• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eamonn Brennan blurp on Wake Win.

RangersboysWFBB

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...an-think-happy-thoughts?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Wake Forest 73, UNC 67: Signs of life in Winston-Salem. The past three years have been about as bad as it gets for basketball fans in Winston-Salem. Fans hated coach Jeff [Redacted], then turned ire toward Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman, then moved to some weird hybrid of pity, apathy and depression, and I’m not sure which is worst. You know the fastest way to cure all of that? Beating North Carolina, of course! [Redacted] got his first big win as Wake’s head coach and moved to 11-3 on the season; Wellman got his first real sign of progress from a coach on whom his reputation is staked. Big, big win.

yeah beating the #2 team in the country is like beating Jacksonville

yeah beating the #2 team in the country is like beating Jacksonville

no one said that. they may have been ranked top 5 in the country but they finished as a sweet 16 team if i recall. wake forest should be able to win games against those schools. was it a big win for bzz? unfortunately. for any other coach in wf history it would have been a nice win and an ncaa resume builder. for bzz it was his best win at wake. unfortunately we all, well most of us, realize the bar has been lowered significantly.

beating unc any time is big.

no one said that. they may have been ranked top 5 in the country but they finished as a sweet 16 team if i recall. wake forest should be able to win games against those schools. was it a big win for bzz? unfortunately. for any other coach in wf history it would have been a nice win and an ncaa resume builder. for bzz it was his best win at wake. unfortunately we all, well most of us, realize the bar has been lowered significantly.

beating unc any time is big.

You serious Clark?

Beating the #2 team (Miami #2 ranked and RPI) in the country has always just been a "nice win" that Wake should win, but beating an unranked and RPI = 36 UNC team is a big win????? I get the significance of beating a rivalry and the name but the #2 team in the country in the past would have most often been UNC or Duke. Those have never been "should win" games and I don't think would ever be for anyone in any situation. I don't get the need to pretend otherwise just to denigrate or excuse our success because it's Bz. That's what it looks like you're doing. Miami finished with an RPI of 4 BTW, they didn't suck.

Beating the #2 team (Miami #2 ranked and RPI) in the country has always just been a "nice win" that Wake should win, but beating an unranked and RPI = 36 UNC team is a big win????? I get the significance of beating a rivalry and the name but the #2 team in the country in the past would have most often been UNC or Duke. Those have never been "should win" games and I don't think would ever be for anyone in any situation. I don't get the need to pretend otherwise just to denigrate or excuse our success because it's Bz. That's what it looks like you're doing. Miami finished with an RPI of 4 BTW, they didn't suck.

It's only a big win if it means something to your season. Beating the #2 team in the nation last year didn't suddenly make what was otherwise another dreadful season better.

Beating UNC in the ACC home opener is unquestionably a bigger win than some meaningless upset in February.

i said "should be able to win" and meant we used to be competative with a chance to beat those top teams in the country. i did not mean wake should always win those games but my intent was a little unclear there. never said miami sucked just said they were sweet 16 and a top 5 ranked team. they were good. however, beating unc, as you say, is an in state rivalry game, and one that is always nice to win regardless of the circumstances. i don't think anything i wrote takes away from the win for bzz. i said it was his best win at wake forest. wake fans paid attention (and remember) the miami win last year. no one else does. beating unc is, long term, a bigger story. then again maybe i just hate unc and am completely indifferent about miami.

It's only a big win if it means something to your season. Beating the #2 team in the nation last year didn't suddenly make what was otherwise another dreadful season better.

Beating UNC in the ACC home opener is unquestionably a bigger win than some meaningless upset in February.

the Miami win showed this group that they can not only play with the best teams in the country but they can also beat them - so while it may have been "meaningless" from a stanpoint of helping Wake get to post-season play last year - that win against Miami gave our players a ton of confidence that has carried over into this season - therefore it was far from "meaningless"

i just hate unc and am completely indifferent about miami.

That is why Miami wasn't as big a win as UNC. When we beat Miami, people were like "well, it's Miami, they were bound to come back to Earth at some point. This justifies my thoughts that they aren't as good as their ranking." When we beat Carolina, people think, "Holy shit, Wake beat Carolina. Are they finally going to be decent again?"

Carolina has a gravitas that Miami will never have on the hardwood. It's the exact opposite in football.

The second paragraph contradicts the first. Based on the first, we don't know if the UNC win meaningful.

The second paragraph contradicts the first. Based on the first, we don't know if the UNC win meaningful.

Correct. Let's see what happens over the next 6 games.

No shit we don't know yet.

The point is we're currently 1-0 in the ACC as opposed to 4-9 when the Miami upset happened last year. The UNC win is at least potentially meaningful as opposed to a footnote in a bad season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt see us downplaying the win over #2 Kansas in 2000.

I wish we could just go back to being a normal homer fanbase that gets way too excited about our wins and comes up with ridiculous excuses for our losses.

Bz the fuck out.

Because there was good reason to believe that we were a good team that just needed to get over the hump.

It meant a lot to the players who were mostly freshmen and coaches (and to a lot of fans who cite it) so it was a big win for the program coming off the bottom, as was destroying a ranked NCSU team. Just because it didn't translate to huge success the rest of the season doesn't mean it was meaningless. It showed the real potential of the team. But it's almost like you're saying...if we were a much better team with a much higher likelihood of winning it would have been a big win. Instead, it was nothing because we weren't supposed to win anyway and the season sucked. That's seems a bit harsh.

Back