• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elko DOES leave Notre Dame to take DC spot at A&M

I was planning on staying far away from this debate but then someone decided to compare student athletes to band members................... I mean, they bring in similar amounts of money to the school right?

I was planning on staying far away from this debate but then someone decided to compare student athletes to band members................... I mean, they bring in similar amounts of money to the school right?

Oh... so how much a player "brings in" is the relevant inquiry huh? Very interesting. Save for later...

Oh... so how much a player "brings in" is the relevant inquiry huh? Very interesting. Save for later...

you see what you want to see I suppose. I'm going to opt out of this convo now - I've observed debates with you before and it seems infuriatingly repetitive. Would give you some advice though: try to stay away from the extreme points you always make because it just makes you seem really ridiculous. "Band members" ffs

you see what you want to see I suppose. I'm going to opt out of this convo now - I've observed debates with you before and it seems infuriatingly repetitive. Would give you some advice though: try to stay away from the extreme points you always make because it just makes you seem really ridiculous. "Band members" ffs

Smart move.

I just find it odd that there seems to be a water’s edge to financial conservative principals when it comes to this issue. Generally speaking, there also seems to be a curious issue with professional athlete compensation. I just find it curious because sports is perhaps the only true meritocracy in America today.

What is the curious issue with professional athletes? I'm lost there.

What is the curious issue with professional athletes? I'm lost there.

How someone can believe in capitalism as an ideal, and be opposed to athletes making the money they make. I just seem to hear a lot of complaints about that from conservatives, and it always seemed odd to me because they are generating revenue. I think it has more to do with a devaluing of labor relative to capital than anything if I had to label it, but maybe I’m wrong.

How someone can believe in capitalism as an ideal, and be opposed to athletes making the money they make. I just seem to hear a lot of complaints about that from conservatives, and it always seemed odd to me because they are generating revenue. I think it has more to do with a devaluing of labor relative to capital than anything if I had to label it, but maybe I’m wrong.

Why do you care so much about professional athletes who make ungodly amounts of money? Seems average working families warrant more of your concern.

Why do you care so much about professional athletes who make ungodly amounts of money? Seems average working families warrant more of your concern.

I don’t really care. Just find it a little inconsistent that some folks do. I’m all for working folks making more money too.

I don’t really care. Just find it a little inconsistent that some folks do. I’m all for working folks making more money too.

Well, other than noting that pro athletes DO make a lot of money and they do it via pretty much capitalistic means (I mean, I don't pay attn. to it that much) and that's viewed as a good thing, I think any derision comes from that fact that playing a sport is mostly "fun". At least it always was supposed to be for those who *may* be complaining about pro athletes. Which proceeds to the belief that those guys ought to be pleased as punch to be getting so well paid for something most would do for free in their spare time if they could, instead of bitching about all manner of things. At least that would be my idle speculation.

Everyone loves to trot out the Clemson and Alabama machines as example why all football players should be paid.

The issues get murkier after that.

What about FBS players from programs that lose money? (like most non-Power V programs; do they start a mega straight cash homey division for just Power V programs? because Kent State, New Mexico State, San Jose State, ODU, Tulane etc. aren't making money on their football programs)

If the solution is to reduce the size of FBS to the schools that can afford to pay the players, that creates issues unless Power V schools are only going to pay each other, and is it in the athletes interest if paying players results in fewer scholarship programs?

Shouldn't Bama be permitted/required to pay more to its players than WF does for its players? Bama generates exponentially more football revenue than WF. Why should there be any limit on what a school pays it players? Yes, that would make recruiting unfair, but recruiting is already unfair, and does it matter if recruiting isn't fair?

Also, why should Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb or Jalen Hurts get paid the same as the 3rd string guard that is putting little effort into the program and generating no revenue for the school for his play (or for riding pine for five years). Shouldn't the players that truly generate the revenue get paid more, and why should the kid "just happy to get a scholly get a degree" get paid anything?

Why not make every college football and hoop player a free agent after each season, and he can go to the highest bidder each year? That way the market determines who gets paid and who does not otherwise it's inequitable as the few players that really drive the revenue train will always be underpaid and those that are along for the ride will be overpaid.

What about UCONN girls hoop? They generate more income then most D-1 men's hoop programs and more than some FBS football programs. Should we just pay the UCONN girls and no-one else in female college hoop? Same story for baseball, wrestling, hockey or soccer programs as a few select programs generate good money for their schools, while most do not, but can see why it would be unfair to pay Tyler Cameron (just to give an example of a WF football player that did nothing to generate revenue for his school and was fortunate to get a scholly), but to not pay WF national POY soccer player Jack Harrison who raised the school's profile while representing WF.

Last edited:
Weird how our economy has market forces to figure out how people in all kinds of jobs should get paid yet we can’t figure out how to apply that to college athletes.

Back