted a fresh start elsewhere, but he is not getting paid to play or learn how to play football as of this morning, at least per the Athletic.com

Just to be clear, he is NOT on a practice squad as of this morning and either he or the Jets have decided NOT to go practice squad for the Jets. One, they already place a WR there, and two, he might have felt somewhat burned and wanted a fresh start elsewhere, but he is not getting paid to play or learn how to play football as of this morning, at least per the Athletic.com

he's on a practice squad

Who made the worse decision to leave early, Doral Moore? Bryant Crawford? Greg Dortch? I am going with Crawford

all of those guys wanted to leave Wake Forest for various reasons and they did

do you guys go back and hyper-analyze every decision you've ever made in life? every job choice? home purchase? car purchase? jfc, make a decision and move on

Back