• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke Mosby/Nick Knott

I think pot should be legalized, but what is the argument even about here? It's illegal, and if you get caught doing it, you should get in trouble for it. I disagree with the law a lot, but that doesn't mean that these guys should be able to break the law and stay on the team. I don't think Grobe tolerates drinking by underage players either. I remember people getting in trouble for it (not getting kicked off the team though on first offense, which I doubt this is Mosby and Knott's first chance).

That's the thing, if you want to be part of a team and you know that team has rules, you don't break the rules. You may not agree with all the rules or whatever, but if you want to be on the team you follow the. If you decide your desire to do something against the rules is stronger than your desire to be on the team, you suffer the consequences.

The question is if one can subjugate their own desires for their future and the team. They knew the rules. Most of us who work would be fired for smoking pot or alcohol on the job. Both had bright futures, not the first time or last an athlete or employee threw that away. As Grobe said, they made a choice as to what is important. They were not out of school but no way they pay tuition after that. Hope they learn and land somewhere to play football. I really wanted to see Nick get a chance.

How so? There are many non-illegal things that a Wake Forest football player isn't allowed to do if he wants to stay on the team. Hell, the coaches control and monitor when the players have to be in their hotel/dorm rooms on game weekends. How is that any different from Coach Grobe telling a player that he can't smoke pot if he wants to be a part of the team, no matter what the law says about it?

There's nothing illegal about drinking, but if I show up at work drunk, I'm going to get fired. There are rules for all sorts of things we do that exist outside of what's legal/illegal. If I want to eat at McDonald's, I've gotta wear a shirt and shoes. It seems like pot being legal is just too much of a hot button issue for you, so you are making the false connection that being legal = being allowed anywhere/everywhere without any rules/consequences.

it's an idiotic comparison because one of those things violates ncaa rules, and the other doesnt.

The question is if one can subjugate their own desires for their future and the team. They knew the rules. Most of us who work would be fired for smoking pot or alcohol on the job. Both had bright futures, not the first time or last an athlete or employee threw that away. As Grobe said, they made a choice as to what is important. They were not out of school but no way they pay tuition after that. Hope they learn and land somewhere to play football. I really wanted to see Nick get a chance.

We need to get over ourselves. Wake is not the Citadel although sometimes Grobe acts like it. Performance in the classroom is of supreme imortance, but kicking someone off the time for alcohol or pot is stupid. And you wonder why we can't recruit some of the top talent. Lighten up Francis

I think pot should be legalized, but what is the argument even about here? It's illegal, and if you get caught doing it, you should get in trouble for it. I disagree with the law a lot, but that doesn't mean that these guys should be able to break the law and stay on the team. I don't think Grobe tolerates drinking by underage players either. I remember people getting in trouble for it (not getting kicked off the team though on first offense, which I doubt this is Mosby and Knott's first chance).

the argument is i said i wish it was illegal, so we wouldnt have players getting in trouble for it. then in true racer fashion, he invented a hypothetical where he interjected what he feels grobe's reaction would be and argued it.

We need to get over ourselves. Wake is not the Citadel although sometimes Grobe acts like it. Performance in the classroom is of supreme imortance, but kicking someone off the time for alcohol or pot is stupid. And you wonder why we can't recruit some of the top talent. Lighten up Francis

The Athletic Department has a policy of fail 1st test for marijuana, results in a suspension, fail a second time and you are booted for the year I believe. Fail 3 times and gone. It also applies to alcohol for players under the age of 21.

The policy for any other drug (coke, heroin etc) is fail 1st test and immediately gone.

If you dont show up for the test, you are deemed to have failed the test.

+1000

it's an idiotic comparison because one of those things violates ncaa rules, and the other doesnt.

Ok, so how about the other comparisons I've made? How about something as basic as a curfew?

The policy for any other drug (coke, heroin etc) is fail 1st test and immediately gone.

What's the point of being a D-1 football player if you can't do a little cocaine off of a cheerleader or preferably dance team member?

Ok, so how about the other comparisons I've made? How about something as basic as a curfew?

how much do they invest in keeping a curfew? i dont really get what your point is. if grobe enacted a no pot rule in a world where pot was legal, then id say its stupid. what are you arguing?

The Athletic Department has a policy of fail 1st test for marijuana, results in a suspension, fail a second time and you are booted for the year I believe. Fail 3 times and gone. It also applies to alcohol for players under the age of 21.

This is what I was wondering. The punishment here seems like it's the 3rd strike for weed and given that we've heard nothing of them failing before this point that this isn't related to weed. Could it be another drug? Possibly coke? They cited the AD's policy and not Grobe's personal one so if it was weed they wouldn't just be booted off the team.

I immediately thought about Givens as well. But on an even more serious note the loss of these two hurts a lot. Think the last two years with two very bad senior classes due to transfers or being dismissed, we can't afford to lose players like these or we will be in the same situations as 09 and 10.

I agree about the legalization argument. But who's to say that the legality of it has anything to do with Grobe's rules about it for the team?

I agree. It should be legalized IMHO but it is not exactly a motivational stimulant when it comes to gung-ho activities like football. Put it down while you are in the program. When your short stint is up you can roast blunts and hit the cheese pipe till your heart is content.

I immediately thought about Givens as well. But on an even more serious note the loss of these two hurts a lot. Think the last two years with two very bad senior classes due to transfers or being dismissed, we can't afford to lose players like these or we will be in the same situations as 09 and 10.

thankfully there are 2 better replacements in Lewinson and Reynolds. Lewinson will play as a rookie. Fuggin Stud, that guy.

Good to know. Seems reasonable.

Good to know. Seems reasonable.

Barclay sat out and learned from it...it is not some iron-handed rule. Besides the Deacs just got rid of several doped up attitudes on the hoops team and one cancerous individual on the football team. These guys should have been wise to the deal.

I am not in favor of criminal penalties for personal marijuana use. But if the team rules forbid it, you should not use it. Pretty simple really.

When I was a freshman at Wake I could have tried to play freshman ball and perhaps made the team. I was asked but declined. I wanted to enjoy college, and I didn't think I was going to play much anyway. And just practicing didn't excite me too much. Looking back on it, I wish that I had elected to try and play. My choice was to have fun, and perhaps it was not the best choice. But that's life.

Just as a side note: the members of the 1970 championship football team, more than a few of whom had been known to indulge in both booze and weed, swore off any intoxicating substances for the duration of the season. It worked for them.

Back