• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doyel and Yow Savage Gary Williams

The excuse that Gary actively intruded on this coaching search seems implausible. The fact that State hasn't been to the Tournament the last five years (and has been basically irrelevant the last twenty years) strikes me as a much better reason why State had problems with this search.

Wellman should find this instructive. If he gives Bzzz three or more years to run Wake basketball into the ground, it will be much harder to find a competent replacement in 2013 or 2014 than it will be if Bzzz is fired at the end of next season. Wake basketball has been running on fumes since Skip's death. We are teetering on the brink of relevancy. Two or three more years of Bzzz could push us off the cliff.

Dino was fired on April 7. Bzzz was leaked on April 9 and formally announced on April 14. It's pretty clear the search was less than exhaustive. Wellman wanted Bzzz for some reason. It was a mistake. Had Wellman conducted an absolutely exhaustive search and still not done better than Bzzz, I would be concerned about firing Bzzz after next season.

The excuse that Gary actively intruded on this coaching search seems implausible. The fact that State hasn't been to the Tournament the last five years (and has been basically irrelevant the last twenty years) strikes me as a much better reason why State had problems with this search.

State went to the tournament 5 years in a row before their last search and it was almost identical to this one. The actual fact of the matter is that Fowler was a terrible AD and Yow is a terrible AD.

Last edited:
I don't think that matters one bit. Yow made that statement in her letter because she was defending herself. She was trying to make the case that the existing problem is really bad and not her fault.

The real problems are, she has that rep she denies which she very eloquently proved by calling out Gary, it's a very unrealistic fan base, they have to compete in Ral with NHL hockey, and they have two of the major powerhouses close by. It's a very tough coaching job.

Yow states that Williams did not impact her discussions with any candidate. How can she justify the statements she made in the press conference? That is a low class hatchet job.

I am also intrigued by her comment when asked to present examples of William's tampering - "There will be someone else writing about that nationally." So, this Doyle clown is her stooge to smear Williams. His comments on the radio show his bias. You don't make something that personal if you are a professional journalist. He did everything short of calling ary a poopy pants.

I have never been especially fond of Gary Williams and wonder why any player or assistant coach would put up with the abuse he doles out on the sidelines. That being said, give me a break with the whining State :tard:

I think that it is very realistic that coaching candidates called Gary and asked about working for Yow and he said that it was not easy and would discourage them from doing so.

It would give Maryland one less good coach to worry about in the ACC and would also let Gary get back at Debbie for being such a bitch when she was the AD.

either way Doyel comes off as the biggest a-hole on the planet

Did G.Williams snatch Doyel's lollipop or something? What in the world triggered this animus?

Doyel sounds like a nutcase -- completely inappropriate in his comments. Were I GW, I'd wither up and die before I returned this clown's call.

I am soooo on GW's side in this one.

Doyel sounds like an idiot

Why would gary have to personally respond to every writer lthat contacts his pr rep? Why isn't gary entitled to his opinion on working with yow?

There's a difference between gw publicly telling everyone yow sucks and explaining his experience with her to those that ask. He doesn't owe yow or nc state or doyel shit. Id reply to doyel and tell him to lick my nuts and get a real job.

I think that it is very realistic that coaching candidates called Gary and asked about working for Yow and he said that it was not easy and would discourage them from doing so.

It would give Maryland one less good coach to worry about in the ACC and would also let Gary get back at Debbie for being such a bitch when she was the AD.

Given the that the Yow/Williams feud was public knowledge, any coach that had serious discussions with NC State without making some type of contact (through intermediaries or whatever) with Williams to get his take on working for Yow is crazy. It is totally unrealistic for Yow to expect that not to happen. Assuming Williams was honest with the people that contacted about his dealings with Yow, she has nothing to complain about. She made her bed.

Yow states that Williams did not impact her discussions with any candidate. How can she justify the statements she made in the press conference? That is a low class hatchet job.

I am also intrigued by her comment when asked to present examples of William's tampering - "There will be someone else writing about that nationally." So, this Doyle clown is her stooge to smear Williams. His comments on the radio show his bias. You don't make something that personal if you are a professional journalist. He did everything short of calling ary a poopy pants.

I have never been especially fond of Gary Williams and wonder why any player or assistant coach would put up with the abuse he doles out on the sidelines. That being said, give me a break with the whining State :tard:

:laugh:

this whole saga is so amusing.

It is funny as hell. Yow comes off as completely unprofessional and Doyel sounds like a stark raving lunatic.

Given the that the Yow/Williams feud was public knowledge, any coach that had serious discussions with NC State without making some type of contact (through intermediaries or whatever) with Williams to get his take on working for Yow is crazy. It is totally unrealistic for Yow to expect that not to happen. Assuming Williams was honest with the people that contacted about his dealings with Yow, she has nothing to complain about. She made her bed.

Well, yeah. They wouldn't even have to contact Gary. This feud has been public for years. Dr. Google could tell any coach's agent that in .745 seconds.

A woman in a position of power failed so it must be because a man undermined her.

Back