• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Enlighten me on smartwatches

NjDeac77

Reaction score
Pit -

I'm an iPhone user and trying to decide if a smartwatch is something I really want (and if so, which one). Couple of background points: 1) I really don't need one, but they seem cool; 2) following up on #1, I wouldn't want to spend over $200 at this point - would rather wait for next generation of watches at a higher price point that can do more, 3) the main trigger making me think I want one is that I have an old fitbit that I put in my pocket and I don't really do anything with it (look at steps, ensure I get up and move around, etc) so thought having something on my wrist may change behavior (and can alert me when I'm sitting too much, etc) and 4) while I would want the watch to have fitness tracking, I'd like to have some of the other tech features (see texts, calls, possibly use apps, etc) so not just looking for the fitbit you wear on your wrist (unless it has more features).

I saw the fitbit blaze is a reasonable option with fitness tracking and some smartwatch features for a decent price, but reading reviews and seeing one in person it seems not that great (but the next step up which gets good reviews is out of the price range).

A lot of other options out there are Android OS based but are iOS compatible (one was the LG Watch Style or something like that). Anyone have experience with these? Do they work well with iPhone and apps?

I was in exact same boat as you and bought the original Apple Watch. After a week I just muted it and ignored the health reminders. It was cool and all then when the fad wore off I never wore it again. Sold it to my brother a few months back for 50.00

Don't do it. If you leave your watch on the sink while you are in the shower and your side chick sends you a text and your main chick sees it while she is fixing her hair, then your day is ruined. I know a guy that happened to...

I don’t think any of the smartwatches under $200 are worth it.

I have a Fitbit Charge 2 that is more of a fitness watch that happens to give me text notifications. I like it.

Sounds like you want more features... The high end Fitbit (Ionic) or iWatch are your best bets... But they are over $200.

I don’t think any of the smartwatches under $200 are worth it.

I have a Fitbit Charge 2 that is more of a fitness watch that happens to give me text notifications. I like it.

Sounds like you want more features... The high end Fitbit (Ionic) or iWatch are your best bets... But they are over $200.

Thinking basic features are fine as long as they're done well. If more features are available I'm all for it. I hadn't thought of the Charge2 since didn't realize it handled alerts from phone - though it was just fitbit on my wrist rather than in my pocket. That may be better than the blaze.

Thinking basic features are fine as long as they're done well. If more features are available I'm all for it. I hadn't thought of the Charge2 since didn't realize it handled alerts from phone - though it was just fitbit on my wrist rather than in my pocket. That may be better than the blaze.

I also have charge 2 - it's great. But notification are limited. Only texts, calendar, and call alerts. If you act fast you may be able to get it for $100 if there are still Cyber Monday deals going.

Edited to say: yes, still $100 on amazon right now. Good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Charge-Fitness-Wristband-Version/dp/B01K9S260E/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1511902703&sr=8-3&keywords=charge+2

Just got the Series 3 Apple Watch a few weeks ago. I primarily use it for things I used to do on my phone - read texts, decline spam calls, check updates from various news/sports apps. I also love that I can adjust my Nest thermostat and adjust my music, rather than pulling my phone out of my pocket (helps when I'm doing shit like yard work). It's also much faster to check the weather in the morning, etc.

I tried a few sleep tracking apps - it doesn't come with a native one - but they're all a waste of time unless you think you have serious sleep issues. I'm also a fan of the native fitness apps/trackers - they're less about steps and more about activity, which is a difference from my previous fitness band.

Back