• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Emergency ACC meeting tomorrow at 10am????

GboroDeac

Reaction score
Saw on Packpride that there is emergency ACC meeting at 10am tomorrow. Supposedly, it is to vote on Notre Dame, no idea if it is full or partial member. Granted their source is WVU insider and we know how those WV folks like to start bogus rumors. I hesitated to post based on source, but this could be huge if (big if) true.

I wonder if it is to vote on offering them an invitation or voting on letting them in because ND wants in. That'd be nice if it were the latter.

I wonder if it is to vote on offering them an invitation or voting on letting them in because ND wants in. That'd be nice if it were the latter.

I'd think it would be vote on letting them in because doubt they'd call emergency meeting unless they've unofficially agreed. I don't want to get my hopes up too much based on source being WV Insider, but felt like it was worthy of at least posting.

I'm assuming a membership vote would involve presidents, not ADs. Guess UVA won't be getting a say in this.

The more I think about it rationally, it doesn't make sense. Why would WV have scoop on Notre Dame to ACC.

Good discussion of this on KStatefans.com although, as expected, it's all speculation at this point. If anything happens, the two most likely scenarios seem to be ND joining the ACC for football membership only, or developing an affiliation with the ACC which would include ND having three home and three away games each year with ACC teams. I could see ND wanting to do the affiliation as it would keep their deal with NBC while ESPN would have to sweeten their TV deal with the ACC for the rights to broadcast the ND games. It also allows ND to keep their traditional opponents of Michigan, MSU, USC, Purdue, Navy, and one other of Stanford, Army, Air Force, and anyone else they want to work in.

I'm not pretending here to be well-versed in the nuances of the various conference TV deals, but an annual six game affiliation with the ACC seems to solve some of ND's and the ACC's TV money problems.

Last edited:
Good discussion of this on KStatefans.com although, as expected, it's all speculation at this point. If anything happens, the two most likely scenarios seem to be ND joining the ACC for football membership only, or developing an affiliation with the ACC which would include ND having three home and three away games each year with ACC teams. I could see ND wanting to do the affiliation as it would keep their deal with NBC while ESPN would have to sweeten their TV deal with the ACC for the rights to broadcast the ND games. It also allows ND to keep their traditional opponents of Michigan, MSU, USC, Stanford, Navy, and one other of Pitt, Army, Air Force, and anyone else they want to work in.

I'm not pretending here to be well-versed in the nuances of the various conference TV deals, but an annual six game affiliation with the ACC seems to solve some of ND's and the ACC's TV money problems.

ND wants to fool around without having to go all the way.

By-laws would have to be changed. Last time I checked Indiana doednt border the Atlantic Ocean...

Why would ND join for football only? Seems to be the opposite of what we've always assumed they'd want. The six football games a year and membership in other sports seems much more plausible.

I think it would be a mistake to admit anyone under anything but full membership.

I think it would be a mistake to admit anyone under anything but full membership.

I'd prefer it, but I could swallow hard and accept six football games plus membership in other sports. I just don't understand football only from ND's perspective, unless they're worried about an unfavorable outcome in the whole new football postseason arrangement, which I doubt considering how much representation they've enjoyed in the negotiations.

If it's football only then do their other sports stay in the big east or do they go indy? Full membership makes sense for the ACC for a number of reasons. I know this has nothing to do with why any of this is happening but with Syracuse coming, if ND joined the ACC we would have six lacrosse teams meaning the ACC champ gets an auto bid to the tourney which is big. I know that this is all happening for football but it does help other sports as well if they join full time.

That's not possible, sports fans are not rationale.

It would be nice if this were true but I doubt that it is.

This is true. This rumor is on multiple boards, but it seems the underlying source is WV scout boards. I think they are just making up crap to try to get ACC fans excited, but I'd love for it to be true. Obviously, full membership is preferable, but I think I could handle taking them as partial with agreement to play 6 ACC football games. That alone would help our contract and be a fun game for us every 3-4 years. It would also get us closer to getting them to agree to join as full member in future. Big portion of their alumni are on the east coast, so I think they'd be open to joining as full member in future.

It's pretty much written in stone that if Wake signs a contract to play a private school on the road and we get excited about a "once in a lifetime trip" that they enter the league anyway.

By-laws are easy. Hell, they would get a bunch of shovels and change geography for Notre Dame.

By-laws would have to be changed. Last time I checked Indiana doednt border the Atlantic Ocean...

True, but can't we come up with some explanation? You know, like a Great Lakes-based one?

greatlakesbw.GIF

Back