• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

duke Game Thread (Thursday, 7:30, ESPN)

I guess DIV and the woke mods won’t let us post “dook” anymore.

I am still trying to figure out why Clawson continues to play an undersized and low skill QB. He has demonstrated zero instincts and his pocket presence is nonexistent. We would not have beaten Pitt with Griffis as the QB. I realize we were a bit lucky but if Griffis had played we would not have even been in a position to take advantage of our good fortune on the “slide” and dumb Pitt penalties. Yet he trots him back out there for more of the same.

Clawson is obviously very intelligent and I am sure he sees Mitch doesn’t belong in P5…maybe D II…maybe. So why? I would like to believe he was saving Marucci for Duke as others have put forth but I find it hard to believe. I am also fairly certain Griffis received NIL money. Maybe Clawson believes he is obligated to play him as a result. If that is the case, he just needs to look at it as a sunk cost and begin to figure out how to better use those $$ next year.

In in event, if continues to play Griffis he will rapidly use all the goodwill he has earned over the last 10 years. Griffis had his shot…move on. It cannot get worse.

I’ve watched a lot of FCS, some Ivy, a bunch of D3, don’t think I’ve ever seen a D2 game outside of the championship last year (Go Colorado school of Mines!) so I can’t say if Griffis is a D2 QB or not, but I know he isn’t a QB at this level.

Our offense has been anemic with Mitch at the helm. He went 8 of 17 in the first half against Vtech and got pulled, yesterday he had a feeble 6 of 16 over the course of an entire game, so I don’t see any of the improvement that Clawson or Les were seeing. I can’t even say his running ability adds any dimension to his game. So the idea of watching Mitch play on national tv again is not one I relish.

I am unaware of any offense playing worse than ours but if there is one, please let me know.

@The Gopher I feel like we owe you an apology. For the past 7 seasons, we’ve been one of the most fun teams in the country to watch (with a frustrating, non-existent defense). Now you just have endless hand wringing about which sub-par QB would be better at holding on to the to ball as the line collapses.
It's all good. I'm used to Big Ten West ball control offense and great defense. A lot of people would call it boring. I don't mind it as long as we win.

Gophers 2019 is our ideal PJ Fleck scenario though. Great defense and still ball control, but we could pass too. Helped we had Rashod Bateman and Tyler Johnson at WR though.

I do think Clawson was saving Santino for the Duke game, thinking we had no chance against FSU.... But man that shit is frustrating to give a team no chance and you could tell from player's body language they were frustrated too. Probably the strategic thing to do but man something just sits bad with me not trying to go out and give your team their best shot to win every game.

If we get the 2 point conversion, it is a 2 score game in the 3rd quarter.

I don't think Clawson threw in the towel and said we can't win a home game against a team we were trying to beat for a 4th straight year.

Instead, I think Clawson truly believes it's not all Mitch's fault, even though he plays like the worst quarterback I have seen in 30 years.

And he truly believes Santino would do worse (than those trash throws into the dirt or just standing there all day and then taking a sack shit we just witnessed).

If we get the 2 point conversion, it is a 2 score game in the 3rd quarter.

I don't think Clawson threw in the towel and said we can't win a home game against a team we were trying to beat for a 4th straight year.

Instead, I think Clawson truly believes it's not all Mitch's fault, even though he plays like the worst quarterback I have seen in 30 years.

And he truly believes Santino would do worse (than those trash throws into the dirt or just standing there all day and then taking a sack shit we just witnessed).
Agree. Clawson declared Griffis the next starting QB at least as early as last summer. Around the same time or so, Clawson declared Marucci wasn't even a college QB. Clawson is sticking with those evaluations despite the game evidence to the contrary.

Agree. Clawson declared Griffis the next starting QB at least as early as last summer. Around the same time or so, Clawson declared Marucci wasn't even a college QB. Clawson is sticking with those evaluations despite the game evidence to the contrary.
Very unsettling stuff.

Here is a fun stat. Jahmal Banks had 42 catches for 9 TDs last year being the 3rd option at WR. This season, Banks already has 42 catches for 3 TDs, though he is averaging 4 less YPC this year.

Here is a fun stat. Jahmal Banks had 42 catches for 9 TDs last year being the 3rd option at WR. This season, Banks already has 42 catches for 3 TDs, though he is averaging 4 less YPC this year.
I feel like he was the 5th option at WR (unless you are separating the slot out from your WR distinction)

Back