• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EA Sports College Football 25 release date July 19; official reveal on May 17

I guess we’ll find out if Arch ever agreed to put himself in the game.

More details:

A 32 player dynasty is insane and I'm here for it. The Road to the CFP looks like it could be a relegation system. Not sure what else "level up divisions" would mean.

I could see doing the following on the boards:
  • Tournament using Wake only
  • Single season "Road to the CFP" in which posters draft teams.
  • Full-on 32 player dynasty.
Online 32 team dynasty not cross console yet. Maybe in the future. Other modes are.

Best part of the video beside the Deacon is the Milroe throw to beat UGA.

That looks great! The learning curve will be tough though.

Like that Wake gets a shoutout early on, but whew I have no interest in running the long mesh as a gamer. Talk about an increase in difficulty.

I spent a good 20 minutes with Wake Forest to test the Demon Deacons’ RPO slow-mesh offense. The RPO options include four different kinds of plays: read, peek, alert and glance. You can choose to throw a quick pass instead of hand off, but you have to do it quickly, or else you’ll be hit with an illegal man downfield penalty. That happened to me several times. I didn’t find any actual slow mesh plays, but a developer said they should be in the final game.

I never heard of this:
In the years since the game’s production was halted by fears of further litigation over the NCAA’s name, image and likeness restrictions, I did not play College Football Revamped, the online modern update of NCAA 14, but EA did hire people from that team to work on this game.

Granted NCAA 14 came out shortly after my youngest turned 1 and my oldest was 4 and we just moved to a new house. So my gaming had slowed down considerably anyway.

EA Sports said it went through more than 1,000 photos per school to create 150 different stadiums. There are 16,000 different head combinations for players, including 240 shapes. The game took so long to make because it had to be created from scratch.
The average team has four helmets, three jerseys and three pants. Some have 20-plus options (hello, Oregon). You can see all the individual stitching in the jerseys because EA Sports employs a Creaform 3D handheld scanner that’s normally used for aerospace parts. Here, it’s used to scan cleats, gloves, helmets, jerseys and more, down to the tiniest detail. While NFL players have mostly the same equipment, college football has different apparel companies with unique designs. Those differences are noticeable in this game.

I’ve been asked whether helmets can be knocked off from a big hit. They cannot. Along those lines, the game does not have targeting penalties — controlling head placement is difficult to develop, and EA figured fans would just be annoyed about the rule like they are in real life.

The crowds are also unique. Michigan fans have the maize pom-poms. Missouri fans have the tiger tails. There are unique hand signs and Surrender Cobras. The student sections are positioned correctly, and we were told those fans will be seen standing during the game. Opposing fans and bands are also positioned in the correct spots in stadiums.

Penn State has the White Out. Tennessee has the checkerboard. Boise State has the Stripe Out. Even the Texas A&M red, white and blue crowd after 9/11 is in the game — I’m not sure how that one activates, but special crowd colors will happen for the biggest games in Dynasty mode. We were told some teams have called EA Sports to let them know of crowd blackout plans later this season to be included in the game.

We saw the turnover chainsaw at Oregon State and the waterfalls at Arkansas State. EA Sports showed how it motion-captured players with the trophies, which included making wooden versions of trophies for virtual mo-cap players to hold. To simulate ripping through a sign, mo-cap players pushed through pool noodles. For Bevo, Ralphie and the dog mascots, an EA staff member pretended to be the animal positioned around mo-capped virtual players.

What makes this game feel as real as anything is the sound. You really notice it when music kicks in after the opening kickoff. While “Enter Sandman” is not in the game, “Zombie Nation,” “Sandstorm,” “Tsunami” and “Mo Bamba” are. We see the Army Corps of Cadets jump up and down for “Tsunami” before kickoff, something the TV broadcast rarely shows. Beaver Stadium plays “Zombie Nation” after Penn State touchdowns. Every school has unique fan chants, as EA acquired thousands of assets from schools and in many cases had staff members replicate the cheers for recording. The studio also recorded 41 real game crowds over the last two years, from big to small programs. And yes, I saw sheet music for an instrumental version of “Neck.”

What’s not in the gameplay​

Mascot mode is not in the game, to answer a question I got a lot. Players do not have X-Factors like in past Madden games. Online Dynasty mode cannot be played across consoles, but that and Mascot mode could come in future games.

You will not be able to edit the attributes of real-life players in the rosters. You can edit created players, but there supposedly will be blocks to keep you from making a player like Arch Manning, who did not opt into the game. In recent days, a handful of starting players have tweeted that they’d like to be in the game and don’t know how to opt in. I don’t know if or when they will get updated.

We did not get any more details on Ultimate Team and college football legends who could be in it, nor was there more information about Team Builder, which allows gamers to create schools. But both features will be in the game.

I still hope you can hire recruiting/NIL coordinators and they give you options: Honorable or Sleazy. Hire Honorable types like Jim Grobe and you will never recruit above a 3 Star, but they will all stay four years and allow them to grow within your system and your program is never on probation. Or hire Sleazy types like Bobby Petrino and woo 5 Stars with hookers and drugs. They will leave after one year, guaranteed a Natty every 6 seasons, but you'll be on probation after each Natty.

The fact that the game has Ultimate Team is extremely depressing.

That game mode has ruined almost every other game it has been incorporated into (FIFA, Madden, NHL, etc).....with the machinations now being implemented into Diamond Dynasty in MLB The Show 24.....which for the longest time was a game mode that didn't succumb to the whole BUYING PACKS FOR GOOD PLAYERS shit that fucking ruined FIFA for me. Everything becomes about microtransactions and pack luck and selling more and more coins to buy packs, which the best players are only included in, blocking off people from getting the best players if they are "NMS or No Money Spent". And all improvements in the game from year to year go toward the modes that take in money daily and weekly from packs.

That said, IDK how Ultimate Team will work with College Football. I guess improvements or new cards for players that do better as the season goes along....unless it's just former legends or something...idk.

But I've wasted money on MLBTS24 and don't want to feel like that's the primary mode in EACFB25.

But I think this, above most other sports, lends itself more to the Franchise/Career Mode versions, and hopefully they spend time and money on keeping those modes fresh and not just focus on CFUT.

All that said, I'm probably going to splurge and buy the next gen console to go along with the game...this is going to be amazing....and if that little tidbit that seemed to mention promotion/relegation is true, that's going to make it the best game ever!

Is College Football popular enough to make this game the best selling game of the year/longer timeframes? I feel like the desire for this game beats any other that I can remember....but I also know plenty of gamers aren't sports fans...so who knows. I'd love to see CFB break records.

I also can't wait for Team Builder...that was one of the funnest game modes in previous versions until the website stopped working in like 2017 or 2018.

Can’t you just ignore Ultimate Team? I don’t need to get a pack with AT Perry and Alphonso Smith.

This seems like it's going to piss a lot of people off until it gets tuned right and people get used to it:

Wear & Tear System​

The biggest addition to the game that is College Football specific is the Wear & Tear system. I also think this will be the most controversial part of the game that will require the most tuning from the EA Sports team. The idea comes from a good place and I think as they tune it, it will be a welcome addition to the game. Basically, they wanted to stop gamers from being able to find success spamming the same play over and over by making it so as players take hits, they lose attributes and ratings.

They made clear that this isn’t a fatigue system (like the old NCAA games had). Instead, the way it works is, each body part is broken out and has different player attributes and skill ratings attached to it. As you accumulate hits over the course of the game, you’ll be able to see where a guy has taken damage, and his skill ratings in the attributes tied to that body part will decrease (i.e., throw power and throw accuracy for a QB’s throwing arm). What kinds of hits you take will matter, as not all hits are created equal in the physics-based system. Getting your QB hit by a big defensive tackle will do more damage than a corner on a blitz. A bigger, stronger player will suffer less wear and tear versus a smaller, speedier guy.

This means managing your players’ health will be vital. If you like to run the read option, you better be careful with your QB and RB, because if they get tagged on hits, they’ll lose ratings. This also means hospital balls are a thing, and if you throw your receiver into a big hit, they’re going get lit up and lose some abilities. That means those players want to spam the slant route against a zone, get ready to learn how to diversify your offensive attack or have all your receivers get hurt.

In playing the game, you noticed the Wear & Tear system quickly and it does make you think about spreading the touches out. That makes life even more difficult with a smaller school team, because with the All-22+ system, you might only have one real trusted receiver or running back on the roster, but you can’t lean on him too much or risk him losing attributes. One of the guys I was talking to had to lead a game-winning touchdown drive with his backup quarterback because his starter got hit so much he had lost 47 points off of his rating. That’s going to be an adjustment that you have to manage, and I expect it to be a point of frustration for some and a spot that needs continual tuning from the EA team to make it impactful, but not such a big thing it takes away from the game itself.

Can’t you just ignore Ultimate Team? I don’t need to get a pack with AT Perry and Alphonso Smith.
Of course...My point was more about the fact that other games tend to focus all of their time and improvements and advancements on this mode because it makes them money. That didn't come across well in my comment.

This seems like it's going to piss a lot of people off until it gets tuned right and people get used to it:
Definitely, especially fans of bad G5 teams. But it's also something you can work around with playcalling.

I see it like the weapon degradation in BOTW. It pisses off the lazy people who don't want a challenge. I'm sure you'll be able to turn it off though.

Back